U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-01-2016, 08:56 AM

86,093 posts, read 72,525,560 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SFBayBoomer View Post
So am I. We boomers are not the "me, me, me" generation. That followed us by years.
Boomers are the "me generation". Millennials are the "Me, me, me generation".

Boomers started with the self gratification meme and it's gotten more pronounced in succeeding generations.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2016, 09:16 AM

6,256 posts, read 4,737,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Boomers are the "me generation". Millennials are the "Me, me, me generation".

Boomers started with the self gratification meme and it's gotten more pronounced in succeeding generations.

Personally I think that is a load of cr@p

Old 03-01-2016, 09:48 AM

13,320 posts, read 25,569,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post
I was a big fan of some of Rand Paul's ideas to dramatically reduce the amount of direct foreign aid overseas. We simply aren't in a position anymore to hand out largesse to companies who are our direct economic competitors, have major ideological differences with, or who take advantage of us.
Direct foreign aid is a drop in the bucket. Now, military aid and financing the DOD and military machinery... another story. And we all know that the soldiers themselves aren't exactly the most expensive cog in the machine, whether or active or afterward.

Old 03-01-2016, 11:53 AM

13,913 posts, read 7,416,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post
I don't disagree with your basic premise that people will be paying more to keep SS ongoing, but starvation? There are numerous people out there with little savings today that, while struggling, are far from "starving."

OK. Let's play the WhatIf game. One of the right wing Tea Partier types gets elected and we have a Tea Party-controlled Congress. Social Security is abolished. The safety net is abolished. Medicaid and Medicare are abolished. Food stamps gone. Section 8 housing gone. It's the wild, wild west Libertarian pay your own way. You're a 40th percentile guy. You don't own a house because that was always out of your reach. You have practically no retirement savings because you lived your whole life paycheck-to-paycheck. You hit your early 60's and have a health event where you can't work. Now what? If you have children, they're likely as broke as you are. You're out on the street with no money. There's no safety net.

This is what life was before FDR brought in Social Security. People froze to death. People starved. Do you really think we're going back to those times? Social Security and Medicare exist to prevent that from happening. I think Medicare is in for a dramatic haircut and the free Medicare the bottom half get where they don't pay premiums and they don't have supplemental coverage is going to be really crappy. If you can't throw $10K to $20K per year at buying better coverage, there's going to be a very long queue for any expensive medical service. Do the math. That's where Medicaid and Medicare are headed when you look at the demographics of what the mix of old people and poor people will be in 30 or 40 years. That's exactly what the British system looks like.

Old 03-01-2016, 12:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brightdoglover View Post
Direct foreign aid is a drop in the bucket. Now, military aid and financing the DOD and military machinery... another story. And we all know that the soldiers themselves aren't exactly the most expensive cog in the machine, whether or active or afterward.
I am not sure the nearly $50 billion in direct aid should be considered a drop. Politicians seem to be really good at spending and then because the total gets so big, throwing in even more seems to make sense.

Old 03-01-2016, 12:16 PM

13,913 posts, read 7,416,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrkliny View Post
I am not sure the nearly $50 billion in direct aid should be considered a drop. Politicians seem to be really good at spending and then because the total gets so big, throwing in even more seems to make sense.
If you look at total government spending, social spending is more than 50%. Military foreign aid is 1/2%. Economic aid is 0.9%. It could be zero and it wouldn't matter.

Old 03-01-2016, 12:36 PM

Our foreign aid program totals more than we spend on science, or on the environment, or on public housing. It is not an insignificant amount. Much of the foreign military aid is buried in the US military budget which is clearly way, way out of bounds.

Old 03-01-2016, 12:43 PM

86,093 posts, read 72,525,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrkliny View Post
Our foreign aid program totals more than we spend on science, or on the environment, or on public housing. It is not an insignificant amount. Much of the foreign military aid is buried in the US military budget which is clearly way, way out of bounds.
Not really if you put it in context that we have taken on the mission to protect the world.

Old 03-01-2016, 01:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Not really if you put it in context that we have taken on the mission to protect the world.

We are doing more than protecting the world. We are still in the ugly American phase where we want to overthrow governments and push everyone to follow our political, social and economic ideals. Now we are just a bit more PC. We call this regime change. At least that is what we call it when caught. Most of the time we just operate in the dark through the CIA. Oh, and don't forget the NSA and tapping into cellphone calls of Merkel and every other world leader.

Old 03-01-2016, 04:18 PM

1 posts, read 446 times
I believe in early retirement at 50 I believe by then you would have realized its all a façade your not going to rich without trampling someone else for your own gain. Also the debt we put ourselves in keep us from freedom. Loans cc debt huge mortgage payments lease payments and all the trappings of "success" is our doomsday about the time we figure it out its too late. I preach lifestyle to my kids not wealth if your debt is low you can quit that awful job you can travel be free however the more debt you acquire the longer and harder you'll have to work not for gain but survival
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or