U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-18-2016, 07:22 AM

14,628 posts, read 17,923,045 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BellaDL View Post
I have refrained from participating in this thread due to the strong political overtone in spite of the disclaimer by the OP. I have my strong beliefs, social and political convictions but have decided long ago that it is a waste of time to engage in political or religious debates be it with friends/families or total strangers on the web.

However, since this thread has now veered towards discussion about immigrants, I feel compelled to provide several links on the immigration myths

Myths and facts about immigration to the United States - RationalWiki
Top 10 Myths About Immigration | Immigration Policy Center
http://www.newsweek.com/2015/10/23/m...rm-382855.html
https://www.aclu.org/immigration-myths-and-facts

My husband is a second generation immigrant (his parents migrated from Canada & grand parents migrated from England and Ireland) and had recently completed a documentary film on US immigrants in NY (started with the Irish then Italians to current Mexicans, South Americans and Middle Easterners etc. The filming started 3 years ago and just happened to have footage of Trump and Ann Coulter. His producer and himself had never expected the anti-immigration rhetoric to reach this level with Trump successfully rides the anti-immigration wave to be the certain Republican Presidential candidate nominee. Nativism is alive and well to the 21st century!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nativism_(politics)
New York City or New York state? All 4 of my grandparents emigrated from eastern Europe to New York City at the beginning of the 20th century. Different times. Very different. Back then - they wouldn't have been allowed into the country without family sponsors to guarantee them financially. And they had to pass physical exams to insure they were healthy and of sound mind:

Before Ebola, Ellis Island

I don't think immigration today bears any resemblance to immigration back then.

Also - I think one's views about immigration are shaped by what one sees and personal experiences. It's kind of like the blind men and the elephant:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blind_men_and_an_elephant

I have always found it humorous to see some small town in New England declaring itself a compassionate "sanctuary city" while taking care of 3 immigrants in a local church. Wonder how they'd feel if we sent them a few thousand immigrants next week? Which is what is happening to us in Florida now:

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/02/13/us...vary.html?_r=0

Thousands of Cubans arriving - and immediately signing up for welfare benefits like food stamps and Medicaid. Note that Medicaid is the second largest budget item in Florida - and is poised to overtake education as the largest in the near future. A lot of this Medicaid money goes to help poor seniors in Florida who need SNF or similar care. And all of these thousands of new Medicaid recipients will compete with seniors for Medicaid resources.

If I lived in other parts of the country - I might see different things. Like local schools being overwhelmed trying to cope with hundreds/thousands of immigrants:

Crush of Illegal Immigrant Children Hits U.S. Schools

Many of whom don't speak English. And - again - the situation today is very different than the one my grandparents encountered 100+ years ago. Their children were expected to learn/speak English at school. Today - schools have to spend who the heck knows how much catering to students who speak dozens of different languages - their parents too:

Nearly Half of NYC Public School Students Speak Non-English Languages at Home

Another thing that irritates me personally is seeing voting ballots that aren't 100% English. One would think that by the time someone became a citizen - he or she would know enough English to be able to vote in English. But - apparently - they don't:

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/10/19/us...ve-tongue.html

Michelle Malkin | » The idiocy of foreign-language ballots: How do you translate “Hillary Clinton” in Chinese?

And our laws require ballots to be printed in multiple languages under certain circumstances.

Is there any other country in the world that requires ballots to be printed in a language that isn't an official language in that country? Does Canada have ballots in Chinese in cities with large Chinese populations? Doubt it. Robyn

Old 03-18-2016, 07:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Caldwell View Post
...The "big guys" in the market are the ones who use high speed computers to buy and sell a million shares a day. They couldn't do it offshore because they would not have access to those stocks. If they continue their speculative ways on the Bourse, we really won't care. Yes, it would change US stock trading patterns, but only by plugging in the tax as an overhead item for trades. Some trades would not happen, but many still would. It would leave small investors virtually unaffected...
Actually - a lot of US stock volume is generated through (non-exchange) dark pools which operate around the world:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dark_liquidity

So - as usual - the "big guys" could get around any rules.

Also - any tax would hurt mom and pop investors - especially those in mutual funds. Because any costs incurred by mutual funds on account of their trading are simply passed on to their fund holders:

https://www.ici.org/viewpoints/view_13_ftt_investors

Robyn

Old 03-18-2016, 08:01 AM

9,188 posts, read 9,267,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeerGeek40 View Post
If the conclusion is that our senior friends should vote in a known liar, a humorless, power hungry dirtbag like Hillary Clinton -- then I say it's time to put the country first and yourself second. Trump is not going to allow seniors to eat dog food --- look at his past record of support for some liberal issues.

Trump is your guy.
I suggest you listen closely to Mitt Romney's speech. When the 2012 Republican nominee says these things, you'd better stand up and listen. Its not Hillary Clinton and its not the DNC talking.

Mitt lays bear the facts that Trump exploited and cheated people ruthlessly with "Trump University". Its why he labels Trump nothing less than a "con man" who is conning the American public.

He calls him a misogynist.

He states his economic policies would cause a recession.

His irresponsible attacks and blustering could touch off a foreign policy crisis or worse.

Foreign leaders are literally pleading with Americans not to elect this jingoistic, irresponsible man to the highest public office in America.

I know if Trump were elected President that I would feel nothing less than the deepest sense of shame.

I have yet to hear anything in a Trump speech that approaches a specific solution to a problem. Instead his speeches are laden with cliches like "We are going to have lots of good jobs". Trump doesn't explain how he can do something that the last three Presidents have struggled to do.

Even Cruz (who I would never vote for) lays out specific policies.

His talk about building a wall and having Mexico pay for it is pure BS.

Trump is simply too much of an uncertainty to vote for as President. Frankly, I would take someone involved in a scandal over him simply because she has been in public service for a long time and I have some ability to predict the way she will behave. Trump is the last man that seniors or any member of the American public should trust with the presidency.

http://www.sltrib.com/home/3608256-1...mp-a-fraud-who

Last edited by markg91359; 03-18-2016 at 09:25 AM..

Old 03-18-2016, 08:05 AM

86,093 posts, read 72,479,637 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
how many american's wish they were sitting on the back of that landscaping truck earning 2 bucks an hour ?. or maybe delivering Chinese food on a bicycle in the dead of winter ?
More like $10/hour cash in hand.

Sunday here is "send money home" day at the supermarkets.
Immigrants lined up at customer service to send money home via Western Union ..all cash transactions.

Old 03-18-2016, 08:34 AM

6,239 posts, read 4,721,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
More like $10/hour cash in hand.

Sunday here is "send money home" day at the supermarkets.
Immigrants lined up at customer service to send money home via Western Union ..all cash transactions.

Or in my area the pay is probably closer to $15-20/hr. That would be cash with no deductions.

Old 03-18-2016, 09:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by markg91359 View Post
I suggest you listen closely to Mitt Romney's speech...
Why? This is what I and many other non-establishment Republicans think about Romney:

Romney also reminded folks like myself that the Republican Establishment is a dumpster fire of incompetence, a group of elite stiffs genetically incapable of winning national elections.
When it comes to sticking a stiletto into a fellow Republican, suddenly Romney is Mitt the Machiavellian!
Unfortunately, when it came to beating beatable incumbent Barack Obama in 2012, Romney couldn’t even deal with Candy Crowley; couldn’t prosecute Benghazi; couldn’t competently handle the questions around his own taxes; could neither shun nor embrace his wealth; couldn’t comprehend that in 2012 maybe you should assume everything is recorded before writing off 47% of voters; couldn’t do one damn thing effectively to win even a single news cycle against a failed incumbent.
Oh, but look at Romney now — diving in the gutter and proving that Mr. Squeaky Clean is in fact quite capable of doing what it takes to win … against his own.

Why We Lose: Where Was Dirty Trickster Mitt Romney When America Needed Him In 2012? - Breitbart

Robyn

Old 03-18-2016, 09:36 AM

3,911 posts, read 2,876,920 times
As a sort of (probably not within a term but almost certainly within 2) soon to be retiree, things like this scare me:

Trump Presidency Is a Global Threat, Economist Intelligence Unit Warns - NBC News

It is very likely that a Trump presidency would usher in some dark days for investors.

Old 03-18-2016, 10:22 AM

5,425 posts, read 3,445,259 times
How could anyone take Donald Trump seriously as presidential material or as holding the character, good judgment, world view, taste, and sensibilities to hold the presidency when his NYC apartment is all done in garish vulgar GOLD everything like a Palace of Versailles knockoff or imitation.

Supposedly it cost $100 million.

See photos: Donald Trump's $100m New York City penthouse in pictures | Daily Mail Online

(to person who doesn't like Dailymail, yes, I know you do not like the publication, but it has the best photos)

Last edited by matisse12; 03-18-2016 at 11:09 AM..

Old 03-18-2016, 11:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReachTheBeach View Post
As a sort of (probably not within a term but almost certainly within 2) soon to be retiree, things like this scare me:

Trump Presidency Is a Global Threat, Economist Intelligence Unit Warns - NBC News

It is very likely that a Trump presidency would usher in some dark days for investors.
And things are so wonderful now? How do super low interest rates help conservative senior investors? Or negative rates (common today in Europe - where the EIU is located)? Or equity markets that go up and down and up and down and up and down?

As an investor - you should be concerned with what the fed does. And even HuffPo has noted that Trump has expressed serious views about the fed. Ones that I agree with:

Unlike Donald Trump's Campaign, His Take On The Federal Reserve Is Sort Of Serious

Most of the other candidates haven't expressed *any* views about the fed.

You have to stop reading all the (MSM and other) nonsense these days. Do some digging to find out what candidates actually are thinking and saying about various issues that are important to you. Robyn

Old 03-18-2016, 11:28 AM

3,911 posts, read 2,876,920 times
The news organization isn't all that relevant; they are just reporting what a British think tank that rates possible threats to economic stability put out. They (EIU) don't have a history of doing this and don't appear to have an axe to grind. They are just looking at possible events that they think are likely to destabilize global economic markets if they occur. Their reasoning seems pretty sound.

As far as Drumpf's comments about the Fed, I think this commentary in the article you link is spot on:
Quote:
Trump’s association with this school of thought, however, appears to conflict with his professed commitment to economic growth. Raising rates, even to address sound concerns about asset or price inflation, would reduce demand in the economy and slow job creation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or