U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-05-2016, 04:43 PM

5,226 posts, read 3,637,448 times

Advertisements

Because I had a retirement from my company and a few investments, our retirement plan was simple , we would not attempt to save any of my company retirement, we would spend it all every month. Its worked well for 23 years.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2016, 06:37 PM

29,782 posts, read 34,871,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrkliny View Post
A high percentage of the world's population reproduces but does little else of note. There is no reason you need to be any different. You can look back at the rest of your life and consider those accomplishments to be your best.
Bada Bing!

Old 03-05-2016, 06:53 PM

4,800 posts, read 4,848,939 times
Quote:
A high percentage of the world's population reproduces but does little else of note. There is no reason you need to be any different. You can look back at the rest of your life and consider those accomplishments to be your best.
That is my plan. After a 38 year career in the army. I believe I can do just that. In three weeks I get to receive a certificate of thank you from President Barack Obama and the same from Governor Charlie Baker. It will be a proud moment in spite of the fact that I don't like my current commander in chief. I will be glad to have that chapter of my life behind me.

Old 03-05-2016, 10:40 PM
NCN

21,135 posts, read 21,888,823 times
My plan is to live every day to the fullest it is possible to do as long as I am alive. It takes about 4 hours of mundane chores and about 4 hours of whatever I want to do then another 4 hours of rest. I think we all plan more than we realize. We plan medical visits so we can get them over with before May so we can travel as much as we want to from May through October. I have discovered that I don't like traveling in November and December because of the holidays. We don't want to miss out on all the parties and get-togethers.

Right now I am trying to plan where to plant the 110 flower bulbs I purchased recently. That used to be a chore because it had to be done. Now it is a pleasure.

I find that our age can do much in showing appreciation for the work others are doing. So many people only get to hear what they did wrong. It lifts people up to tell them what they did right.

Old 03-06-2016, 04:15 AM

71,626 posts, read 71,751,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by golfingduo View Post
That is my plan. After a 38 year career in the army. I believe I can do just that. In three weeks I get to receive a certificate of thank you from President Barack Obama and the same from Governor Charlie Baker. It will be a proud moment in spite of the fact that I don't like my current commander in chief. I will be glad to have that chapter of my life behind me.

thanks for your service , that is one well earned retirement

Old 03-06-2016, 05:33 AM

6,256 posts, read 4,734,369 times
I notice that it has become PC to thank military personnel for their "service" whether it was in combat status or otherwise. Do we also thank the military contract worker? Do we thank other Federal workers such as IRS agents? How about State workers including DMV clerks? It used to be PC to thank police and firefighters for their service, but somehow even the politicians have stopped thanking police officers. It could be they are on the take or made too many false arrests or shot an innocent civilian. I am not saying someone in the military does not deserve thanks but I wonder if it should be automatic and universally applied.

Old 03-06-2016, 05:44 AM

4,800 posts, read 4,848,939 times
Quote:
I notice that it has become PC to thank military personnel for their "service" whether it was in combat status or otherwise. Do we also thank the military contract worker? Do we thank other Federal workers such as IRS agents? How about State workers including DMV clerks? It used to be PC to thank police and firefighters for their service, but somehow even the politicians have stopped thanking police officers. It could be they are on the take or made too many false arrests or shot an innocent civilian. I am not saying someone in the military does not deserve thanks but I wonder if it should be automatic and universally applied.

It is a recent phenomena started up once again after September 11th. I usually thank the person back for letting me serve for as long as I have. In all the years prior and I go back all the way to 1976. No one ever came to me and thanked me for my service even though I wore my uniform daily as I went about the state doing my job.

I always thank police officers and firemen for their service. I am always polite when I get pulled over and say yes sir, no sir or ma'am. I have the utmost respect for police officers. I certainly would not want that job. I also thank some of the contractors I have come in contact with. A good many of them were former military anyway. At state or federal offices I always thank whomever I have had to work with. I don't actually thank them for their service per se like out of the blue but I am cordial and say thanks when my business begins and is completed. I don't think we give thanks enough to people for the work they do. We are sometimes just too caught up in our own little world that we forget the niceties. That is a great point jrklny. Thanks for bringing that point up.

Old 03-06-2016, 05:46 AM

71,626 posts, read 71,751,865 times
i think that any job where you put your life on the line as a first responder daily is a thankful job .

Old 03-06-2016, 06:20 AM

6,256 posts, read 4,734,369 times
As golfingduo pointed out, it is interesting to look at the trends. Those of us who served in Vietnam were often in harms way but no one thanked us for being suckers and supporting a failed political and military effort.

Old 03-06-2016, 06:31 AM

7,981 posts, read 11,663,426 times
I've been worrying about all this so much. So many "you must have a plan" books, threads, people tell you how so many people die after retirement because they just sat on the couch. You must have an emotional, physical, activity plan. You need a social network, its all a catastrophe if you aren't apparently out being active and social and busy and with people and being fulfilled emotionally. I mean, yea, that would be great I suppose. But despite my very vague best intentions of "I will be able to go out and do all the things I don't do now" thoughts I have a suspicion that I won't become a different person in retirement. That I will still struggle with making things happen, being active, being social. I'm not sure you can change who you are just by not going to work everyday. I get why you need a money plan. But why is

First x number of months not working: wake up, drink coffee, read and watch tv just like weekends
eventually start to feel a little bored (probably)
venture out and find something to do

not a plan?

I like the couch. I like to read. I like tv. Am I going to die? I don't know.

So, if your finances are figured out, and it sounds like you have a amazing number of spreadsheets, I would consider the 'how you fill your days' part of it but I don't think you need a written plan. Unless you are the driven type and must fill your extensive bucket list type. In which case you would probably already have a spreadsheet for it.

P.S. My (usually unspoken but thought) response to thank you for your service is "dont' thank me, go serve" I think one of the biggest mistakes this country ever made was getting rid of compulsary service aka the draft. I think we would be in a whole different place if we hadn't. A much better place.

Last edited by Giesela; 03-06-2016 at 07:28 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or