Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-10-2016, 12:20 PM

7,485 posts, read 10,433,284 times

Advertisements

We've had a housecleaner since our daughters were in their teens, and my wife went to work. The girls would have friends over, parties, boyfriends to dinner, etc, and it was just too much for my wife, who worked full-time. It really didn't cost very much (2 hours per week), and made a BIG difference!

At various times, we've hired out numerous tasks around the property - fall clean-up (outside), spring clean-up, flower and shrub planting, car detailing, lawn-mowing - you name it. If it wasn't in our schedules, and wasn't too expensive, we'd hire someone to help with it.

I'm very happy that grandson #2, age 15, is now into lawn care, landscape cleaning and planting, and even small engine repair! Go Christopher! He out-earns his dad during the summers!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2016, 04:04 PM

58 posts, read 59,447 times
Good for you - my wife and I clean together but having the cleaners come in clears out the bulk so we just have to tidy up a little. Makes a huge difference and money well spent.

Old 03-10-2016, 04:49 PM

7,019 posts, read 6,227,657 times
Thanks to all for the positive feedback. Since my back operation I can no longer bend. This has made it very difficult. There is a lot of space in the lower cupboards that is unused because of this. I do have pullout where I can, but need help organizing the cabinets to reduce the wasted space.

If I do try to get something from the lower shelves I have to crawl to a chair and pull myself up. Even with that I am looking at a lot of pain. My wonderful sister just doesn't get how inhibited I am in my movements and helped me set up my apartment when I moved in here.

It's going to be interesting to see what's in these cabinets. As it is, a lot was found yesterday that I have been looking for. It was like meeting old friends, lol.

My helper caught on quickly how limited I am and put things I use a lot within easy reach. What a relief it was/is to have found my lost items & to not have to try to bend.

Old 03-10-2016, 04:49 PM

44,256 posts, read 64,077,267 times
Life is too short to participate in inconsequential tasks that you don't enjoy.

Old 03-10-2016, 04:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
Life is too short to participate in inconsequential tasks that you don't enjoy.

It's not that I didn't enjoy the cleaning as much as paying in pain if I overdo.

It's difficult to adjust to not bending when I was able to for 61 years.

Old 03-10-2016, 05:11 PM

8,775 posts, read 11,852,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by meo92953 View Post
It's not that I didn't enjoy the cleaning as much as paying in pain if I overdo.

It's difficult to adjust to not bending when I was able to for 61 years.

I can't imagine not being able to bend and be flexible. I could never do my job if I couldn't do those things so I do feel for you. Good on you getting a housecleaner. I'm getting one too. I know I asked for "no carpet" when I bought this house, and I DO love my wood floors, but there's so MUCH of them! Plus the kitchen, bathrooms and big laundry room that are all tiled! It wears me out doing one room at a time. And my house is a super dust magnet. That's partly because my yard is nothing but dirt but that will be remedied pretty soon. So, I will have my housekeeper come in every couple of weeks and I have my good handyman back so the yard is being taken care of. He 'fell off the wagon' a couple of months ago and had to leave the Recovery House but he's back and, hopefully, will stay this time! I get my yard work done for free in exchange for them using my storage shed for all their landscaping 'stuff'. I can 'borrow' it whenever I need to as well. I am finally ready to move forward with some home improvements. Can't believe I've been in my house a year now!

Old 03-10-2016, 06:30 PM

14,277 posts, read 6,875,897 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZDesertBrat View Post
I can't imagine not being able to bend and be flexible. I could never do my job if I couldn't do those things so I do feel for you. Good on you getting a housecleaner. I'm getting one too. I know I asked for "no carpet" when I bought this house, and I DO love my wood floors, but there's so MUCH of them! Plus the kitchen, bathrooms and big laundry room that are all tiled! It wears me out doing one room at a time. And my house is a super dust magnet. That's partly because my yard is nothing but dirt but that will be remedied pretty soon. So, I will have my housekeeper come in every couple of weeks and I have my good handyman back so the yard is being taken care of. He 'fell off the wagon' a couple of months ago and had to leave the Recovery House but he's back and, hopefully, will stay this time! I get my yard work done for free in exchange for them using my storage shed for all their landscaping 'stuff'. I can 'borrow' it whenever I need to as well. I am finally ready to move forward with some home improvements. Can't believe I've been in my house a year now!
For the wood floors I recommend one of those silly little swiffers. They really should make a larger size. They pick up dust bunnies, dog/cat hair and small "dirt" in one swipe. Dirt from the yard is another thing, but it sounds like you are getting that taken care of.

Old 03-10-2016, 06:36 PM

13,754 posts, read 13,199,905 times
As a frame of reference, I pay $40 for a half hour riding lesson. I can totally imagine how you must feel getting the "stuff" under control!

Old 03-10-2016, 06:52 PM

Hunterseat, I'm envious you can ride a horse!

I'm paying her $20 per hour but trying to live within my income so I don't have to go into savings. So from now until we get this place straightened up it will be 2 hours a week. This week I did three hours because I know she was really broke (through her daughter) & wanted to make sure I was of help. Wish I could afford 3 hours a week forever but I just can't.

I knew she'd just lost one client, which happens with us aged folks, & the 60 made up for that client plus the ongoing will ensure she can eat. Losing the one put her too close to not making it.

Last edited by meo92953; 03-10-2016 at 06:56 PM.. Reason: Addition

Old 03-10-2016, 07:26 PM

14,229 posts, read 29,913,388 times
Good for you!

I only hired cleaners once in my life. I had to move cross country and didn't have much time to report to my new job. I loved it! A whole crew came in and made the house look great and ready to sell. If I had the money I would do it every other week or so!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement