Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-09-2008, 05:42 PM

1,845 posts, read 6,852,865 times

Advertisements

I have seen a couple of these chat threads in the state forums. I think it's time we have one here for all those topics that don't fit. It should still be about this forum or retirement stuff.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2008, 11:58 PM

42 posts, read 145,296 times
Default I'll play...

My wife and I are about 1 1/2 years away from the magic retirement date, and very eager. Our biggest concern right now is deciding where to retire. We have several places we're considering and without going into detail, our biggest fears are weather and attitudes. We're in the San Diego area right now and the weather can't be beat... the area's we're considering have rain and snow galore. The people of the states we're considering also have a reputation on this forum for not liking Californians... also a concern. We're fairly liberal, but don't force our views on others... however, we do wonder how hard it might be to live somewhere with a very conservative reputation. Anyone have advice about these issues?

Anyway... those are our fears, the rest is all good. Time to do all the things we love... hiking, reading, gardening... photography, college classes, volunteering... I could go on and on. Money should be ok although we won't be wealthy. And did I mention time?

So for those who have retired already, and had plans to finally get into their hobbies... is it as good as we working stiffs imagine? Or did that get old eventually just like work?

And one last question... tell us the one thing you didn't think about before retirement that turned out to be wonderful? And the one thing you didn't expect, that turned out to be really disappointing?

Thanks!

Old 02-10-2008, 12:03 AM

61,288 posts, read 87,384,526 times
i recently retired. my friends say its changed me.
i am much more relaxed and not so parinoid.
cats like me a lot more too.

Old 02-10-2008, 04:10 AM

31,683 posts, read 41,024,360 times
Default Retired two months

Quote:
Originally Posted by Counting Down View Post
My wife and I are about 1 1/2 years away from the magic retirement date, and very eager. Our biggest concern right now is deciding where to retire. We have several places we're considering and without going into detail, our biggest fears are weather and attitudes. We're in the San Diego area right now and the weather can't be beat... the area's we're considering have rain and snow galore. The people of the states we're considering also have a reputation on this forum for not liking Californians... also a concern. We're fairly liberal, but don't force our views on others... however, we do wonder how hard it might be to live somewhere with a very conservative reputation. Anyone have advice about these issues?

Anyway... those are our fears, the rest is all good. Time to do all the things we love... hiking, reading, gardening... photography, college classes, volunteering... I could go on and on. Money should be ok although we won't be wealthy. And did I mention time?

So for those who have retired already, and had plans to finally get into their hobbies... is it as good as we working stiffs imagine? Or did that get old eventually just like work?

And one last question... tell us the one thing you didn't think about before retirement that turned out to be wonderful? And the one thing you didn't expect, that turned out to be really disappointing?

Thanks!
Wife and I retired and relocated two months ago. We are having a great time decorating the house and anxiously await outdoor gardening season. We are exploring some hobbies (creative). The biggest thing for me is accepting that its not going to end. So use to vacations and having to go back. Another big thing is that other then Sunday (church) every day has the same opportunities. Plan to do something one day and have a change of circumstance of well then bring it on tomorrow. There is so much more freedom and so much less stress. The big challenge is just the opposite and that is the challenge of change.

Old 02-10-2008, 04:24 AM

11 posts, read 27,881 times
been retired since 99, heres my experience so far, i'm 70
lived in the houston area, moved 75 miles north to a lake area(small town). lots of retires here, took a while to get used to the lack of stores, didnt miss the traffic. hate going back to the "big city"
staying busy is probably the key to retirement, we did some traveling, the wife still does the grey line tours w/ lady friends, i think men get tired of it after a while. we been to all the national parks, look ats etc. tried christmas in mich & colarado, too cold & nasty. did the travel trailer thing, dont worry about political stuff, there are plenty of like mindede folks to go around.
the biggest enlightment was discovering that as we get older, we are so busy doing nothing that there is no time to do anything.
retire is good, it just takes time to get used to.

Old 02-10-2008, 06:24 AM

27,798 posts, read 32,416,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunky39 View Post
i recently retired. my friends say its changed me.
i am much more relaxed and not so parinoid.
cats like me a lot more too.
Paranoid in what way? At work?

Old 02-10-2008, 08:38 AM

67 posts, read 157,066 times
Hi all,
I just joined this forum and thought this was as good as any thread to post first! We are planning to retire at the end of the year. We are really looking forward to it but it is a little frightning. It is such a big change to think about. We have purchased a place in SW MO and will be moving there probably March of next year.

Old 02-10-2008, 08:53 AM

9,319 posts, read 18,740,820 times
Can you stay in SanDiego? I think that would be my first choice as far as ideal climates and entertainment.

Old 02-10-2008, 09:08 AM

5,284 posts, read 20,043,847 times
We are retiring in 5 months - we can hardly wait....hoping to sell and relocate to KY or stay where we are. So. California has wonderful weather and beautiful beaches but we are ready for less traffic and a cheaper cost of living and a new adventure.

Old 02-10-2008, 10:43 AM

7,785 posts, read 18,817,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Counting Down View Post
The people of the states we're considering also have a reputation on this forum for not liking Californians... also a concern. We're fairly liberal, but don't force our views on others... however, we do wonder how hard it might be to live somewhere with a very conservative reputation. Anyone have advice about these issues?
Having lived in both Washington and Oregon, two of the states with a reputation for not liking Californians: there is a perceived difference between Californians in general and the people who are your next door neighbors who moved here from California. The stereotype of "The Californian" here is: someone who likes to talk about how dirt cheap houses are here, and how they can live on what they sold the other house for; someone who thinks things are "more backward" here than California; someone who thinks the area would be better if it were more like California; someone who thinks the weather should be more California-like and complains about the rain and gray. That's the perception anyway, with maybe a slight grounding in reality.

Obviously this perception fits very few people who move to the state, but most people have run across someone like this and it makes the stereotype fit.

So the upshot it: swap out your plates quickly, talk to your neighbors, focus on what's good in the area you now live in, and you won't have any problems.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement