U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-19-2016, 06:53 AM

4,687 posts, read 5,535,843 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyberous View Post
My question, do you plan to retire early (50-55), if so what will you do with your time? Or did you retire early and end up going back to work?
My wife and I retired at 55 ... that was 8 years ago on the 28th of this month. It was the age at which I wanted to retire from the very first day of work. And with planning, we were able to do it, and - knock on wood - we're doing fine.

I had thought I would get a part-time job, either related to my previous career or something totally different, both to "keep busy" and also provide some additional income.

But for both me and my wife, the reality of retirement has been that our pensions provide sufficient income. We have no need and no desire to work again. And I'm more than fine with that. At this point, if I went back to work, I would no longer consider myself to be "retired", and I REALLY like being retired!

We've done a little traveling; taken some classes; I'm doing a lot more photography these days, since I have the time. And in September of 2014 we sold our house in northern VA and moved to Maine. That was our biggest move to date, and everything associated with moving to a new area has kept us very, very busy.

I know that a lot of people approaching retirement (or in retirement already) are concerned about a number of things, including having enough money and having enough to do. We certainly had those concerns. About 5 years prior to retirement, when we had a much better picture of what our pensions would be, we knew that we could afford to retire. And retiring in place - rather than retiring and immediately relocating - gave us the time and space we needed to get used to being retired, without also having to get used to a new place.

I think it has really worked out well for us. And in moving here, to a lake in Maine, we've given our family and friends a very good reason to come and visit us ... and they do!

Here's the view from our deck last night:

Last edited by GreenGene; 06-19-2019 at 02:53 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2016, 09:52 AM

14,018 posts, read 17,732,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slyfox2 View Post
If you are going to have to work to keep busy, then why retire? The whole purpose of retirement is not to work. That's why its called re-tire-ment.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Perryinva View Post
To slyfox2: that is YOUR definition of retirement, not for many many others. Cetainly not mine. Retirement for me, and most I work with, is simply the ability to do whatever you want without being forced to work in order to survive PLUS save for retirement. Once you have achieved a "sufficient for you", steady income, that is guaranteed without HAVING TO WORK, then you are retired, whether you actually "retire" from the job or not!!

We can all define things as we wish for the purpose of discussion, but I think Slyfox2's definition is the more commonly used and accepted one. Someone working full-time is quite simply not retired, and the whole business of being financially ready is such a subjective one that it is ambiguous as a marker.

Sure, there will always be borderline cases, such as retiring from one career and/or company and moving on to a second career. If one has filled out retirement papers and been feted at a lunch by co-workers and supervisors, then of course one may feel retired, whether still working or not.

I do not go as far as the purists who insist there is no such thing as semi-retirement; these purists claim that if one is working for pay, one is not retired, no matter how few hours. "Semi-retirement" is a clear and accurate term which needs no definition.

Old 03-19-2016, 04:31 PM

2,164 posts, read 1,265,616 times
The problem with ambiguous definitions is that the words used to describe them are just as ambiguous. Is it "work" if someone pays you to do something you enjoy, vs something you have to do? If you do yard work or gardening (or fishing or biking, hiking, etc) because now that you are "retired", is that not work? It is work, you enjoy! If you got paid to do or pursue your hobby or whatever you do it retirement for "fun", does that eliminate the enjoyment and change it to "work"? In any sense of the word, you can't really ever stop "working", unless all you do is wake, eat, excrete, and watch tv all and every day, and all your bills are paid automatically. If something goes wrong, you call someone to fix and maintain it. In any stage for the rest of my life, I pray never to be forced in to a hell like that. That is not retirement to me at all. I already said what it is for me and many others. Time to do what you want, and not worry about earning enough to live and saving for tomorrow.

We laugh a lot on my projects, & I often sing the Steve Martin ditty "and the most amazing thing is....I get paid for doing this!".

Sure, there are lots of other things I want to do. Most are unrealistic. I'd love to act in movies. Maybe work on special effects. Not likely ever going to happen. I'll do a lot of travel, but for most everyone, that gets old after a while. There is very little (anything?) I can think of that I Would want to do on a regular basis, as satisfying as what I do for a living. The group of us that do these things feel like mad scientists at times, solving problems that others just give a blank stare at. It's a blast, sometimes literally, and then to get a paid on top of it is frosting. We sometimes lament that we should be paid more, because so few can do what we do, but we know it just makes us more valuable down the road, and honestly, every one of us never thought we would as much as we do, doing it. Way way too many people I've known for 25-30 years, once they knock out those things that they wanted to do, come back to get paid doing what they enjoy, but on their terms, and that makes all the difference.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement