U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-08-2016, 06:25 AM

71,974 posts, read 72,020,102 times

Advertisements

exactly , but you know how some are in these forums . they always know better and only their views are the correct ones . we have that in all the forums .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2016, 07:00 AM

33,046 posts, read 22,116,650 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
It's kind of inevitable Social Security will phase out at higher income levels when they revamp payroll taxes and retirement ages to cover the 30% shortfall but I'm not sure I believe it would be as low as $85K. I can certainly see 100% of Social Security being subject to Federal income taxes at an income level like that but going from 85% to 100% isn't much of a hit. There are so few retirees with a 6-figure AGI that it doesn't particularly impact the 30% shortfall in Social Security funding. I think a symbolic phase-out would start at well north of $100K and you wouldn't get anything at all with $200K+.

Medicare premiums, on the other hand, are the thing that really worry me. If you want the level of coverage available now with Medicare plus supplemental, it's likely to get very costly. Basic Medicare is going to have to fairly tightly ration the more expensive things.

This is all driven by some pretty basic demographic math. Right now, there are about 4 1/2 workers per retiree. In 2050, it will be more like 2 3/4 workers per retiree. Either taxes are going up in a massive way or benefits are going to get slashed. I think Social Security benefits will be largely grandfathered. I don't see how Medicare can be.

I can easily see Congress cutting benefits across the board.

Old 03-08-2016, 07:02 AM

80 million voting baby boomers who are retiring makes that unlikely i think . any political party responsible for a cut across the board better have new jobs lined up

Old 03-08-2016, 07:02 AM

986 posts, read 1,180,638 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elliotgb View Post
May be time to bail out of this forum.
Too much sarcasm and criticism.

Mathjack was just stating what he does personally to keep in shape.
I don't believe it was self aggrandizement at all, sorry!
Just put that person who offended you and or those other members on here with sarcastic and critical attitudes on your "ignore List". That's what I did and it works!

Old 03-08-2016, 07:05 AM

33,046 posts, read 22,116,650 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
80 million voting baby boomers who are retiring makes that unlikely i think . any political party responsible for a cut across the board better have new jobs lined up

"Hey, those people should have planned ahead and saved for retirement."

Old 03-08-2016, 07:12 AM

many did , but that still has nothing to do with cutting the benefits . i can tell you if they screw with my benefits i will vote against everyone responsible and you can bet 80 million others would do the same .

the changes they made to ss are changes hardly anyone uses like paying back ss and refiling , file and suspend and restricted application . these were used by less then 8% of folks .

Old 03-08-2016, 08:53 AM

4,800 posts, read 4,861,663 times
Congress will have to make some changes though I think the first one is to look at their own spending habits on pet projects. Start with funding that strike fighter jet. The air force don't need it. Instead put more people in boots. Those things get an economy working. Put more people working infrastructure like roads and bridges. How about working on better dams and maybe even making more power electric dams. That at least would create jobs and provide a useful service.

Well hell I am making too much sense. Might as well put me in a box to shut me up.

Old 03-08-2016, 10:38 AM

3,746 posts, read 4,228,138 times
Quote:
many did , but that still has nothing to do with cutting the benefits . i can tell you if they screw with my benefits i will vote against everyone responsible and you can bet 80 million others would do the same . <snip>
No, 80 million others would not do the same. The Millennials already surpass the Boomers not only in population, but in the number of eligible voters as well. It's official: The Baby Boomer generation will continue to diminish in size and the ratio of Millennial voters to Boomer voters will continue to increase. You also cannot assume that Boomers like me will vote against their children's best interests. The top two issues for Millennials are climate change and student debt. I'm thinking we need to take care of their student debt problem before expecting Millennials to fully support our generation's retirement. Oh, I have no doubt that they will support Social Security but not to the extent the higher earners would like.

Just my 2 cents worth.

Old 03-08-2016, 10:40 AM

there are many ways congress can pass bills to fill the gap for ss . ss is tiny compared to the medicare issues .

i believe ss benefits themselves will remain sacred

Last edited by mathjak107; 03-08-2016 at 11:03 AM..

Old 03-08-2016, 11:07 AM

13,047 posts, read 10,476,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
I can easily see Congress cutting benefits across the board.
Quote:
I think benefits *will* be cut, but the action *will not be called* a benefits cut.

It will be called "means testing." The income thresholds will continue to be adjusted so the net effect for someone like me (high income/high assets) is a cut. Politicians can then claim they fought to protect entitlements for seniors.

But then again, I'm a bit of a cynic.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or