Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-29-2016, 09:24 AM

8,149 posts, read 8,350,911 times

Advertisements

We have just committed to this summer citizen program Summer Citizens and wonder if anyone on the forum has ever attended and if you have some tips for us? We'll be staying at Merrill Hall on campus.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-29-2016, 08:41 PM

7,777 posts, read 6,387,704 times
Not done it ourselves, but some friends went up there every year and liked it. We stopped to visit on the way by once, looks OK to me. That was when we lived in AZ.

Old 02-29-2016, 09:11 PM

16,393 posts, read 30,282,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WorldKlas View Post
We have just committed to this summer citizen program Summer Citizens and wonder if anyone on the forum has ever attended and if you have some tips for us? We'll be staying at Merrill Hall on campus.

We were looking at attending the Summer Citizens program in 2016 but we decided to pass.

First, I will be the first to admit that it is a screaming bargain if you attend the program throughout the entire summer. If I recall correctly, they were charging about $2200 for three months at Merrill Hall. That is very reasonable.

However, if you are only going for 30 days or so, it is not as great a deal. We really like living in Southern Arizona and are NOT interested in spending that long a time away from home. We like our neighbors and have a lot of activities year-round.

Second, they offer a lot of nice classes all summer and access to all of the USU athletic facilities. However, our community offers the same and we have already paid for services and belong to the OLLI through the University of Arizona which offers classes at no additional charge during that period.

Basically, what is offered in the program is about what we are getting year-round in Arizona (with the exception of the weather). I will say that we will likely visit Logan in 2017 or 2018 for a week as we like the arts programs with the three theatres.

I posted a similar thread earlier this year and received little response. I would like to know what you think after attending the program this year. We have several neighbors here in Green Valley who will be heading to Logan this summer.

Make sure that you drive up to Bear Lake sometime while you are there.

Old 03-05-2016, 07:37 AM

7,899 posts, read 7,112,201 times
If you are interested in this sort of program, you would love the opportunities that I have at home. I can walk 20 minutes from my house to OLLI classes. There are over 1000 OLLI participants with about 100 courses to choose from every semester. I can take up to 8 courses a semester for a total cost of $330 per year. My wife takes writing, poetry and art classes. I mostly take photography and art classes.

There are not many huge OLLI programs like the one near me, but there are plenty of opportunities nation wide and those will increase as more boomers retire and look for those opportunities.

Old 03-05-2016, 08:35 AM

8,149 posts, read 8,350,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrkliny View Post
If you are interested in this sort of program, you would love the opportunities that I have at home. I can walk 20 minutes from my house to OLLI classes. There are over 1000 OLLI participants with about 100 courses to choose from every semester. I can take up to 8 courses a semester for a total cost of $330 per year. My wife takes writing, poetry and art classes. I mostly take photography and art classes.

There are not many huge OLLI programs like the one near me, but there are plenty of opportunities nation wide and those will increase as more boomers retire and look for those opportunities.
Here in Dallas, walking to classses in the summer would be torture. We leave Dallas for the summer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement