Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-08-2016, 02:18 PM

5,947 posts, read 5,112,753 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JanND View Post
It is amazing the changes that take place when we help someone else. Check with senior organizations, perhaps just sitting with lonely elderly people..or just calling and checking on them. Call your senior agencies and see what volunteer openings fit your physical limitations. Believe me, when you volunteer to help others your own problems become less consuming.
I agree with your idea. Though I feel I would do better with little kids. I need to check out what is available to me in that area.

Thank you.

Old 03-08-2016, 02:43 PM

2,841 posts, read 3,198,031 times
I wonder if you have adequately grieved your losses? You have lost a lot of people in a short time. Trying to suppress grief with anti-depressants may not be good for you. Have you considered a grief support group, either local to you or online? If your sister had hospice, family can still contact the social worker for a year or so. They might be able to point you toward resources. C-D may not really be the best site for obtaining support. People who are not in your situation may not understand like a group of people in a similar situation could.

Old 03-08-2016, 03:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Windwalker2 View Post
I wonder if you have adequately grieved your losses? You have lost a lot of people in a short time. Trying to suppress grief with anti-depressants may not be good for you. Have you considered a grief support group, either local to you or online? If your sister had hospice, family can still contact the social worker for a year or so. They might be able to point you toward resources. C-D may not really be the best site for obtaining support. People who are not in your situation may not understand like a group of people in a similar situation could.
Thank you for mentioning that. I do not believe I have grieved them. I always seem to want to "get over it" and move on. But realistically I know I have not moved on.

I have done a lot of counseling over many years. And since my sister did have hospice in the nursing home, I do have that support in effect. I see her on a weekly basis. But I can't seem to really talk about it. Now that you have mentioned it, I will ask her about that....... why aren't I talking about it? I don't cry because I'm afraid I won't stop.

You posed a good question for me. Thank you.

Old 03-08-2016, 05:29 PM

2,776 posts, read 3,248,094 times
OP you could try to look into becoming a master naturalist. since you're thinking about protecting birds.

It's similiar to volunteering as a master gardener. The training materials should be minimal cost but you'll get about a week's worth of training that is well worth the required volunteer hours.

Master Naturalist Program | Conservation Education and Research Program

Old 03-08-2016, 05:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunslinger256 View Post
OP you could try to look into becoming a master naturalist. since you're thinking about protecting birds.

It's similiar to volunteering as a master gardener. The training materials should be minimal cost but you'll get about a week's worth of training that is well worth the required volunteer hours.

Master Naturalist Program | Conservation Education and Research Program
Thank you. I've wondered about finding information that would lead me to something like this. I love birds, can identify only a very few, but love their looks and their sounds. Continuously curious about how they survive the terrible weather they live through.

Old 03-08-2016, 06:05 PM

2,320 posts, read 2,558,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYgal2NC View Post
To all the positive and helpful posters who have a good solid base of intelligence and compassion, thank you very much. I have tried to rep you but for some reason C-D is not letting me.

To the others who get their jollies from tearing people down, so so sad for you. Whatever is missing in your lives that you can't think of anything else? There is at least one negative poster who I suggested to her a while back to put me on her ignore list so I wouldn't irritate her, however, she apparently has not done so. I do wonder what life in the ivory tower is like.

It was my thought that C-D was an open forum where people can talk about stuff whether sharing good information or asking for help from people who understand these things.

I've been told by moderators I should "report" these slugs but what's the point. Aren't they just being child-like? Can you imagine what they might have been like on the playground when they didn't get their own way? A word comes to mind..... bullies.

I thank God that He did not give me that flaw.
NYgal I thought the same thing when I first read those ugly posts to you. There is no need to be ugly to someone who is reaching out but I think that this might be one of their "hobbies"...trolling around on CD to see who they can slam.
We all get into ruts -- the best advice has already been given to you here, so I will just add that I am so sorry for all your losses -- I am just now at the age where some of my peers are beginning to die and it's quite a shock and I haven't even lost any of my close friends yet...so I think you are entitled to your feelings and I believe you will find a way to climb out of that rut and get back to enjoying your life.
Take care and yes, ignore the ugly posters on this thread and any others you read.

Old 03-08-2016, 06:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by [B
MagnoliaThunder[/b];43289510]NYgal I thought the same thing when I first read those ugly posts to you. There is no need to be ugly to someone who is reaching out but I think that this might be one of their "hobbies"...trolling around on CD to see who they can slam.
We all get into ruts -- the best advice has already been given to you here, so I will just add that I am so sorry for all your losses -- I am just now at the age where some of my peers are beginning to die and it's quite a shock and I haven't even lost any of my close friends yet...so I think you are entitled to your feelings and I believe you will find a way to climb out of that rut and get back to enjoying your life.
Take care and yes, ignore the ugly posters on this thread and any others you read.
I love the name you go by, MagnoliaThunder.

Totally agree on all points you have made. I will relocate those posters to the ignore list.

I am disappointed to find people with mean natures here on this forum. But I guess they are everywhere.

Old 03-08-2016, 06:39 PM

720 posts, read 765,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Windwalker2 View Post

Exactly what I was thinking! That is a lot of love to lose and I know I would be feeling very tender. You know NY, you said you had some health things going on...there's a school of thought that believes that unprocessed grief manifests in other ways in your body. I think Windwalker's suggestion is a great one.

Old 03-08-2016, 06:54 PM

4,902 posts, read 4,215,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elliotgb View Post
Welp, I just got forced to retire.
Going on the second week or so.

Just like everything in life, once size doesn't fit all and YMMV.
I find myself anything but bored.
I have a house to clean up and get things ready for a move to a smaller place that I refied.
I have the smaller place to clean up and get ready to move stuff into.
I have a 38 year old girlfriend with 2 kids who keeps me busy and "happy".
I exercise 4-5 times per week.

For some reason, I find myself a bit anxious about not having enough time in the day to do the things I really feel I need to do. With the aid of a computer and with investments to track, I haven't gotten bored, yet.

If anything, I sometimes procrastinate about the exercise and think that I will do it later. I always do, but now I am not pressured to finish just to get back to work.

But, then again, I am a retirement newbie and things will change as time flies by.
I hope you feel this way after 2 years instead of 2 weeks. Being active with the kids may be a big help.

Old 03-09-2016, 12:06 AM

11,025 posts, read 7,838,905 times
“Whether you think you can, or you think you can't--you're right.”

- Henry Ford
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement