U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-08-2016, 08:42 AM

371 posts, read 398,043 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fox Terrier View Post
OP, go to a shelter and adopt a dog.

Seriously.

It will offer companionship
It will get you to exercise
It's something to take care of (kind of like having kids again!)
I would second this if you are allowed pets where you live and like dogs. I have a dog and live in Vermont. Winters do get longer every year, but one thing about owning a dog is you have to get out several times a day whether you feel like it or not. I walk about 4 miles every morning with Scout, and part of that walk includes an off-leash dog area where I have met several nice people since I moved here. Exercise is good for the body and the mind, and a dog can be a great friend.

If you don't like dogs or aren't allowed to have one, perhaps you could adopt another type of pet? You seem to like birds, and most places will let you have a bird as a pet. I used to raise finches when my son was young. Very inexpensive as a hobby. My zebras would have a clutch of eggs every time I turned around, and it was fun to see the eggs hatch and the parents feeding the babies.

Old 03-08-2016, 09:28 AM

4,691 posts, read 3,263,277 times
To all the positive and helpful posters who have a good solid base of intelligence and compassion, thank you very much. I have tried to rep you but for some reason C-D is not letting me.

To the others who get their jollies from tearing people down, so so sad for you. Whatever is missing in your lives that you can't think of anything else? There is at least one negative poster who I suggested to her a while back to put me on her ignore list so I wouldn't irritate her, however, she apparently has not done so. I do wonder what life in the ivory tower is like.

It was my thought that C-D was an open forum where people can talk about stuff whether sharing good information or asking for help from people who understand these things.

I've been told by moderators I should "report" these slugs but what's the point. Aren't they just being child-like? Can you imagine what they might have been like on the playground when they didn't get their own way? A word comes to mind..... bullies.

I thank God that He did not give me that flaw.

Old 03-08-2016, 09:33 AM

7,827 posts, read 4,412,856 times
I'm not a big advocate of taking antidepressants because your life is depressing... That would be entirely appropriate and in fact HEALTHY depression (because your life really is depressing) and not treatable except by changing your life. The first step is the hardest.

Old 03-08-2016, 10:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by otterhere View Post
I'm not a big advocate of taking antidepressants because your life is depressing... That would be entirely appropriate and in fact HEALTHY depression (because your life really is depressing) and not treatable except by changing your life. The first step is the hardest.
Yes, I agree. The first step usually is the hardest.

Old 03-08-2016, 10:16 AM

14,446 posts, read 7,951,594 times
I'm not sure what age group you are in NYgal nor your fitness level. I've never suffered from depression but one of my besties has it. Her husband is facing a bone marrow transplant, was fired from his upper level management job, has one teen at home and one in medical school.

She is in the same rut. She applied for a minimum wage job and got it but has not worked yet. It took a couple of years of me trying to persuade her to get out of the house to get this far. She is not physically active because of a back injury and has gained a ton of weight because of her anti depressants. Talk about a rut

Do you have a good support group of friends? I'm hoping so because they can be your biggest help. I only had a taste of that rut one winter weekend when the weather was terrible and there wasn't anything to do. I sat on the sofa and watched TV all weekend. It made me wonder whether I had made the right decision to retire early.

I like the suggestions about getting a pet and a bike. I just did a 12 mile ride yesterday and may do another one today unless the weather cooperates and I can do a night ride instead. I'm not saying that you should do a 12 mile ride, but if you can get to that level of fitness to be able to do it, then the sky's the limit. Feeling good physically does a lot to change your out look.

You have to find the inner strength to push yourself out of that rut. It can start with baby steps and a walk around the block every day, then increase it to twice a day. You might need some structure in your life so I would try to do it at the same time every day.

Let's make a deal. I'll be your get up and move coach and support if you'll be my stop eating sugar coach. Maybe we can help each other

Old 03-08-2016, 11:16 AM

7,827 posts, read 4,412,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYgal2NC View Post
Yes, I agree. The first step usually is the hardest.
So... Just take that first step... There's some law of physics about "a body in motion"... Once you're moving, just keep moving! It will perpetuate itself and become increasingly easier; everything's a habit. You may need to move or find some new hobbies but, whatever it is, you'll have to force yourself at first. Assuming it's sufficiently rewarding, you'll want to do it from then on. As for cleaning the apartment, it's really hard to do that if you're alone in the world and no one ever visits you. In that case, who cares?

Old 03-08-2016, 11:18 AM

animalcrazy: Thank you for your wonderful post.

I haven't ridden a bike in years. I live in a senior (I'm almost 74) income-based apartment. Walking is really my choice of exercise. But I just need a kick in the pants to get out there and do it. Right now I'm dealing with a sinus thing or head cold and need time to get over it. If I'm still not good by tomorrow I'll see the doctor.

I do have a cat from the SPCA. She is a wonderful addition to my home. Very playful, very funny. She makes me laugh a lot. We are limited to one pet per apartment.

I have good friends, but like everyone else, they are engrossed in their own lives and problems. So getting support from them is minimal. I understand this and am not resentful. I believe in doing what I can to pull myself out of the rut, but found it nice to have a place (C-D) to see how others handle it.

I like the idea of helping each other! My doctor says I am pre-diabetic and exercise and weight loss are strongly recommended. So apparently I have a sugar issue, too.

Thank you for your suggestion, let's try it!

Old 03-08-2016, 11:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by otterhere View Post
So... Just take that first step... There's some law of physics about "a body in motion"... Once you're moving, just keep moving! It will perpetuate itself and become increasingly easier; everything's a habit. You may need to move or find some new hobbies but, whatever it is, you'll have to force yourself at first. Assuming it's sufficiently rewarding, you'll want to do it from then on. As for cleaning the apartment, it's really hard to do that if you're alone in the world and no one ever visits you. In that case, who cares?

Loved your message. I think I heard that establishing a habit takes 21 days at which point if you stop doing the activity you actually miss it.

And you are right about the apartment..... who cares?

Thank you.

Old 03-08-2016, 11:25 AM

9,778 posts, read 7,063,873 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elliotgb View Post
Welp, I just got forced to retire.
Going on the second week or so.

Just like everything in life, once size doesn't fit all and YMMV.
I find myself anything but bored.
I have a house to clean up and get things ready for a move to a smaller place that I refied.
I have the smaller place to clean up and get ready to move stuff into.
I have a 38 year old girlfriend with 2 kids who keeps me busy and "happy".
I exercise 4-5 times per week.

For some reason, I find myself a bit anxious about not having enough time in the day to do the things I really feel I need to do. With the aid of a computer and with investments to track, I haven't gotten bored, yet.

If anything, I sometimes procrastinate about the exercise and think that I will do it later. I always do, but now I am not pressured to finish just to get back to work.

But, then again, I am a retirement newbie and things will change as time flies by.
Maybe it won't. A lot of how you look at those things really depends on your own mindset, including your determination to enjoy and appreciate your life.

Old 03-08-2016, 11:36 AM

1,723 posts, read 1,143,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYgal2NC View Post
I have been retired since 2010. Had to retire when I did due to need for bilateral eye surgery. Aftercare was a lot of work and time and frustration. And I'll always have a problem with one of my eyes. Several other challenges to deal with. Surgery on my right knee (so much better now!). Lost my last sister in September 2015, lost two close friends in February and one acquaintance died then, too.

Right now have a sinus thing going on which makes me sleepy and lazy.

I should be cleaning my apartment, but do a better job of just looking at what needs to be done.

So I am probably in a slump. I have all kinds of dreams of what I want to do but I don't get off my backside and get anything started. I am angry at myself. Just don't feel like pushing myself. What I can afford is limited but there are many other things to do that can be done with minimal cost.

Anyone else having a similar problem? How did you get out of it? I have no family (I have kids but we aren't "connected" for many reasons). Sisters' kids are all out of state.

I hope I am not just a whiner.
It sounds like you are depressed.
If it is a mild depression just disciplining yourself to do whatever you can may be wise. Just do it even though you don't feel like it. Just do little things to keep your body and energy moving. Sounds like you're kinda stagnating and that's not good for you. Little chores. cleaning. a little writing. art (seriously). If your knee is healed enough to do some kind of non-harmful exercise, do it. Exercise is extremely helpful in dealing with depression.

If you have more severe depression then it might be a good idea to find some help of some kind.

And be kind to yourself. There's no need to be down on yourself and it doesn't help!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement