U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-08-2016, 05:42 PM

4,379 posts, read 3,718,272 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by FiveLoaves View Post
I'm doing my own Taxes this year. They're relatively simple and I have the CPA's version of last years taxes handy, just to double check.

I used TurboTax several years ago, but this year's release just isn't quite as intuitive. I have a couple of questions for their help line on Monday -- but if anybody on board is a TT user......I'd like your take on this year's software.
Used it for years and no problem.

But you have to have a pretty good idea of the correct answer because you could answer the questions wrong and get an incorrect tax. I think the problem is more to the complexity of the tax laws and Turbo Tax has to go through all the detail.

You might post your tax question and that could give you an idea of what your dollar answer should be.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2016, 06:40 PM

718 posts, read 604,944 times
Uh uh. I loved them but the screwed up my taxes last year, cost me money and had the IRS up my butt so no more!

Old 04-07-2016, 08:59 AM

986 posts, read 1,180,316 times
We used Turbo Tax, the free offer since our taxes were as simple as they get with the 1040A.
All went well without any issues, Turbo Tax e-filed our State and Federal and didn't charge us anything.

Old 04-07-2016, 09:15 AM

2,923 posts, read 1,597,286 times
BTW I hope folks realize that one can fill out forms & file online for free thru the IRS directly, here is the link:

https://www.irs.gov/uac/Free-File:-D...Taxes-for-Free

AARP & other local organizations can offer free assistance to seniors & others wanting help.

Old 04-07-2016, 09:50 AM

9,013 posts, read 7,778,187 times
Used Turbo Tax for the 4th year in a row. Filed electronically and had my refund within 3 weeks.

I had the same CPA for 20 years but I also owned a small business so he was critical. When I retired, I used the same CPA for a few years but eventually my taxes became run of the mill and using the standard deduction. 5 years back I bought Turbo Tax and did a return while matching my results to what my CPA had filed the same year. They were identical. At that point I stopped using a CPA and I use Turbo tax alone.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement