U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-05-2016, 08:08 AM
mlb

3,196 posts, read 2,863,927 times

Advertisements

Well - those states that you are running TO will be overburdened with people escaping large populations - only to find themselves harvesting another large population.

We see that here. Utah is a "suburb" of California in that the last 30 years people moved here from California and Texas (during the oil bust in the 80's). Populations exploded and so did the major cities. Costs and fees - and yes, taxes - are on the rise.

We will return to CA in retirement - because we know how to live there cheaply.

To each their own.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2016, 11:29 PM

1,886 posts, read 2,047,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlb View Post
Well - those states that you are running TO will be overburdened with people escaping large populations - only to find themselves harvesting another large population.

We see that here. Utah is a "suburb" of California in that the last 30 years people moved here from California and Texas (during the oil bust in the 80's). Populations exploded and so did the major cities. Costs and fees - and yes, taxes - are on the rise.

To each their own.
I think that it depends a LOT on the view of the receiving area. The area I am moving to has had a lot of people move there since the 1970's when a retirement community started to be developed in the community. (I am moving into the county with the retirement community, but not into that retirement community, but to the other end of that county). The County Board of Supervisors has said at meeting when discussing the budget that they are blessed with hosting the retirement community, and with growth in the population in other areas of the County and this increase in population allows them to have the second lowest property taxes in the state.

They continue to have a small government, and because there are more people to fund the base employees and services, the cost can be spread out and lower for each household.

Now, CA would say that since they are blessed with more people, they can now afford to do a bunch of extra great things, and send a higher bill to everyone.

Old 03-06-2016, 07:49 AM
mlb

3,196 posts, read 2,863,927 times
We're seeing the tipping point here in Utah..... my municipality has not raised taxes in 23 years.

That's about to change. The burden of more people is becoming expensive.

Old 03-06-2016, 08:54 AM

9,321 posts, read 16,592,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lae60 View Post
hello,

I am hoping to get advice on how to cut all strings with California when I retire. I know that CA likes to follow its ex residents to extract taxes after they leave. SO I am hoping that those that have cut the strings can help me

I will be moving to TN, so will not be filing taxes there. I already have bought a home there and have registered one vehicle there, one that stays there.

When I next visit I will open a checking account there.

After I retire I will transfer my remaining checking/savings account to a branch in TN with the same bank. I will register to vote in TN, transfer the mailing addresses to all credit cards to TN, register the 2 remaining vehicles (as soon as they get to TN, may take a few weeks after retiring). I will also get a TN driver's license.

I hope to sell the CA house at the time I retire, but it may or may not sell fast enough for that to happen. Either way I will not be living in it.

The only thing that I would still have in CA is a financial manager for a trust fund (from my parents) that is invested in stocks and bonds. The mix is all over--international. domestic. I hate to think that having the FM in CA would make the profit from that CA taxable, would it? What if he avoided inverting in say bonds from CA and CA located entities? Do I need to find a FM in TN? I do like the one in CA and he has managed the trust for a few decades.

Also I have a CA issued teaching credential. I might tutor or volunteer in schools, and I homeschool my kids. Would that play into anything with CA?

Any recommendations? Basically I do not want CA to follow me and try to extract taxes for anything AFTER I leave. (And yes, I will pay income taxes as a part year resident for the year I leave...but I want that to end our relationship.)
Two years after we left CA and had paid thousands in extra taxes on top of established taxes on homes we built...they decided they did not rip enough away from us. They will do what they do.

Old 03-06-2016, 04:44 PM

1,886 posts, read 2,047,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MotleyCrew View Post
Two years after we left CA and had paid thousands in extra taxes on top of established taxes on homes we built...they decided they did not rip enough away from us. They will do what they do.
So...what did they get you for? And how? That is what I want to avoid.

Old 03-07-2016, 07:25 PM

17,004 posts, read 20,705,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlb View Post

To each their own.
Very good point. I was shocked to read on the Boise boards about how out the first of the month when the EBT cards were reloaded how certain stores had empty shelves. Apparenty ldaho has a lot of people on the dole as well.

And often many times when areas "explode" they're not prepared for it in regards to things like good medical care.

As a CA resident I also find it amusing when someone(especially retired people) leave CA and than go get a huge house with lots of land, because they can afford in the new state. Instead of downsizing. As you age you don't need a big house with more than one level and land to keep up.

Old 03-08-2016, 06:10 AM

12,057 posts, read 5,156,615 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seain dublin View Post
Very good point. I was shocked to read on the Boise boards about how out the first of the month when the EBT cards were reloaded how certain stores had empty shelves. Apparenty ldaho has a lot of people on the dole as well.

And often many times when areas "explode" they're not prepared for it in regards to things like good medical care.

As a CA resident I also find it amusing when someone(especially retired people) leave CA and than go get a huge house with lots of land, because they can afford in the new state. Instead of downsizing. As you age you don't need a big house with more than one level and land to keep up.
There's more to it than finances and taxes for some of us, or for myself, although that is a big part of it. I won't go into it because it's not politically correct to do so, but let me just say CA has decreased quite a bit in quality of life as far as I'm concerned in the last 20 years.
As far as downsizing goes, not everyone wants to downsize. Maybe it's been someones dream to buy a small farm or a larger house and in retirement they can finally afford it. There's nothing wrong with that. Just because you retire, you shouldn't assume one wants to downsize.

Old 03-08-2016, 08:17 AM

3,948 posts, read 3,269,471 times
Population growth comes with it's own set of problems, I lived in the Napa valley in 1963, back then Napa was a small farm town with more pickups than cars, more land than people, more jobs than people to fill them, and, wine wasn't even on the radar back then. I went back last year to see the town and countryside, lots of changes, tons of people, very little open spaces, big shiny top end cars, very few farmers, low wage jobs, mostly grape growing and enough wine to last a lifetime for every man woman and child.

For those who are lamenting the taxes in Ca, be aware that any place you relocate to will most likely be having their own set of problems--soon to become yours. Just as California was wasted by those who innocently went there to have their slice of paradise, the "new" place will be absorbing people on the run from California, trust me, I'm in Washington state-----The new California...Welcome home.

Old 03-08-2016, 08:56 AM

3,999 posts, read 2,552,498 times
I'd like to move to Medford in southern Oregon but Oregon is just a liberal screwed up as Calif. Screwy laws in Calif. aggravate me but its just as bad there, I complain about the cost of living here because of all our taxes, fees, and expenses because of stupid laws but its just as bad there.
I read City-Data daily and have learned a lot about all kinds of places.

Old 03-08-2016, 05:03 PM

23,605 posts, read 31,514,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by V8 Vega View Post
I'd like to move to Medford in southern Oregon but Oregon is just a liberal screwed up as Calif. Screwy laws in Calif. aggravate me but its just as bad there, I complain about the cost of living here because of all our taxes, fees, and expenses because of stupid laws but its just as bad there.
I read City-Data daily and have learned a lot about all kinds of places.
But appears you're just bitchin', not budgin'. I can understand that for a time and to some extent. I did it for some time while working, especially in the political arena. But when I retired it was time to finish up business and get off the pot.

Cutting strings isn't always easy, especially not when it means moving away from family and friends but in the end, doing so can be a grand adventure and I know it's appreciated by many who aren't moving and agree that California needs fewer people, not more. You and others in the same rut might want to give it some thought.

By the way, two years ago California billed us for taxes, fees and interest, of course, for a few on-line purchases made in 2006 or '07. We left the state in '09. They're ruthless, I tell ya. Ruthless!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or