U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-24-2016, 03:13 AM

71,957 posts, read 71,997,171 times

Advertisements

while my cobra is more the terms are far better . that out of pocket on an aca plan if you have no subsidy can be devastating .

can you imagine getting a serious illness towards the end of a calander year that runs in to the new year . that is a 27k out of pocket on a silver plan .

that is insane .

nothing is a problem until it is a problem with an aca plan , which turns in to a pay as you go plan once you need hospitalization or chemo .

they are worse then the exposure you can have on a medicare advantage plan once things start triggering out of pockets .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2016, 06:02 AM

761 posts, read 641,161 times
My company "retired" me just short of my 5 year anniversary and my 63rd birthday (next month).
My plan was to go out at the end of April anyway.

I opted for Cobra, full coverage: dental, vision and medical for roughly $600/month.
I keep all my own doctors and have the same prescription plan.

That's how I rolled.

Old 03-24-2016, 07:40 AM

i am at 515.00 a month for cobra and have none of the other perks so good deal

Old 03-24-2016, 05:22 PM

825 posts, read 567,402 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
while my cobra is more the terms are far better . that out of pocket on an aca plan if you have no subsidy can be devastating .

can you imagine getting a serious illness towards the end of a calander year that runs in to the new year . that is a 27k out of pocket on a silver plan .

that is insane .

nothing is a problem until it is a problem with an aca plan , which turns in to a pay as you go plan once you need hospitalization or chemo .

they are worse then the exposure you can have on a medicare advantage plan once things start triggering out of pockets .
Why are the out-of-pocket charges so high on that Silver plan? The Bronze ACA plans I'm looking at have individual out-of-pocket maximums of about $6,350. I've signed up for Bronze ACA plans before and have had my routine screening appointments completely covered, and whilst covered by a Bronze ACA plan I've paid for nothing beyond my premiums for years on end.

If I got so catastrophically sick that I somehow reached the $6,350 out-of-pocket maximum, I think the insurer would be on the hook for many tens or hundreds of thousands beyond what I had to pay. I once had the tiniest of minor surgeries, walked out of the hospital the next day, and the bill came to over $33k.

(Now that my income has sunk below the Bronze threshold, I'm on state Medicaid, which so far has been quite caring and comprehensive. My current health insurance costs are nil. But I aspire one day to sign up for a Bronze plan again, if I can only find a job with more hours and more pay. It's a huge challenge--I've learned that age discrimination is real.)

Old 03-24-2016, 05:30 PM

the out of pockets are the same between plans but what they cover before it becomes an out of pocket varies . these are the new limits , 6850.00 per person . a couple is now 13,700.00

Old 03-24-2016, 10:27 PM

13,727 posts, read 8,622,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by murph1982 View Post
Hello everyone,
I will be retiring at the age of 62. I have a major concern and obviously it is health insurance at age 62 for my wife and I. I undertsand we can apply for medicare at age 65 but can you please give me some advice on other options for health insurance? I really appreciate your help!!
Most people simply keep working, just for that reason. I did.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or