U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-07-2016, 07:41 AM

71,540 posts, read 71,712,424 times

Advertisements

i never ever had an issue installing turbo on multiple computers . in fact i do it every year .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2016, 08:05 AM

2,474 posts, read 862,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by golfingduo View Post
DW has used TT for over 12 years. We even have complicated taxes in that we have a business. I recommend it.
I agree. I have used TurboTax for several years. I have bought and sold homes, had moving expenses, bought and sold securities and my wife has run a business out of our home. So in other words, my taxes are not just basic. I have never understood why so many people pay hundreds of $$ to CPAs to do their taxes.
The secret is in good record-keeping. At tax time my wife hands me every receipt and form neatly categorized as to charity or deductible expense or whatever, and I let TT software walk me through it. I agree it is much easier after the first year or two.

Old 03-07-2016, 08:20 AM

8,764 posts, read 10,840,630 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FiveLoaves View Post
Did you use the HR Block software ?? How did you find it ?? I often use the word "intuitive" when describing the user interface -- sometimes programmers are so out in left field, that they overlook the user perspective.

I might consider HR Block next year.
I used TT for several years and then tried HR Block (at a lower price), which I have used for the past several years. I've been impressed with the simple interface and ease of completing and filing taxes in HRB. This year, they mailed me a special promotional package (Deluxe version) for $10. I'll probably stick with HRB, although I've found the 'royalties' section less than intuitive.

Old 03-07-2016, 08:40 AM

1,362 posts, read 766,848 times
I did something wrong somewhere. I have some 1099 Income, all well and good. But I also have expenses -- I must have entered them in the wrong field or something -- they're not showing up in any of the worksheets.

I'll call them to get it straightened......but this is what I mean by intuitive. Something as basic as Schedule C expenses shouldn't be an obstacle.

Old 03-07-2016, 08:46 AM

2,474 posts, read 862,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FiveLoaves View Post
I did something wrong somewhere. I have some 1099 Income, all well and good. But I also have expenses -- I must have entered them in the wrong field or something -- they're not showing up in any of the worksheets.

I'll call them to get it straightened......but this is what I mean by intuitive. Something as basic as Schedule C expenses shouldn't be an obstacle.
You need to use the Home and Business Edition

Old 03-07-2016, 08:58 AM

1,362 posts, read 766,848 times
No, the Deluxe Edition is supposed to cover basic Schedule C Income & Expenses. I'm not depreciating any office equipment, nothing out of the ordinary.

Old 03-07-2016, 09:21 AM

7,247 posts, read 4,136,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eok View Post
If it was supposedly a free tax return, how did they charge you $74? You wouldn't give them your credit card for a free tax return would you? And why couldn't you simply dispute the $74 with your credit card company?
It's free only to a certain point. If you make more than $100,000 a year Tax Act charges you $19.95. Turbo Tax has a similar threshold.

Old 03-07-2016, 09:52 AM

4,903 posts, read 3,033,459 times
Now that we are semiretired and have a very simple return I would not even think of filing another way than TT. Our personal info is already there. Type in income and click ,click.

Old 03-07-2016, 10:40 AM

7,247 posts, read 4,136,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by longneckone View Post
Now that we are semiretired and have a very simple return I would not even think of filing another way than TT. Our personal info is already there. Type in income and click ,click.

Forget about typing. Just take a picture of your W-2 with your smart phone and TT will import all the data. Hopefully by next year that capability will also extend to 1099s.

Old 03-07-2016, 12:26 PM

6,124 posts, read 9,079,067 times
Alaska: Not all of us have smart phones.

I have done my taxes 3 times so far. One on Taxact; another on Turbotax, and the last one on EZtaxreturn. (Am trying to find some deductions to offset the $868 I owe to the feds.) This has never happened before. I have always used Taxact in the past, with no problem. This year, its a nightmare. Nothing has changed financially for me this year, so why the huge payment. I don't get it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement