U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-12-2016, 06:07 AM

14,628 posts, read 17,932,507 times

Advertisements

My husband and I were Assistant DAs in Philadelphia and therefore pretty familiar with the crime there. I understand from relatives who still live in the area that center city improved after we left (many decades ago) - but then deteriorated (although I doubt it is as bad as it was when we lived there). Our relatives voted with their feet - and moved out of center city. Into one of the nice suburbs that's been mentioned. At this point in my life - I would be looking for a more urban environment if I moved - not another suburb like the one I live in now. Robyn
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2016, 11:31 AM

14,260 posts, read 23,995,588 times
Robyn,

The large cities spend a lot of effort driving crime out of the center cities and entertainment districts. That generates a lot of positive publicity. However, it is usually done at the expense of the city's neighborhood.
It is great that people are safe three blocks from the stadium but not so great when it takes 15-20 minutes for a squad car to respond to a call in your neighborhood.

Old 03-12-2016, 05:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlawrence01 View Post
Robyn,

The large cities spend a lot of effort driving crime out of the center cities and entertainment districts. That generates a lot of positive publicity. However, it is usually done at the expense of the city's neighborhood.
It is great that people are safe three blocks from the stadium but not so great when it takes 15-20 minutes for a squad car to respond to a call in your neighborhood.
I guess metro JAX - where I live - is perhaps a good example of that.

Now that my husband and I are 70ish - and have been retired for quite a while - I am kind of looking into Retirement 3.0. In a more urban area. But I sure haven't been able to find any urban area in the US that is both reasonably appealing/safe and at least somewhat affordable. There was a piece on CNBC today - comparing a rental and a condo in ok (but not swell) parts of Manhattan. Bottom line was about $5000/month for 600 square feet (and both places seemed to have radiators and peeling paint and just looked old). Yikes. I haven't lived in 600 square feet with old radiators since I lived in a college dorm room.

Seems like there are better values in cities like Los Angeles - but it's kind of hard to live in most of Los Angeles without a car. I'm not thrilled with where I live now - but have yet to find someplace better. Robyn

Old 03-12-2016, 06:08 PM

22,592 posts, read 12,340,040 times
About crime ...

Yes, statistically speaking I live in one of the higher crime cities, Yet the actual number of violent crimes - murder, assault, muggings - has dropped back to the levels it was in the early 1960's.

Everyone must understand that big cities have "good" ... i.e. safe ... neighborhoods, and bad neighborhoods.

How is it that I have never been a victim of any kind of crime here in all the 15 years that I have been living in Philly,but my oldest friend who lives in very wealthy and desirable Boca Raton, Florida was held up at gun point once and had his car burglarized once??? True, these were the only two isolated incidents of my friends life, but still ...

I stay away from the bad neighborhoods.

Look, big city life is not for everyone.

I said in an earlier post that I was probably in the minority. I am a person who thrives on cultural amenities, culinary delights, changing seasons, architectural and historical grandeur, a vast array of entertainment choices. I hate being dependent on a car. It gives me comfort that if I need to go to a hospital there is one 6 or 7 blocks from my house, and that it not just a good hospital but one of the very best in the country. Growing up in the pristine suburbs of Broward County Florida with mowed lawns and no sidewalks and sprawling ranch-style homes with swimming polls turned me off to that lifestyle forever.

Old 03-13-2016, 07:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark Park View Post
About crime ...

Yes, statistically speaking I live in one of the higher crime cities, Yet the actual number of violent crimes - murder, assault, muggings - has dropped back to the levels it was in the early 1960's.

Everyone must understand that big cities have "good" ... i.e. safe ... neighborhoods, and bad neighborhoods.

How is it that I have never been a victim of any kind of crime here in all the 15 years that I have been living in Philly,but my oldest friend who lives in very wealthy and desirable Boca Raton, Florida was held up at gun point once and had his car burglarized once??? True, these were the only two isolated incidents of my friends life, but still ...

I said in an earlier post that I was probably in the minority. I am a person who thrives on cultural amenities, culinary delights, changing seasons, architectural and historical grandeur, a vast array of entertainment choices. I hate being dependent on a car. It gives me comfort that if I need to go to a hospital there is one 6 or 7 blocks from my house, and that it not just a good hospital but one of the very best in the country. Growing up in the pristine suburbs of Broward County Florida with mowed lawns and no sidewalks and sprawling ranch-style homes with swimming polls turned me off to that lifestyle forever.
When it comes to Boca Raton - it has some not so swell parts - basically near the railroad tracks (that's true of most coastal towns in SE Florida). Note that people often don't see these not-so-swell areas in SE Florida. In many cases - towns have built main roads from I-95 to US 1 that bypass these areas. Out of sight - out of mind . Also seems like a lot of the crime I've read about in Boca Raton happens at the Town Center mall. Especially when people are going out to the parking lot relatively late at night.

IMO - Florida - and especially SE Florida - has a lot of crime. Even in nice suburbs. My parents' house - in Lighthouse Point - was burglarized at least twice. My brother's - in Miami Beach - at least 3 times. Once when he was out in the back working on his boat! I've had friends - including a federal judge - robbed in their driveways (in places like Coral Gables) when they were getting into/out of their cars. We lived in Miami for 20+ years. For the most part in high rise condos behind gates. When we wanted to buy a single family house - Miami was out of the question for us. In part because of the crime.

Note that we were only crime victims in Miami once. We had our car stolen when we were eating dinner. At a restaurant in a nice area on Brickell Avenue. OTOH - our track record was better than those of other people we knew.

We were crime victims in Philadelphia as well. Had our place burglarized when we were asleep (burglar entered our apartment through a window after climbing up a fire escape). Good thing we're sound sleepers. Otherwise - we might have gotten hurt. Shortly after that - we moved into a high rise on Rittenhouse Square. No more burglary problems. We used to walk to work (at City Hall). When we had to work late - since we were ADAs - police officers often walked us home. We were never robbery victims - but - as in Miami - we had friends who were.

So - overall - although I don't like the crime in Philadelphia - I can't say SE Florida is any better. We have pretty much zero crime where we live now (although JAX is a whole 'nother story). So that is a plus. We are also 10 minutes from Mayo (5 in a speeding ambulance ). That is a plus too.

Can't comment on the Philadelphia dining scene these days. A Philadelphia chef - Kevin Sbraga - recently opened a restaurant here. Will probably get there in the next month or so - see what I think. Robyn

Old 03-13-2016, 08:12 AM

5,198 posts, read 670,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marino760 View Post
I could never figure out why Florida and AZ are so appealing for retirees. I lived in Florida many years ago and found nothing appealing about it. Hot and very humid most of the year, flat as a pancake, a paradise for every bug God every created. Arizona is so hot, I'm surprised the tires don't melt on the road while driving. It's unbearable in the summer if you ever go outside when you combine the extreme heat and monsoon rains. But that's me. I'm a little different. I like 4 seasons, not necessarily 4 ft of snow, but enough to get fall color and a variety of temps between seasons. I also like to see various topography. Flat land for hundreds of miles around me would make me insane.

There's Iowa cornfield flat and Arizona desert flat, and then there's Florida coastal flat--give me a beach any day! Mountains actually make me feel claustrophobic! I've lived in heavily wooded suburbs so dense with trees that I never saw direct sunlight. Both houses we owned had "driveways from hell"--so steep we couldn't get anyone to plow them. In my "sunset" years I want to see the sun sink into a watery horizon--I really miss that.

I live in inland CT and I'm willing to bet that we have the longest Fall season anywhere--leaves can start turning as early as the end of August and most years we don't get any appreciative snow accumulation until after Christmas. Of course, this is not always the case as the state had to "cancel" Halloween two years in a row (2011-2012) because of snow.

Humidity? Well, I'll take hot and humid over COLD and humid any day. Winters here can get cold and damp, and let's just say "my hips don't lie" when it comes to feeling the change in the weather. The 10-16 weeks of winter we get seem like they'll never end.

Oh, and we have deer ticks and the region is a hotbed for Lyme disease--be careful what you wish for

Old 03-13-2016, 08:22 AM

5,226 posts, read 3,637,448 times
Hot weather, flat land, pine trees, sandy soil. Good enough for me.

Old 03-13-2016, 10:22 AM

109 posts, read 63,473 times
I happened to read the last page of this thread this morning, and I just came upon this news... Bucks County Man Killed in Random Rittenhouse Square Stabbing This Morning.

Old 03-13-2016, 10:34 AM

676 posts, read 1,328,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark Park View Post
About crime ...

I've assumed from your moniker that, you live in West Philadelphia, maybe the University City section. Certainly, that area has improved in the last fifteen years since I lived there, but it still is not an area I would feel comfortable walking around in at night. While, I don't love Philadelphia for many reasons, crime being one of them. It does have some spectacular attributes--architecture, history, restaurants, museums, and as you mentioned the music seen is terrific. Also, public transportation is pretty good. I particularly like riding SEPTA for $1 and a show of my Medicare card.

Old 03-13-2016, 03:11 PM

22,592 posts, read 12,340,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by treeluvr View Post
I've assumed from your moniker that, you live in West Philadelphia, maybe the University City section. Certainly, that area has improved in the last fifteen years since I lived there, but it still is not an area I would feel comfortable walking around in at night. While, I don't love Philadelphia for many reasons, crime being one of them. It does have some spectacular attributes--architecture, history, restaurants, museums, and as you mentioned the music seen is terrific. Also, public transportation is pretty good. I particularly like riding SEPTA for $1 and a show of my Medicare card.
Yes, I live in University City ... three blocks west of Penn and 1 block east of Clark Park. My home is a three story c.1895 Victorian "Twin" (local name for a semi-detached duplex type townhouse). The house is a French Second Empire with a slate mansard roof.It's perfectly safe to walk around even after midnight. Fifteen years ago the neighborhood was a little sketchier than it is today ... people avoided putting nice patio furniture on their porches. It's a different place now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or