U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-13-2016, 05:28 PM

14,628 posts, read 17,960,476 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark Park View Post
Yes, I live in University City ... three blocks west of Penn and 1 block east of Clark Park. My home is a three story c.1895 Victorian "Twin" (local name for a semi-detached duplex type townhouse). The house is a French Second Empire with a slate mansard roof.It's perfectly safe to walk around even after midnight. Fifteen years ago the neighborhood was a little sketchier than it is today ... people avoided putting nice patio furniture on their porches. It's a different place now.
Do you walk around a lot after midnight? Guess I don't - and haven't - anywhere I've lived. I'm more of a morning person .

Most people in most places will avoid putting nice patio furniture with decent metal resale value outside in easily accessible to the public areas when it isn't drilled into concrete these days. Suspect that is true where you live - as it is elsewhere.

Apart from anything else - I would question having a 3 story house as I got older (although I realize you bought your place when you were younger). No matter where you live. The last time we had a 2 story place was a hotel room in New Orleans. And my husband had difficulty managing the stairs. The places we've owned have always been one story (high rise condos or houses).

So what will you do when you can't manage the stairs in your place when you get older? Which will happen - sooner or later - assuming you live long enough. Note that I realize this isn't only a problem for you - in a city like Philadelphia. It's a problem for seniors all around the country - in all kinds of areas.

When we built our house 20 years ago - we designed it as a house to "age in place". And it has worked out great in that regard. If I could magically move our house from here to another place that I think I would enjoy more - well that would be fun (although it is of course impossible). Robyn
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2016, 06:03 PM

30,718 posts, read 49,520,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robyn55 View Post
... Most people in most places will avoid putting nice patio furniture with decent metal resale value outside in easily accessible to the public areas when it isn't drilled into concrete these days. Suspect that is true where you live - as it is elsewhere.
I have lived in places like that. I would not want to retire to a place like that.

Our car keys are left in the vehicles. Our house front door was locked once, the day I hung the door. I gave my Dw her key and it has not been locked since that day.

[I don't but] a lot of people here leave their cars unlocked with engines running when they go shopping in winter, to keep the heater going.

The only time I have heard of anyone locking their car around here is in summer, to stop cars from being loaded up with spare tomatoes and zucchini.

Nobody bolts-down outdoor furniture around here.

Old 03-13-2016, 07:29 PM

7,312 posts, read 4,180,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Submariner View Post
I have lived in places like that. I would not want to retire to a place like that.

Our car keys are left in the vehicles. Our house front door was locked once, the day I hung the door. I gave my Dw her key and it has not been locked since that day.

[I don't but] a lot of people here leave their cars unlocked with engines running when they go shopping in winter, to keep the heater going.

The only time I have heard of anyone locking their car around here is in summer, to stop cars from being loaded up with spare tomatoes and zucchini.

Nobody bolts-down outdoor furniture around here.

I don't bolt down my furniture either. And I have no problem walking around after dark. I do carry my pistol after dark, but only because some habits are hard to break. When I go to the dog park, I leave my windows down. Nobody goes rummaging through my vehicle. The city works for some people, but I would find it way too suffocating.

Old 03-14-2016, 06:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaskaErik View Post
I don't bolt down my furniture either. And I have no problem walking around after dark. I do carry my pistol after dark, but only because some habits are hard to break. When I go to the dog park, I leave my windows down. Nobody goes rummaging through my vehicle. The city works for some people, but I would find it way too suffocating.
I know people who've had issues in cities. But I also know people who've had issues in rural areas as well. I had one friend who lived in rural Kentucky. He was a metal sculptor - and often had to deal with theft of his materials. It got so bad that he wound up moving to a small city in another state. Where he doesn't have any problems. IOW - it's impossible to generalize WRT urban versus rural areas.

I find it odd that anyone would carry a gun in a place he/she thinks is "safe" while also leaving a car wide open. I think most "normal" people in most "normal" places lock their cars and don't carry guns. FWIW - I was surprised to see that Florida is actually below the national average when it comes to auto theft. Maine is very below the national average. While both Alaska and Arizona are higher than the national average:

The Best And Worst States For Drivers | Bankrate.com

I was also surprised to find out that California cities dominate lists of cities with the highest auto theft rates:

These are worst cities in the nation for car theft - Business Insider

Perhaps it's because California is so car-dependent ?

We always lock our car. Although locking our car didn't deter the thieves who stole it in Miami (they punched out the old fashioned door locks on that particular vehicle). Robyn

Old 03-14-2016, 08:08 AM

371 posts, read 398,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robyn55 View Post
We always lock our car. Although locking our car didn't deter the thieves who stole it in Miami (they punched out the old fashioned door locks on that particular vehicle). Robyn
My state (Vermont) is #2 on the list of best places for drivers. That said, I always lock my car and my apartment. Many crimes are simply a result of opportunity. Leaving your house unlocked, or your keys in the car, is just an invitation to a thief or worse.

A good example is many years ago, back in the 80's, there was a serial killer on the loose in the Upper Valley of New Hampshire/Vermont. One poor victim was a woman relaxing in her backyard who went inside through the back door (leaving it unlocked) to get a drink or something. She was being watched the entire time and the killer followed her into the house. I am sure this poor woman never dreamed of locking the door behind her.

I grew up in NYC and spent most of my life there. When I first moved to New Hampshire, a friend remarked that I was "paranoid" as I would lock my back door whenever I came in if even for a few moments before going back out again. I would remind her of the above story. People living in rural areas where crime is almost non-existent become complacent. It only takes one random thief (or worse) to turn it all around.

Old 03-14-2016, 03:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soup Nazi View Post
My state (Vermont) is #2 on the list of best places for drivers. That said, I always lock my car and my apartment. Many crimes are simply a result of opportunity. Leaving your house unlocked, or your keys in the car, is just an invitation to a thief or worse.

A good example is many years ago, back in the 80's, there was a serial killer on the loose in the Upper Valley of New Hampshire/Vermont. One poor victim was a woman relaxing in her backyard who went inside through the back door (leaving it unlocked) to get a drink or something. She was being watched the entire time and the killer followed her into the house. I am sure this poor woman never dreamed of locking the door behind her.

I grew up in NYC and spent most of my life there. When I first moved to New Hampshire, a friend remarked that I was "paranoid" as I would lock my back door whenever I came in if even for a few moments before going back out again. I would remind her of the above story. People living in rural areas where crime is almost non-existent become complacent. It only takes one random thief (or worse) to turn it all around.
I always lock my car and keep the house doors locked too. Except when I'm outside doing gardening and similar. Even then - only the back door is unlocked. Although we live in a very low crime area - our county sheriff reminds us all the time that many crimes are simply crimes of opportunity:

Marsh Landing Master Association. A residential community in Ponte Vedra Beach, Florida

Often involving local kids. A fair number of whom are pampered jerks. Stealing for kicks.

IMO - drug use - and meth labs and the like - are rampant in a lot of rural parts of the US these days. Some suburbs too (we had a meth lab bust in a fairly expensive condo a few miles away from us a couple of years ago). So just because you don't live in a big city doesn't mean you're safe. And - even before these drug problems - there was this kind of thing:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/In_Cold_Blood

In all honesty - I don't understand why anything would think it's a big deal to lock your car and lock your house. Even in low crime areas. We have smoke detectors - even though the odds of having a fire in our place and dying from smoke inhalation are very low. Robyn

Old 03-14-2016, 03:35 PM

676 posts, read 1,330,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark Park View Post
Yes, I live in University City ... three blocks west of Penn and 1 block east of Clark Park. My home is a three story c.1895 Victorian "Twin" (local name for a semi-detached duplex type townhouse). The house is a French Second Empire with a slate mansard roof.It's perfectly safe to walk around even after midnight. Fifteen years ago the neighborhood was a little sketchier than it is today ... people avoided putting nice patio furniture on their porches. It's a different place now.
Your house sounds spectacular. I have often noted the beautiful old houses in that area.

Old 03-14-2016, 04:12 PM

14,059 posts, read 20,411,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by f5fstop View Post
But these states fully tax SS benefits: Colorado
Nope.
Colorado exempts the first $20K of pension income.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or