Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-10-2016, 07:43 AM

106,644 posts, read 108,790,719 times

Advertisements

i liked what i did and could have done it forever . but with both my parents dying fairly young we wanted to get started on the 2nd phase of our lives by retiring .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2016, 06:52 PM

7,042 posts, read 6,292,162 times
I loved my job, although I had an atrocious lead manager. I loved helping our clients; giving them books & websites to help them get out of poverty, helping with their budgets & their plan proposals.

Then, with the recession, the organization changed from community building to plain grants. They were correct in 'retiring' me as I'm sure I would have given grants to whoever asked for one, lol.

I couldn't have dealt with it. My heart is way too big.

Last edited by meo92953; 03-10-2016 at 06:54 PM.. Reason: Spellchecker, sigh

Old 03-11-2016, 04:21 AM

244 posts, read 714,629 times
Lots of commentary about bad managers on here and I have had a few. From the other side of the fence, I attempt to administer in higher education, the only place on earth that has attained Marx's Dictatorship of the Proletariat. Just try to manage employees who can flip you off with impunity when you try to get them to do something. When you layer rampant political correctness, sexual discrimination witch hunts, complete indifference to costs and efficiency and a few other things into the stew, Social Security can't come quickly enough.

Old 03-11-2016, 05:29 AM

7,184 posts, read 9,315,042 times
I loved my job and reluctantly retired at 66.

Why? Because I'm at an age where people I know suddenly started to have significant health problems or they just dropped dead. Also, I thought it would be embarrassing to die on the job

I also had enough saved. If I continued to work I'd just create a bigger pile for my kids to inherit and they don't need it. Their inheritance was a fully paid college education.

I feel very lucky to have picked a career that worked for me. I played to my strengths. I just did what I enjoyed doing from about age 9 and focused on getting better every day. Luckily, I was able to sell those skills and the company respected me and compensated me fairly.

I can't imagine what it must be like to be trapped in a job that you hate and seeing it as a prison sentence counting down the days until you can retire. For me, that would be a fate worse than death.

Old 03-11-2016, 08:18 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,705 posts, read 58,031,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vision67 View Post
I loved my job and reluctantly retired at 66.

Why? Because I'm at an age where people I know suddenly started to have significant health problems or they just dropped dead. Also, I thought it would be embarrassing to die on the job

... For me, that would be a fate worse than death.
My best friend's dad died at work, cleaning his desk after his retirement luncheon I could not risk such a fate, so...
I bailed at age 49, (34 yrs of working 3 jobs simultainiously) & same age as when my dad went into LTC. I have since enjoyed nearly 10 yrs of early retirement, and still way below the "age of healthcare". I hope to live one yr beyond my $10 National Parks pass, then I will have completed my bucket list

My many jobs were terrific, and I wouldn't mind doing any of them today! I got 5 college degrees 100% paid by employer, and created a benevolent family trust to perpetually fund my chosen charities by age 40. Funded by stock options and bonuses which I never expected. Lived a good, healthy, and frugal life on single income hourly wage. Homeschooled my kids and sent them to free college at age 16. My 32 yrs of eldercare ended and kids were done with college the yr I retired. It has been a decade of freedom

Spousal care, and 2 more eldercare gigs await. For now it is Adventure time... The rocking chair is waiting, but I never plan on buying a TV. Wasted my last second on that media in 1968.

I really embraced and enjoyed the technical advances in my careers.

Some very nice tools exist today that save me a lot of time THINKING.

Oscillating multi tool.... Used it 3 times today on a flooring job. WOW... Cut square corners in deadend space
CNC machine... Every tinkerer should have one... The machine works while I nap!
Wire EDM... A metal band saw that cuts to computer program. The blade is a 0.02mm wire (3x thickness of a hair). It can repeat 0.001mm accuracy (1/10th of a hair)

Of course my bulldozer and excavator are my favorite technology (toys) advances, as I always hated using a shovel. They are great for transplanting flowers and trees.

Computers are ok,

cell phones... I would dislike, as they are alienating people groups and families.
A 'crutch' that the battery can go dead !!!! YIKES

I wonder what technology is doing my high school job,,, sweeping the 50 gal barrels of beer soaked tickets at betting stadium for dog races. Probably an app, from the recliner.

Old 03-12-2016, 06:03 PM

12,040 posts, read 8,414,540 times
In my old government job they're still having the same problems they had thirty years ago except they're getting worse. So, while I miss the work life occasionally, I don't miss the frustration of work designed by people who don't know what's required.

I always used to say every legislator should have to spend at least two weeks on site following us around before they were allowed to legislate regarding our work.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement