Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-07-2016, 06:57 PM

696 posts, read 703,619 times

Advertisements

Sometimes just getting outside for a walk or run first thing in the morning livens me up for the rest of the day. Once I sit down, though, I might not want to get back up.

Old 03-07-2016, 07:21 PM

5,947 posts, read 5,113,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loriact View Post
Sometimes just getting outside for a walk or run first thing in the morning livens me up for the rest of the day. Once I sit down, though, I might not want to get back up.
Thank you Loriact, that is something I really do need to do.

Old 03-07-2016, 07:36 PM

2,776 posts, read 3,248,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elliotgb View Post
Welp, I just got forced to retire.
Going on the second week or so.

<snip> I haven't gotten bored, yet.

If anything, I sometimes procrastinate about the exercise and think that I will do it later. I always do, but now I am not pressured to finish just to get back to work.
give yourself 2 years. Your brain still thinks you're on vacation.

Old 03-07-2016, 07:58 PM

2,159 posts, read 1,664,651 times
I don't think I am depressed (who knows?) but I have a similar issue. I was in most of January and Feb due to illness and bad weather and got into the habit of doing very little and being fairly content. I know its not good for me.

I just started walking outdoors again, short walks which I hope to extend daily. I am taking senior yoga and taiji at the senior citizens center. I flipped my mattress today.

I am so miserably sore that I will have to make myself go to class tomorrow. I know if I miss a day I will be back to doing nothing toot sweet.

It is hard to get started and stay motivated.

Good luck NYgal and others who are also struggling.

Old 03-07-2016, 08:43 PM

7 posts, read 9,809 times
I think if you start with baby steps walking maybe is a good start .I always feel great after a walk .I know its hard to start but once your out the door it gets better after awhile you feel good. then go home get things straighten up around the house.Maybe make some new friends join a class . hope this helps I understand it's hard but the rewards are great .I hope this helps a little .It can get better .

Old 03-07-2016, 08:52 PM

5,947 posts, read 5,113,548 times
newcomputer and sunnyplaces: Thank you both for great suggestions. I know from the past that once I get out there and get some walking done, life changes dramatically. Clears my head and makes my body feel better.

I've decided to get involved with bird watching and whatever programs there are to keep them safe, etc.

Again, thanks for your help.

Old 03-07-2016, 09:02 PM

6,957 posts, read 12,061,905 times
Just a thought NY: Sinus problems and depression can co mingle. A sinus infection brings on malaise, tiredness, no energy, no uumph. Similar with depression. Hard to distinguish which is which. And, when you have an infection, your antidepressant won't work right either.

Get your health in line. Get the sinus cleared up. Get some antibiotics and take it easy on yourself. You may find that's all that's wrong. Take care. Barb

Old 03-07-2016, 10:39 PM

5,252 posts, read 4,676,657 times
Depression is one of those things we all talk about but only a few experience. The fact that it is experienced differently by the multitude of sufferers is a good place to begin considering the terrible forms this illness takes, from a profound lethargic feeling to ones of being upbeat and feeling confident again. Highs ands lows that offer little hope of ever settling to one or the other for very long. And yeah, winter can be especially difficult, the gloom is definitely not conducive to a positive outlook.

My advice would be to think about the things you can do for fun, leave the work for another time, some sufferers hold themselves to a higher standard of behavior for no other reason than it seems to ameliorate the negative views of oneself. Just go have some fun, even on the cheap you can be free from those feelings of listlessness and indecision. Someone mentioned walking, and just the act of getting out can sometimes do wonders for our heads. Good luck in getting through what's left of winter, the sun really does help the outlook..

Old 03-07-2016, 11:28 PM

1,042 posts, read 874,256 times
NY, I am so sorry for what you are going through. Depression is a cruel beast on so many levels. I think you already know that I am praying for you and that you are one of my favorite people on this forum. And that counseling, though sometimes helpful, is not the "cure" for depression. Some people have given some ideas that might help.

Others have been intentionally cruel. You have been through so much, and the last few months have been going through some intense losses. Please, during this hard time, do not treat yourself as a very few on this thread have done. Treat yourself with the same kindness, respect and patience that you treat others. You deserve it.

Old 03-08-2016, 03:07 AM

6,927 posts, read 6,937,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elliotgb View Post
Welp, I just got forced to retire.
Going on the second week or so.

Just like everything in life, once size doesn't fit all and YMMV.
I find myself anything but bored.
I have a house to clean up and get things ready for a move to a smaller place that I refied.
I have the smaller place to clean up and get ready to move stuff into.
I have a 38 year old girlfriend with 2 kids who keeps me busy and "happy".
I exercise 4-5 times per week.

For some reason, I find myself a bit anxious about not having enough time in the day to do the things I really feel I need to do. With the aid of a computer and with investments to track, I haven't gotten bored, yet.

If anything, I sometimes procrastinate about the exercise and think that I will do it later. I always do, but now I am not pressured to finish just to get back to work.

But, then again, I am a retirement newbie and things will change as time flies by.
Well, that was a helpful post. Too bad you don't have enough spare time to do a little work on your capacity to feel empathy, but congrats on the 38 year-old GF.

I am not familiar with the OP the way some of you seem to be, but I am familiar with fighting depression and having no close family available to turn to. Yes, it can be tiresome when someone keeps posting about the same stuff, but depression can really take a person down for the count. There are days when it's all I can do to get out of bed and get dressed. I do try to counter my depression with meds - I also take wellbutrin, and it helps - some. I also have embarked on a walking routine, and that helps more than the wellbutrin does. My house is not always the the most uncluttered or tidy, but I manage to prevent it from looking like a hoarder's den by throwing everything I don't feel like dealing with in a large shed around back of my house. I make a major effort to reach out to others because I know that living in complete isolation would be fatal for me. Tonight I'm really depressed because somehow I lost my cell phone when I went to the grocery store yesterday. I've called the store to see if it had been turned in - it hadn't; looked all over the house; called my number from my roomie's phone - no answer; and called the local police who told me that by now my cell was probably somewhere out on the near-by Navajo Rez somewhere. Great. I hope whoever took it at least calls their retired grandma in Tuba City to cheer her up. Because the last thing I need right now is to try to come up with the money for a new phone (I don't have any stocks to cash in). So, here I am up in the middle of the night feeling sorry for myself, and I also feel pretty sympathetic for the OP. Life can just get a person down sometimes - let's face it. No need to beat up on poor OP because she's going through a rough spell.

I do have it on the best of evidence that the sun WILL rise in the morning, no matter how black it is at the moment. I hope OP picks up her own phone tomorrow and reaches out for help. There's quite a few meds available for depression and sometimes you have to try several before you finally discover one that helps. Go buy yourself some small indulgence, OP - just a bar of nice lavendor soap will help you cheer up a bit - I'm big on cheap thrills like that - no need to go on a shopping spree. Reach out a hand and perform some small act of kindness for a stranger. Thank a check-out clerk for being so helpful; give a homeless person a dollar (you never know - he might really just want that cup of coffee. Stuff like that. I find that when I start looking at ways I can help others, it stops me from thinking about me - even if just for a few moments. What a relief! Hang in there, Spring is coming, and we have a great bunch of comedians running for president this year. The election news is always good for a few laughs!

All the best,
- Rambler
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement