U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-04-2016, 04:33 PM

3,346 posts, read 3,051,120 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by John1960 View Post
Any guesses on the best state for retirees? Nope, not Florida, which isn't even close, geographically speaking. After crunching data on factors such as cost of living, taxes, health care, weather, and well-being, Bankrate has anointed Wyoming the nation's best choice for retirees.

Top 10 States for Retirement

10 Best States For Retirement | Bankrate.com

Only 2 places I would even remotely consider on their list: CO and AZ.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2016, 04:49 PM

22,592 posts, read 12,342,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robyn55 View Post
Wow - when's the last time or ever you were in a place like Jackson Hole Wyoming or Sun Valley Idaho or similar. These are places where people with lots of seriously big money buy 2nd/3rd/4th (often vacation) places that cost many multiples of what you paid for your primary residence.

And Ted Turner - second largest landholder in the US - 2 million acres - owns a lot of land in these states. So there must be something going for the area.

Turner Ranches Map - Turner Enterprises

I don't think you're familiar with all the great medical places in the US. How about MD Anderson in Houston? Or Mayo here in JAX? If you ever need an organ transplant - I guarantee you'll be better off here at Mayo JAX than anywhere in the NE because of its very short wait lists (which some attribute to our moto donors - young healthy motorcycle riders who get killed in motorcycle crashes - no helmet law in Florida).
Robyn,

Oops, , I goofed on the real estate prices ... in that area homes are far more expensive than I imagined. I did a quick check at Realtor.com. On the other other hand I was not impressed with the architecture or historical character of those homes and neighborhood.

In regards with the top rated health care facilities, the places you mention do not rate in the top ten or twentry according to US News & World Report. However I will concede that Bascom Palmer Eye Institute in Miami rates #1 of all eye hospitals in the use. The best place to go if you need cataracts or a detached retina corrected.

However the bottom line is the amenities you enjoy. If you're a trout fisherman places will seem attractive to you that an opera lover and museum goer would take a pass on.

Old 03-04-2016, 04:51 PM

1,886 posts, read 2,301,174 times
I have been to all 50 states. California, New York and NYC, and Florida have all been several months each summers and winters. I have been to all the top 50 major cities for as much as 1 month at a time.

After trips to Boston, Washington DC, NYC, LA San Fran, San Diego, Seattle, Chicago, Miami, I can feel the stress going right out of me when the plane lands in Omaha or Lincoln. It's an unbelievable good feeling.

Nebraska for me is an Island of sanity in the middle of the country.

The only other states that I would consider for retirement would be South Dakota and Wyoming.

Old 03-04-2016, 05:20 PM

547 posts, read 388,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy in Wyoming View Post
I'e lived n Wyoming for thirteen years; I wouldn't move for anything. I'm in the northern desert region but only about thirty miles from Yellowstone. every summer I see the half million tourists who travel from countries around the world for the vacation of a lifetime. More travel from Jackson bringing the total to two million. But I'm on a permanent vacation. I'm looking out my window. I see a blue sky without a cloud. Under that blue sky is the Playground of the Gods, an area of fantastic rock formations. There's snow a few miles away on some peaks over 10,000', but none below that.

I'll drive to town today to do some shopping. There won't be any traffic. There won't be any panhandlers or predators. I'll still have a gun in my pocket and I need no one's permission to carry it. Except for the cars it won't look much different in town from fifty or sixty years ago.

There are no income inheritance or estate taxes here. Sales tax is four percent; real estate tax is about 1/2 of 1 percent of market value.

Winters can be chilly, but much of the state sees snow come in the morning and be gone in the afternoon. Hot humid summer days are unknown.

There's no diversity but, unlike Vermont, few liberals. So many have moved here as refugees. I was one coming from sad, broken Colorado. Here I'm right at home as a political conservative. Freedom is in the air. This is still the America we once knew. This is paradise.
now thats a great post

Old 03-04-2016, 09:18 PM

9,219 posts, read 8,310,003 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John1960 View Post
Any guesses on the best state for retirees? Nope, not Florida, which isn't even close, geographically speaking. After crunching data on factors such as cost of living, taxes, health care, weather, and well-being, Bankrate has anointed Wyoming the nation's best choice for retirees.

Top 10 States for Retirement

10 Best States For Retirement | Bankrate.com
Not one of those states would I live in.

Old 03-04-2016, 11:21 PM

3,491 posts, read 5,667,868 times
Quote:
Where in Texas? It's a very large very diverse state (I've taken multiple trips there and once drove end to end). Robyn
Hill Country around San Antone and Austin or possibly Midland,Abilene,San Angelo, or Corpus.

Last edited by Westerntraveler; 03-04-2016 at 11:29 PM..

Old 03-05-2016, 04:29 AM

9,583 posts, read 10,930,257 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by treeluvr View Post
Nebraska is for those who are tired of high crime, traffic hassles, rude people and everything else that goes with the high population of the more popular states. Whether or not you think it is a beautiful state is a matter of opinion. After sixteen years in an east coast city, Nebraska has started to look to me like a last bit of heaven left in the increasingly overpopulated U.S. More cows than cars sounds good to me and I don't mind a bit if no one else can appreciate its attraction.
Nebraska has some very stinky gun laws which prevented its making even our preliminary list. It's surprising but true.

Quote:

And - to Happy In Wyoming - be honest - how cold does it get in Wyoming in the winter (have only been there once - in the winter - and it was plenty cold)? Looks like you'll have snow next week. for me. If all this global warming stuff happens - perhaps Wyoming will be the great place to retire in the 22nd century ? Note that I would have been perfectly happy to have a winter place in Florida - and a summer place in somewhere like Wyoming (beautiful place) when we were younger. But my husband and I were always the non-handy type - and owning even 1 house and keeping it up has always been a stretch for us. Of course - as we've gotten older - 2 places are out of the question. I think it takes a certain type to live where and how you do. And my husband and I aren't the type. But I'm glad you found a good fit for you. If you ever want to move to a warmer climate - I think NE Florida might be a good fit for you in terms of politics and similar. Robyn
You were in Yellowstone in the winter. Temperatures colder than -50 have been recorded there. I wish that would happen again. Ten days of -50 would knock out the pine beetles for decades.

Wyoming is a fairly large state so it has a variety of climates and a plethora of microclimates. I lived in SW Wyoming for five years ; I now live in NW Wyoming.

I was in the Evanston area on the Utah state line. Evanston is 7500'; it does receive a fair amount of snow and the ground can have snow for several weeks at a time. It's not horribly cold, however, and has the lowest winds in the state. I believe that the lowest temperature while I was there was a bit colder than -20, but that was rare. Generally it didn't go more than ten degrees or so below zero. The spring thaw is on average in late April. There's a running joke that there's an annual Halloween snowstorm. Evanston is well west of the southern Wyoming blizzard belt. Here's the current weather forecast. There's a three day history with a link.

I must mention that Evanston is only eighty miles from Salt Lake which is a big city that even has a ballet company. Remember ash trays filled with sand. In Utah they're filled with rock salt. Sorry, they're all outside now. You'll need to come to Wyoming to find a restaurant where you can smoke. There aren't many left, however.

National Weather Service

I've lived near Cody for the past five years. There are warm spells in the winter. Late January and sometimes all of February can be quite mild. It was 61 today. The snow months are March, April, and May. It can be very windy here. We have wind events rather often when wind gusts exceed 70 mph. However, high winds bring warmer temperatures. We had a couple of weeks this year when the lows averaged perhaps -3. I live twenty miles west of Cody where it's windier, but I've seen temperatures thirty degrees higher in the winter, e.g., 0 in Cody, 30 here. It rarely goes below -10. I'm near the edge of the Big Horn Basin which can be very cold east of Cody. Cody is closer to the cold country than I am. It hasn't been terribly cold for several years although next winter is currently predicted to be very cold for several months throughout the West.

Many people have and second and third homes in this area. Rural homes have more land and consequently higher prices. A forty acre parcel, about average size, runs 300k and up where I am. Many houses are worth less than the land. A million buys a very decent house with a hundred acres. Land prices are lower for larger parcels.

I grew up in Illinois. I hated hot and humid summers then as I still do today. Take a look at the humidity on the linked NWS page. I've been in Florida in the summer. Uh-uh. I was hiking once in the Superstition Wilderness in Arizona when the temperature was 122. It wasn't remotely as bad as 90 in the wet country. Wyoming often has a heat index lower than the ambient temperature in summer.

National Weather Service

Here are some interesting videos. The second is dedicated to Clark Park.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=znckAR_dyNg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jbYBcZxTVdI

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o9t5_nelL_g

Last edited by Happy in Wyoming; 03-05-2016 at 05:14 AM..

Old 03-05-2016, 05:16 AM

2,167 posts, read 1,266,787 times
Well, if gun toting and the ability to smoke in a restaurant is high on your list, then you will find plenty of polar opposites. And thats why these lists are nonsense. NE VA and SW VA are polar opposites in, well, almost everything except taxes. And for the vast majority of retirees,nas long ad the state doesn't tax SS, then state tax is a minor or zero factor vs real estate tax, medical and utilities. Again, without income source and amount qualifiers, the lists are nonsense. To even remotely impart a sense of justification, they would have to list income levels with taxable sources, political leanings, weather requirements, and desired activities as qualifiers. Since people actually retire in all 50 states, that sort of reduces the reality of the best places to retire kind of thing. Its a paragraph or 2 per place...who decides something on a blurb?

Old 03-05-2016, 07:13 AM

14,699 posts, read 8,490,820 times
I don't understand the bashing of this article. It's basically an opinion piece. I've been looking for a new state to move, and although I'm only 39, my spouse is quite a bit older, (51,) so retirement is a major consideration in our location. You don't like his suggestions? No one's forcing you to take them. I've spent a lot of time in most of these states and lived in Virginia, and I think these states have a lot of merit. I have lived in Texas much of my life, and I understand why it didn't make the list. It isn't as cheap to live here as so many people assume. We're hit with tons of sales and property taxes, and when you're retired, these factor in much more than state income taxes. Home prices have increased significantly, and we also have many more toll roads than most states. And our hot weather is so extreme even retirees can find it difficult to handle. Cold weather and taxes aren't the only factors when deciding on a place to retire. These lists are quite general, thus every person must do their research when deciding where to move.

Old 03-05-2016, 07:27 AM

7,261 posts, read 4,147,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy in Wyoming View Post
Nebraska has some very stinky gun laws which prevented its making even our preliminary list. It's surprising but true. .

Second Amendment friendly was a top priority for me. Alaska and Arizona are always ranked at the top in that regard. No CCW required in either state and open carry is considered normal, as it should be.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or