Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-28-2016, 10:09 PM

2 posts, read 2,365 times

Advertisements

I'm 64 1/2 and had hoped to fully retire at 66, but my father's needs may change everything and I may be forced into early retirement in order to care for him in another state. Does anyone know if SS rules have any "special needs" circumstances for such a case as this. The monetary difference would be $400 per month if I retire early, which I know I will greatly need. I.E., Is there such a thing as early retirement at full retirement benefits under a special need?

Old 02-29-2016, 04:06 AM

4,097 posts, read 11,477,418 times
None that I can find.

Old 02-29-2016, 04:42 AM

6,594 posts, read 7,087,216 times
One thing you could consider is go ahead and retire but once in position with your father find a part time gig somewhere. I don't know what you do for work but should you take SS early in spite of the decline in monthly difference you might still be able to make that up by continuing to work part time. Worse comes to worse you will at least have the SS income to sustain you until then.

Good luck.

Old 02-29-2016, 06:46 AM

19,480 posts, read 25,145,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by edkrane View Post
I'm 64 1/2 and had hoped to fully retire at 66, but my father's needs may change everything and I may be forced into early retirement in order to care for him in another state. Does anyone know if SS rules have any "special needs" circumstances for such a case as this. The monetary difference would be $400 per month if I retire early, which I know I will greatly need. I.E., Is there such a thing as early retirement at full retirement benefits under a special need?
Is there any possibility that you dad can pay you for your care? Look at it this way, if he was childless he would be paying someone else to provide his care.

Other things to consider is if you are moving in with him, and he continues to pay for the housing expenses you would not be spending as much and not need as much income so (maybe) you could delay applying for SS. Can you sell your car and use his car? Maybe there are other things to do to cut expenses or earn some extra money.

There are very knowledgeable people on the caregivers forum who can help with caregiver questions.

Old 02-29-2016, 08:12 AM

37,461 posts, read 61,379,739 times
You are 64 1/2, you are only 18 months years away from 66.

Quit your job. Move in with your father, help him. While living there seek a p/t job in that area.

Then in 18 months apply for SS.

Old 02-29-2016, 12:02 PM

2,782 posts, read 2,081,537 times
To the OP, no, there isn't, or it would have been highly discussed.

Old 02-29-2016, 12:21 PM

1,204 posts, read 872,619 times
Quote:

Well-- I gave up 50% of my income to help care for my parents starting in 1998 and things still worked out fine.

With the monthly $$ differance between 64 1/2 to 66, it would appear that you must have had a pretty high income. Anything saved to use temporarily or do as others suggested.

Take care of your parent!

Old 02-29-2016, 01:44 PM

14,617 posts, read 21,484,997 times
Quote:
I don't agree with the other posters. The way I look at it - if elderly parents need care - they should move to where you are. Not the other way around. Especially if you're still working. And especially if it means you'll have to take a financial hit to do so. Unless that is totally impossible (which it usually isn't). We didn't move to North Carolina to take care of my inlaws. Nor did we move back to south Florida to take care of my parents. I mean what were we supposed to do? Move from here to North Carolina for X years? Then move down to south Florida for Y years? Note that my late MIL first got really sick about 20 years ago - and my father is still alive - at age 97.

Also - what kind of care does your father need? What do you think you'll have to do? When you're in your mid-60's - it's not so easy caring for people (from a physical POV). I suspect there's a good possibility you're looking at a situation where your father is still in his old house - and it is not easy/possible for him to deal with living there anymore. If that is the case - the odds are that your presence alone won't solve the problem.

Note that even if you find a job in your father's area - unless it pays as well as the job you have now - you may wind up with lower SS benefits at full retirement age. Robyn

Old 02-29-2016, 02:16 PM

10,213 posts, read 14,829,894 times
When you say you will be "forced into early retirement to take care of him," does that mean you must provide for all of his financial and physical needs from now on. Have you 'simply' decided you are the only solution, without looking at other alternatives? While it sounds noble, caring for an elderly person (likely with dimentia and other physical needs), quite often proves to be more than a willing family member is able to handle. If so, you could wind-up retired, with a lower SS, worn-out ... and still unable to properly care for your father. Will you have a support structure of any kind where he is located?

The question that probably deserves closer scrutiny is: "What if was simply impossible for you to suddenly retire and move to where your father is, to take care of him from now on?" There are always alternatives! -- Could he move to an assisted living or nursing home facility near you? Could you have him in your home and seek home healthcare services during the daytime?

Check with Eldercare in your area and your father's area for possible alternatives. I'm sure you have thought this through, but, you may be too close to the situation to objectively consider the alternatives.

Does your father receive SS and/or have any income or resources? If He has resources, can you use those to provide care for him(and yourself, in the process) ... for at least 18-months until you are eligible for full SS? If he has no resources, he will likely qualify for Medicaid assistance in a nursing home or home healthcare services.

Last edited by jghorton; 02-29-2016 at 02:27 PM..

Old 02-29-2016, 02:36 PM

20,726 posts, read 16,363,404 times
You may be able to get government compensation to care for a family member - it's at least worth a look:

5 Potential Ways to Get Paid as a Family Caregiver
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement