U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-11-2016, 12:25 PM

6,253 posts, read 4,731,924 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
That's why most retirees move from high cost areas to low cost areas.
That high cost will only go higher as the years go by and most retirees are on fairly fixed incomes.

Most people actually do not move but retire where they worked.

I had planned on moving until the grandkids came along. In addition to friends and family there can be some serious downsides to moving. I would not want to move to a remote, rural location. That means medical care can be very limited. As an example, my sister moved to the suburbs of a small city and now is facing major issues commuting for medical care. She is currently in a hospital a 100 miles from where she lives. She has not been able to drive to doctor appointments and public transportation is virtually non-existent. Everything seemed to be working until her husband did a few months ago. Now she is alone with major, major medical issues and her kids are a long day's drive away.

There can also be quality of life issues. I have lived in some very low cost areas. Museums, classical music, art galleries and other signs of culture were virtually non-existent. Schools were poor and educational levels were low. Some of the places were about equivalent to a third world country. No thanks. I will get by where I can take courses, visit museums, listen to music and have social involvements with people who have a thirst for knowledge and understanding.

Old 03-11-2016, 01:34 PM

7,922 posts, read 5,039,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrkliny View Post
... I would not want to move to a remote, rural location. ... There can also be quality of life issues. I have lived in some very low cost areas. Museums, classical music, art galleries and other signs of culture were virtually non-existent. ....
Many years ago, I abandoned the major cities of my youth, for a small rustbelt city – because that's where my dream-job was located. I've been there ever since, except that I don't even live in said city, because of its taxes and various other inconveniences; I'm in the countryside, many miles from any public transportation, or even a gas-station… let alone classical music. But I do love classical music! Thus, the whole point of retiring isn't to cease working or to escape the present workplace situation. It's to relocate back to one of those high-cost-of-living places, where there are people who've traveled overseas and who speak foreign languages and who actually read books from time to time.

The timing depends on investment returns and on the political climate.

It's true that by additional savings and belt-tightening we can improve our financial situation. But as we get closer to retirement, and the ratio of portfolio-balance to annual-salary becomes large, we're far more at the mercy of financial markets, than of personal habits. The irony is that the more money we accumulate, the less independence we have. Why? Because what happens to that money is progressively less under our own control. If a politician in Europe says something stupid and the Euro falls in response, I lose more money (through exposure to European stocks) than I could possibly earn in several years. If a politician in America says something stupid, the effect is even worse. Every time there are jitters of a Chief Executive who might hanker for higher capital-gains taxes, or tariffs, or restrictive immigration policies, or anything that's felt to be deleterious for corporate profits – I lose. And it's unlikely that I'm alone.

In the modern world, it's simply not possible to obtain an acceptable rate of return without going into the stock market (and it may not be possible there either!). For anyone who's made decent headway in saving for retirement, what matters isn't jobs or housing prices or gas prices. It's corporate profits. Anything that raises corporate profits is a boon. Anything that stymies them is a danger. The best president would in effect be a reincarnation of Calvin Coolidge.

Old 03-11-2016, 03:09 PM

12,825 posts, read 20,141,183 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrkliny View Post
I certainly don't want to discuss politics. There is a separate forum for that. I am concerned about the results of the next election on those of us who are retired or already retired.

As a retiree, I have certain needs and expectations from government. I need to see social security remain viable. I need to see Medicare/Medicaid remain intact. Even with the current programs I have concerns about healthcare costs. My supplement and out of pocket costs are very high. The future need for skilled nursing care is always a possible concern. In addition to social security and healthcare costs, many of us are also dependent on withdrawals and returns on our investments. Also I live in a very high cost area. To some extent my income matches those costs but I am also at risk for seeing some of my costs increase and for seeing additional taxation.

Again, I do not want to discuss who should be the next President, but I do want to predict and potentially adjust to the likely outcomes. As I see it there are some likely trends.

If Bernie is elected we can expect he will push for added benefits. Unfortunately those benefits seem to involve things like free college tuition which does not help us seniors. Taxes are likely to increase. In addition Bernie talks about "going after Wall Street." I am not sure what that means except he wants to increase capital gains taxes. In addition to more taxes when we try to withdraw from our investments, the stock market is likely to slide severely. I am not sure what Hillary want to do. She is perhaps more moderate on spending but she for sure wants to increase capital gains taxes.

On the Republican side, I have an even harder time understanding the platform. Trump seems to enjoy making outrageous statements to gain attention and he also makes lots of promises but beyond those I am lost. Cruz and Rubio don't seem to have much of a chance for being elected, but they seem more interested in evangelistic ideals such as killing gay marriage and eliminating abortions. The Republicans seem to want to spend much more on the military so costs and taxes are not likely to remain constant with them either.

What do you think of the likely outcomes and -- beyond the useless act of voting -- what can we do to adapt?
Free or greatly assisted post secondary education (e.g. like they have and have had for decades in most other advanced countries) may not help seniors directly but it sure could help young adults to get established as fiscally fit tax payers.

Just saying.

Old 03-11-2016, 03:15 PM

12,825 posts, read 20,141,183 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nor'Eastah View Post
It positively does not matter who "wins" (loses?). The president has not been The Decider for decades now. Decisions are made at a much higher level of international power. It has already been decided who will be the next president. We don't vote for a president; we vote for a delegate, who then decides for us. Bernie or Trump could win enough for nomination, and still not be nominated.

As for SS and Medicare, they will last as long as they don't go broke. The WILL go broke. It's just a matter of when the string-pullers decide to stop diverting funds from other accounts.

Those who will get hurt most, are those who are not tightening their belts now, and reining in spending. Those who live in high COL areas and won't sell an expensive house, or those spending lots on fancy vacations, will wish they hadn't. The writing's on the wall. Put on your glasses.
That's right the whole thing (including even these messy borderline violent primaries) are controlled by the man behind the curtain, an Atlantacist Jewish Frankfurt school worshipper of the big black stone in the UN and a flyer of those scary black helicopters, not to mention vaunted builder of the secret FEMA camps with the inward facing barbed wire. He also deploys the Communist Masons to hide under our beds! / sarc

Old 03-11-2016, 03:20 PM

7,922 posts, read 5,039,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BayAreaHillbilly View Post
That's right the whole thing (including even these messy borderline violent primaries) are controlled by the man behind the curtain, an Atlantacist Jewish Frankfurt school worshipper of the big black stone in the UN and a flyer of those scary black helicopters, not to mention vaunted builder of the secret FEMA camps with the inward facing barbed wire. He also deploys the Communist Masons to hide under our beds! / sarc
"He"?

Based on discussions over in the Relationships forum, we concluded that it must be a "She"!

Old 03-11-2016, 08:49 PM
eok

6,684 posts, read 3,170,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RiverBird View Post
We know enough about the "candidates" to vote tomorrow.
With what we know about the candidates, it might make more sense to vote against tomorrow.

Old 03-12-2016, 07:07 AM

12,506 posts, read 4,227,357 times
A vote for Hillary is a vote for more of the same nonsense.
A vote for Bernie is a vote for the USSR, 1917-1990
A vote for Cruz is a good vote, but Cruz will not win.
A vote for Kasich is also a good vote, but it's a wasted one as Kasich won't get the nomination, and if he does, he won't win.
A vote for Rubio is a wasted vote on a single term U.S. senator who has never created a job.

That leaves just one candidate left. Guess who.

Old 03-12-2016, 07:23 AM
PDD

8,774 posts, read 14,869,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeerGeek40 View Post
A vote for Hillary is a vote for more of the same nonsense.
A vote for Bernie is a vote for the USSR, 1917-1990
A vote for Cruz is a good vote, but Cruz will not win.
A vote for Kasich is also a good vote, but it's a wasted one as Kasich won't get the nomination, and if he does, he won't win.
A vote for Rubio is a wasted vote on a single term U.S. senator who has never created a job.

That leaves just one candidate left. Guess who.
I like that guy, if he doesn't like what people say just have your security team "beat the crap out of them"

That's the kind of guy I want for POTUS.

Old 03-12-2016, 08:36 AM

15,236 posts, read 8,527,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BayAreaHillbilly View Post
Free or greatly assisted post secondary education (e.g. like they have and have had for decades in most other advanced countries) may not help seniors directly but it sure could help young adults to get established as fiscally fit tax payers.

Just saying.
THat's always been the problem with seniors not supporting education because their own kids are grown...with education there is a very big "trickle up" effect that helps everyone.

Old 03-12-2016, 08:50 AM

13,227 posts, read 6,331,374 times
I'm not sure free education will help everyone. We can see now that an entry level job like an admin or secretary requires a college level. Uncessary, but you end up with lots of debt for an entry level job and delayed starting point. You could have worked 4 years sooner.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or