U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-03-2016, 12:25 PM

370 posts, read 266,029 times

Advertisements

Iíve been planning for early retirement for a long time, currently 45. My goal since I was in my 20ís has been to retire at 50, but now it looks like 55 is a better option. As I get older Iíve seen some of my friends retire early but this typically last a year or so then they go back to work. Some of them were very successful in their careers and have substantial wealth, others where in law enforcement (early retirement age.) When I ask ďwhy did you go back to workĒ itís always the same response, I got bored.

My question, do you plan to retire early (50-55), if so what will you do with your time? Or did you retire early and end up going back to work?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2016, 12:27 PM

9,597 posts, read 10,322,698 times
Consult.

My plan is to retire early, and then do part-time consulting (engineering). I know several people who do it now, either charging flat rate or hourly. Prob just work from home 20 hours or so a week.

Old 03-03-2016, 09:14 PM

5,937 posts, read 2,888,852 times
Your mileage may vary.

We retired early and so far no boredom at all. I fished more, played video games, read more books on my Kindle, went on long walks in the morning, tried to get better at chess, started learning French, and prepared nice healthy lunches for my wife and I since I had the time, wife and I went to matinee movies together at the cheapo theater, we went camping on weekdays when most others can't so way fewer people about, etc. Then we hit the road for some long term travel.

I guess something could change some day but so far no problems

Old 03-03-2016, 09:58 PM

791 posts, read 722,537 times
i think it comes down to what else you have inculcated into your life other than work.
I think a person who successfully builds skills and interests over time has the best shot at occupying themselves.

When I was younger I had lots of interest, as my career has progressed, i have become far more uni-dimensional and overall a boring person.

Old 03-04-2016, 08:47 AM

13,237 posts, read 17,776,004 times
SO retired in his early 40s. One deer hunting season later he ran out of house and yard projects, got tired of bikes and hunting, did not want to hang out at the local airport anymore. He turned a hobby into a second career and recently stepped down to where he started to return to the fun of it. He is happy as a lark, active in a new hobby, runs a cottage business related to it and we have plenty of 'us time'.

Old 03-04-2016, 08:52 AM

71,525 posts, read 71,712,424 times
i do technical training 2 days a month in the motor control industry where i spent many decades . .

Old 03-04-2016, 09:09 AM

5,780 posts, read 4,833,476 times
We retired at ages 51 (me) and 56 (DH). We might have been bored at our previous home, except we always had way too much yardwork and home improvements as we were getting ready to sell the house. It was way out in the country and none of our other friends were retired, so we had a lot of time to do the afore-mentioned chores. Then we moved to an active resort/retirement community and we never have time to get bored. There are so many activities that we have to ration our time to the ones we enjoy most...hiking, boating, golfing, playing pickleball...lots of pickleball. We also belong to several clubs (vintage vehicles, motorcycle riders) which have outings and meetings to attend, and we have lots of friends who we socialize with. We also volunteer, when we can, for various groups, and we still have hobbies, yardwork, and home improvements to keep us busy at our new home. Sooooo.....definitely not bored.

Old 03-04-2016, 10:08 AM

13,225 posts, read 6,320,879 times
I think it's a good idea to wait at least until you are 55 and have 35 years of earnings. After 3 months of retirement, I can see that I would be bored in a year. I've been busy catching up to things I have to do with my yard, filing for pensions and SS. All time consuming work. But I have travel plan for a few months. But in general I sleep better, losing weight. It's not bad.

Old 03-04-2016, 11:51 AM

6,561 posts, read 3,662,092 times
I retired at 52. I had a two-page list of things I wanted to do, mostly home improvements and a few other things. I figured that would get me through the first year or two. It took 90 days. I wasn't really retired yet. I found a part-time job I enjoyed and did that for seven years. That was more enjoyable than my "real" job because I had a lot of control over my schedule and no meetings or supervision responsibilities...much less stress and some good people.

A big snag in early retirement is the social part -- you don't think much about it when you are working but tend to miss it if you don't have something else taking its place. This may sound unkind but you can't replace that social network with your spouse 24/7. Volunteer work would be one other option.

Old 03-04-2016, 01:39 PM

1,202 posts, read 1,072,087 times
Someone on a similar thread said something I've always thought was so true. I wish I could remember who said it so I could credit them, but I've drawn a blank. Heck, maybe it wasn't even on c-d!

Anyhow . . . the gist is that "it's not only what you're retiring from, it's what you're retiring to".

I think advance planning is key, and not just monetarily. As pointed out above, the so-called Bucket List or whatever you want to call it might be completed in a flash.. And then what? Only you know the answer to that.

I retired at 51 to pursue my avocation, which became a part-time vocation in retirement. But now that's done and I'm reinventing my true retirement, 18 years later. Over time I've realized that some of my must-do's have become sort of blah and less interesting. I'm looking at it as a new start now. Back to the drawing board. I'll probably start volunteering next summer.

My neighbor retired at 62 one year ago and couldn't stand it - bored to death. She's gone back to full time work after just 12 months of true retirement.

So work on your long-range plan. If you're goal oriented, that may help you find a focus and a path. Good luck whatever you decide.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement