U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-03-2016, 07:38 AM

11,091 posts, read 12,478,899 times

Advertisements

All these best states things are very subjective and biased with the author, who is typically sitting in a New York café sipping their $12 coffee and has no clue about a particular state and probably has no idea where some even are.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2016, 07:50 AM

5,226 posts, read 3,639,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark Park View Post
I agree.

Not to put places like Wyoming down ... but ... when I retire (coming soon!) I don't want to live in a place with long snowy winters.

Who doesn't fear tripping and falling in the snow or ice? Or even driving in those kinds of conditions???

The criteria is so bogus!

I like visiting world class museums, going to a renowned symphony, hearing brilliant lecturers and speakers, attending special events that draws in people from around the world, and not the least I still like nightlife like going to a jazz club or having expertly made cocktails in an elegant setting on the 40th floor penthouse with views. Where am I going to get that in the Dakotas or Wyoming or Idaho?

Sure, cost of living is low ... you could probably buy a house there for $35,000 ... because not many people want to live there.

In my view the best health care - I mean the very best hospitals - you get in places like New York (Memorial Sloan Kettering or Columbia/NYU/Presbyterian) or Boston (Brigham and Women's Hospital), or Baltimore (Johns Hopkins) or St. Louis (Barnes Jewish) or Chicago (Northwestern) or Cleveland (the Cleveland) Clinic) or Philly (Hospital of the University of Pennsylvania and Thomas Jefferson University Hosp.), LA (Cedars/Sinai and UCLA) ... the only one not in a big city that rates among the best is the Mayo Clinic in Rochester, Minnesota. I think the quality of nearby hospitals should be very high on any list of living places for seniors.
From CD

Estimated median house or condo value in 2013: $190,615 (it was $100,400 in 2000)
Cheyenne:

$190,615
WY:

$195,500

Mean prices in 2013: All housing units: $188,390; Detached houses: $191,380; Townhouses or other attached units: $163,474; In 2-unit structures: $319,748; In 3-to-4-unit structures: $81,499; In 5-or-more-unit structures: $201,629; Mobile homes: $104,109

Median gross rent in 2013: $754.

Old 03-03-2016, 08:47 AM

30,685 posts, read 49,462,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jim9251 View Post
All these best states things are very subjective and biased with the author, who is typically sitting in a New York café sipping their $12 coffee and has no clue about a particular state and probably has no idea where some even are.
That is funny right there, I agree.

Old 03-03-2016, 09:06 AM

6,256 posts, read 4,737,090 times
Hidden gems in Nebraska... compared with where? I have been through and spent time in Nebraska plenty of times. It is about as uninteresting as any State I can think of. Even Kansas would come out ahead.

Wyoming for healthcare? If I had anything serious that required healthcare I would not start looking in Wyoming. If I was in Wyoming, I would be looking for the nearest airport.

Old 03-03-2016, 09:35 AM

23,587 posts, read 17,582,380 times
After living in Iowa and visiting Florida enough to get a taste of it, I have no idea why anyone would live in IA or FL, provided they don't need employment.

IA has poor scenery compared to FL, poor weather (constant snow/wind in winter and hellish thunderstorms in spring/summer), standoffish people, isn't diverse in any respect, has less to do culturally.

You'd have to be completely brain dead to vote for IA.

Old 03-03-2016, 09:39 AM

4,481 posts, read 4,745,031 times

Old 03-03-2016, 09:46 AM

2,167 posts, read 1,266,787 times
Well, at least they got Virginia right..hehehehe

Old 03-03-2016, 11:04 AM

6,579 posts, read 3,670,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Perryinva View Post
Well, at least they got Virginia right..hehehehe

Even a blind pig finds an acorn once in a while.

Old 03-03-2016, 06:33 PM

89 posts, read 97,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrkliny View Post
Hidden gems in Nebraska... compared with where? I have been through and spent time in Nebraska plenty of times. It is about as uninteresting as any State I can think of. Even Kansas would come out ahead.

Wyoming for healthcare? If I had anything serious that required healthcare I would not start looking in Wyoming. If I was in Wyoming, I would be looking for the nearest airport.
Nebraska can't be nearly as interesting as you. It has some of the best hospitals in America, a balanced state budget with a huge rainy day fund. Some of the lowest unemployment in America. 3 State Universites and private Universities, with all of the advance education, cultural and athletic opportunities you can afford. This year I've seen Paul McCartney, Elton John, Wicked, Phantom, The Book of Mormon, etc. in my **** hole little gem. Who's the uninteresting rube?

Old 03-03-2016, 09:12 PM

5,950 posts, read 5,305,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjpike View Post
Nebraska can't be nearly as interesting as you. It has some of the best hospitals in America, a balanced state budget with a huge rainy day fund. Some of the lowest unemployment in America. 3 State Universites and private Universities, with all of the advance education, cultural and athletic opportunities you can afford. This year I've seen Paul McCartney, Elton John, Wicked, Phantom, The Book of Mormon, etc. in my **** hole little gem. Who's the uninteresting rube?
Pro sports? Only 3 Universities? Major cities have a wide selection of concerts weekly. Its nice to have a balanced budget but did infrastructure suffer to get there?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or