U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-08-2016, 09:06 PM

3,747 posts, read 4,235,555 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
<snip>

My tax dollars have been paying for all the infrastructure the Millennials have consumed. I paid for their K-12 education with my property taxes. They drive on roads my tax money funded. They're going to be the rich people paying for all that. What makes them so special that they get to shirk their obligation?
<snip>.
We have, in fact, shirked our obligation to maintain the infrastructure in this country. Are you not aware that we now have crumbling roads, bridges, ports, water pipes, sewage/wastewater plants, schools, etc.? What made our generation so special that we willfully shirked our responsibility?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2016, 03:25 AM

4,800 posts, read 4,873,684 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robyn55 View Post
Sorry - but we're not going back to the WPA or similar. Sending 10-20,000 guys to the middle of the desert to work on something like the Hoover Dam:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hoover_Dam

Just isn't in the cards. For obvious reasons. Robyn
Robyn I don't see why we can't put real projects on. I do not advocate the complete manual labor intense construction of a dam. Those days are long gone. But I do advocate public works projects that mean something.

Quote:
If you want an uncritical friend for life - get a dog .

On my part - I think mathjak has some good ideas from time to time. But he kind of keeps changing his mind when it comes to various things. Which I can totally understand considering his stage in terms of retirement and the current investment environment. Still - it's best not to say that X is the way to go - and then changing your mind 6 months or a year later.

I've been pretty much doing/saying the same thing since my husband and I retired 30 years ago. Has always worked out pretty much ok for us. With all of this talk of a negative interest rate environment - perhaps coming to the US soon - I think I will have to sit back and re-evaluate things. Perhaps a lot. I doubt anyone - older or younger - has any experience with a negative interest rate environment. Just glad I'm older - and not younger. So I have fewer years to take care of/plan for. Robyn
Robyn didn't you mean mathjak's stage of dementia?

Quote:
Originally Posted by lenora View Post
We have, in fact, shirked our obligation to maintain the infrastructure in this country. Are you not aware that we now have crumbling roads, bridges, ports, water pipes, sewage/wastewater plants, schools, etc.? What made our generation so special that we willfully shirked our responsibility?

That Lenora is what I think would be the biggest boost to this economy in my life time. As I was coming into the world we had completed much of that infrastructure. The highway system we enjoy today. The hydro-electric dams and a new public works system of water and sewer that opened up the modern world. We certainly need to do something with lead pipes run all over the place. Bridges and roads crumbling and causing serious injury and death. The projects have to be realistic though. No more bridges to nowhere Alaska. Cut the defense department budget smartly by eliminating weapon systems that are in development now. At least most of them. They are just not necessary. When we see a need okay but until then absolutely no.

Old 03-09-2016, 11:34 AM

7,074 posts, read 4,949,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by larsm View Post
I'd be more worried by the fact that your age of 64 is well within only one std. deviation of the the average age of your parents' death. (They say a reasonable approximation of our own death's is the average of our parents.) Personally I'd like to be at least 2 std. deviations before I considered myself out of the parents' woods... 🤗
In planning for retirement, the science says a much more accurate approximation of our lifespan, and the more important aspect of quality, is our lifestyle. For example, from the NIH, on the topic of cancer:

Cancer is a Preventable Disease that Requires Major Lifestyle Changes

"Only 5–10% of all cancer cases can be attributed to genetic defects, whereas the remaining 90–95% have their roots in the environment and lifestyle.

Heart "disease":

Heart Disease: A Toothless Paper Tiger That Need Never Exist

Often unhealthy lifestyles(diet)/habits run in families/are ingrained from childhood so many people attribute this automatically to "it runs in the family". Genes need to be expressed as the above conclusion on cancer states. And yes, we all know Uncle Joe who lived to 95 and smoked, drank, ate horrible, etc. However, most of us don't live in the outer bands of the bell curve though.

I think many do a great job at planning the math of retirement, $, spending plans, etc but forget about the ultra important aspect of health/lifestyle to enjoy those retirement years, to give one the best odds to enjoy them in a high quality way.

Old 03-09-2016, 12:42 PM

86,093 posts, read 72,710,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by golfingduo View Post
Robyn I don't see why we can't put real projects on. I do not advocate the complete manual labor intense construction of a dam. Those days are long gone. But I do advocate public works projects that mean something..
That was tried with the 2009 Stimulus bill. And that didn't work out so well.
Our government is too far corrupt to actually do the right thing.

And any type of infrastructure work takes years upon years before the first shovel is put in the ground due to all of our regulations.

It took 6 years before they started working on a one lane bridge near me to expand it. Most of the 6 years were involved with various alphabet agencies.
Took them 2 years to determine that widening the road would not kill off some extinct bug.

Would you want to wait 5-10 years before your "first day at work" ?

Old 03-09-2016, 12:59 PM

10,508 posts, read 5,977,324 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevek64 View Post
In planning for retirement, the science says a much more accurate approximation of our lifespan, and the more important aspect of quality, is our lifestyle. For example, from the NIH, on the topic of cancer:

Cancer is a Preventable Disease that Requires Major Lifestyle Changes

"Only 5–10% of all cancer cases can be attributed to genetic defects, whereas the remaining 90–95% have their roots in the environment and lifestyle.

Heart "disease":

Heart Disease: A Toothless Paper Tiger That Need Never Exist

Often unhealthy lifestyles(diet)/habits run in families/are ingrained from childhood so many people attribute this automatically to "it runs in the family". Genes need to be expressed as the above conclusion on cancer states. And yes, we all know Uncle Joe who lived to 95 and smoked, drank, ate horrible, etc. However, most of us don't live in the outer bands of the bell curve though.

I think many do a great job at planning the math of retirement, $, spending plans, etc but forget about the ultra important aspect of health/lifestyle to enjoy those retirement years, to give one the best odds to enjoy them in a high quality way.
Sorry but I don't believe for a second that 95% of cancer is from lifestyle and envirnment. We hear conflicting medical reports all the time. Eggs are bad, eggs are good etc. Most every cancer victim I knew lead healthy lifestyles.

Last edited by DaveinMtAiry; 03-09-2016 at 01:18 PM..

Old 03-09-2016, 04:05 PM

14,628 posts, read 17,993,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveinMtAiry View Post
Sorry but I don't believe for a second that 95% of cancer is from lifestyle and envirnment. We hear conflicting medical reports all the time. Eggs are bad, eggs are good etc. Most every cancer victim I knew lead healthy lifestyles.
There's some weirdness when it comes to medical stuff. Like it used to be that everyone on my mother's side of the family died from heart disease at age 55-60 - usually of a massive heart attack. Then - with the advent of bypass surgery - everyone started to live longer and die of other things. My mother of colon cancer (at age 84) - her brother at 91 from Alzheimer's. They both had 2 bypass operations that extended their lives. Let's face it - we all die of something.

My mother's diagnosis/death (she died pretty miserably) led me to get my first colonoscopy/screening. No problems in my 50's. But - in my 60's - I had a lot of stuff growing in my colon - and a couple of things were pre-cancerous. They were all cut out. So now I'm on a 3 year schedule for colonoscopy - and I probably won't die from colon cancer like my mother did. But I reckon I will die from something . Hope it's not something like Alzheimer's . Robyn

Old 03-09-2016, 04:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
That was tried with the 2009 Stimulus bill. And that didn't work out so well.
Our government is too far corrupt to actually do the right thing.

And any type of infrastructure work takes years upon years before the first shovel is put in the ground due to all of our regulations.

It took 6 years before they started working on a one lane bridge near me to expand it. Most of the 6 years were involved with various alphabet agencies.
Took them 2 years to determine that widening the road would not kill off some extinct bug.

Would you want to wait 5-10 years before your "first day at work" ?
We've actually had a ton of road work done both pre- and post-2008 where I live. Then again - our Congresscritter - for a long time - was Dan Mica (R) - head of the House transportation committee whenever Republicans have controlled the House in recent years.

There is something to be said of this old-fashioned pork barrel bring home the bacon politics. Robyn

Old 03-09-2016, 04:20 PM

10,508 posts, read 5,977,324 times
Quote:
There's some weirdness when it comes to medical stuff. Like it used to be that everyone on my mother's side of the family died from heart disease at age 55-60 - usually of a massive heart attack. Then - with the advent of bypass surgery - everyone started to live longer and die of other things. My mother of colon cancer (at age 84) - her brother at 91 from Alzheimer's. They both had 2 bypass operations that extended their lives. Let's face it - we all die of something.

My mother's diagnosis/death (she died pretty miserably) led me to get my first colonoscopy/screening. No problems in my 50's. But - in my 60's - I had a lot of stuff growing in my colon - and a couple of things were pre-cancerous. They were all cut out. So now I'm on a 3 year schedule for colonoscopy - and I probably won't die from colon cancer like my mother did. But I reckon I will die from something . Hope it's not something like Alzheimer's . Robyn
Certain cancers have a very real link to genes. We all know this. There should be no doubt you are more at risk of colon cancer than others. That's why I don't buy that 95% of cancer comes from environment or lifestyle.

Old 03-09-2016, 04:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfingduo View Post
...Robyn didn't you mean mathjak's stage of dementia? ...
I'm not sure whether you were joking or not - but I certainly didn't mean to imply anything like that.

The stock market crashed in '87 shortly after we retired - and it forced me to deal with the concept of risk. Which risks I could accept - and which I couldn't. And so - like they say in the lawyer business - I governed myself accordingly (keeping in mind that - back then - I could always go back to work).

I ran across this article in the WSJ this week - which might be of interest to mathjak and other people who have retired recently:

How to Retire in a Bear Market - WSJ

In all honesty - I think that markets for retired people are as difficult as I've ever seen them in the past. Or worse. Because of super low returns on safe fixed income - and volatility in equities (with mediocre returns on average since the turn of the century). I'm glad I'm not young anymore. Robyn

Old 03-09-2016, 04:35 PM

72,268 posts, read 72,222,083 times
Thanks for the link. Nothing really new there. The main reason we are delaying ss is to reduce our market and rate dependency as much as we can. Delaying a few years now can give us less dependency later for many years.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or