Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-06-2016, 09:49 AM

2,525 posts, read 1,946,683 times

Advertisements

I'm doing my own Taxes this year. They're relatively simple and I have the CPA's version of last years taxes handy, just to double check.

I used TurboTax several years ago, but this year's release just isn't quite as intuitive. I have a couple of questions for their help line on Monday -- but if anybody on board is a TT user......I'd like your take on this year's software.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2016, 09:54 AM

20,160 posts, read 12,758,356 times
I use them every year for a while now. Maybe 10 years. I skipped all the questions and went straight to the areas that I had deductions or income from last year. Nothing new for me this year. But I agree it's not intuitive but that's how I solved it.

Old 03-06-2016, 10:12 AM

I would just like to get a "snapshot" of the Forms and compare them to last year's CPA work to see if I've overlooked anything. My years ago experience with TT, you could do that. This year it doesn't seem possible to get a temporary view of the Forms. I will ask the help line on Monday, but I'd just like to take a quick look at the Schedule C.

Also, I think I might benefit for the Saver's Credit Form 8880, but I can't find it in the Software.

BTW -- The Obamacare Subsidy is a "revelation" if you had underestimated your 2015 Income and got Subsidized Marketplace Insurance........hang on to your hats !!!

Old 03-06-2016, 10:15 AM

20,160 posts, read 12,758,356 times
The savers credit was not on the software last year either. I know I had to search for it when I was doing my kid's tax. But you can override it. That's one reason why I had to return the software.
I was able to see my tax in forms this year. I think you should check again.

Last edited by NewbieHere; 03-06-2016 at 10:31 AM..

Old 03-06-2016, 10:24 AM

7,899 posts, read 7,111,289 times
I have always done my own taxes and have used TT for 7 or 8 years. Especially after the first year, TT makes filing quick and easy. I have had my share of frustrations with them but I am not sure there is a reasonable alternative. Updates are a real nuisance. The worst was when I was filing my taxes while camped in Zion NP. I was using my cellphone as a hotspot so needless to say my bandwidth was minimal. I finally downloaded all of the updates and all of my online tax information. I completed all the data entry and attempted to file. TT wanted to install "updates" and I could not bypass those updates. That took a couple more frustrating hours. Every year there seem to be last minute updates. I assume that is due to bugs in the software. Certainly the tax code does not change at the last minute. Another year I encountered another bug. I had instructions from the financial institution about how to file, but TT does not allow entries directly onto the tax forms. I was never able to get the information entered correctly but the amount was small and my return was never questioned by the IRS. Another year, I filed with no issue including paying the amount due. Weeks later I received notice that IRS had not received my payment. I had to find another service in order to submit the payment that TT told me was already submitted.

When it comes to taxes, we need software that is totally reliable. I would give TT a score of about 6 on a scale of 10.

Old 03-06-2016, 10:49 AM

I'm looking forward to next year, when it will be so much easier entering the data based on this year's return.

I will call their help-line Monday when the A-team is manning the phones (not sure i trust the weekend help crew).

Old 03-06-2016, 11:17 AM

6,593 posts, read 7,088,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FiveLoaves View Post
I'm doing my own Taxes this year. They're relatively simple and I have the CPA's version of last years taxes handy, just to double check.

I used TurboTax several years ago, but this year's release just isn't quite as intuitive. I have a couple of questions for their help line on Monday -- but if anybody on board is a TT user......I'd like your take on this year's software.

DW has used TT for over 12 years. We even have complicated taxes in that we have a business. I recommend it.

Old 03-06-2016, 11:42 AM

556 posts, read 788,528 times
Quote:
I would just like to get a "snapshot" of the Forms and compare them to last year's CPA work to see if I've overlooked anything. My years ago experience with TT, you could do that. This year it doesn't seem possible to get a temporary view of the Forms. I will ask the help line on Monday, but I'd just like to take a quick look at the Schedule C.

Also, I think I might benefit for the Saver's Credit Form 8880, but I can't find it in the Software.

BTW -- The Obamacare Subsidy is a "revelation" if you had underestimated your 2015 Income and got Subsidized Marketplace Insurance........hang on to your hats !!!
https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...8dlLpjenU_RMlg

https://www.google.com/search?q=form...utf-8&oe=utf-8

I use TT and my taxes are pretty basic, Union pension taxable to California and Feds. SSRetirement taxable to Feds

Last edited by dohmixer; 03-06-2016 at 11:45 AM.. Reason: Add text

Old 03-06-2016, 12:34 PM

1,153 posts, read 1,661,789 times
Quote:

I stopped using TurboTax a few years back, after faithfully using it since the 90s. The price was creeping higher and higher. They messed up my e-file and nearly gave me a heart attack, nickle and diming me for another $5 for each little step. The software is beyond bloated now and asks hundreds of questions that don't apply. Plus, I think my last year that I used it, it didn't even let me load my old information like name and address from the previous year. So, why would I pay them extra and type everything in myself.

I also heard in my lovely state of SC there was a data breach of these online tax records and people's information was exposed to foreign hackers. While I haven't lost any money so far as a result of this, the risk is just too high for me.

I have used the online free file from IRS, which is also run by Quicken and similar vendors, but it seems to be faster, cheaper, and more secure. I print the form and send it in via mail. At least my bank account information can't be "hacked" this way.

Old 03-06-2016, 01:09 PM

15,632 posts, read 24,429,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hobo7396 View Post
...I also heard in my lovely state of SC there was a data breach of these online tax records and people's information was exposed to foreign hackers. While I haven't lost any money so far as a result of this, the risk is just too high for me...

I, too, believe that Turbo Tax's records may have been hacked.

I used TurboTax for about 10 years. But, when I logged in this year, I got a mesage that TurboTax wanted to verify my identity and was going to send an email to "l*****6@gomybiz.com" to do so.

That email was nothing like my own -- not any part of it. I had never even heard of gomybiz.com. (I googled it and found that it's based in England.) And I had used my regular bookmark, not an email link, to log in.

I contacted TurboTax, first by phone. The English-is-not-my-first-language customer rep was no help at all. She wouldnt transfer me to IT or to Security. So I then emailed spoof@intuit.com. In less than 20 minutes of my doing so, I received an email response that all was ok. How could TurboTax have investigated my situation in such a short time?

I decided, then and there, not to use TurboTax ever again. I used H&R Block instead and was very satisfied.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement