U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-11-2016, 05:38 AM

1,601 posts, read 1,312,212 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SFBayBoomer View Post
Couldn't you have just posted your 2nd and 3rd sentences without the negative comment about people who either need or want to do their own housecleaning?
Because I was not talking about those who needed or wanted to do their own -I was talking about those who denigrate people who prefer hiring housecleaning.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2016, 06:45 AM

14,628 posts, read 17,917,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by meo92953 View Post
Thanks to all for the positive feedback. Since my back operation I can no longer bend. This has made it very difficult. There is a lot of space in the lower cupboards that is unused because of this. I do have pullout where I can, but need help organizing the cabinets to reduce the wasted space.

If I do try to get something from the lower shelves I have to crawl to a chair and pull myself up. Even with that I am looking at a lot of pain. My wonderful sister just doesn't get how inhibited I am in my movements and helped me set up my apartment when I moved in here.

It's going to be interesting to see what's in these cabinets. As it is, a lot was found yesterday that I have been looking for. It was like meeting old friends, lol.

My helper caught on quickly how limited I am and put things I use a lot within easy reach. What a relief it was/is to have found my lost items & to not have to try to bend.
If you plan to stay in your house for a fair amount of time - consider re-doing/retro-fitting your kitchen so it's more accessible. Our lower kitchen cabinets are all fitted with full-extension drawers (small top drawers for silverware/spices/knives/gadgets/etc. and 2 larger bottom drawers for pots/pans/other larger items). Everything is visible when you open the drawers and very easy to reach.

I remember my late mother and MIL dealing with those awful bottom cabinets that were simply big empty boxes stacked with all manner of pots and pans from front to back. Actually saw my mother fall down a few times trying to get stuff out of those cabinets.

Also try to commandeer a closet or two that you can use as a pantry/storage area for foodstuffs/kitchen items you don't use that often. Who doesn't have at least some closet space that is being used for old ratty towels or clothing you'll never use again? Have some shelving installed and - voila - instant pantry.

Of course - there's probably kitchen stuff that should be tossed too. Don't simply move things around - get rid of things you never use.

FWIW - I know some people like open wall storage - like pegboard systems. Julia Child was an early champion of them:

DIY: Pegboard Kitchen Organization Inspired by Julia Child: Remodelista

On my part - I found that they weren't a great way to store things that I didn't use all the time. Because the things on the wall just got greasy and dirty and dusty.

Overall - it sounds to me like you have more of an organizing project than a cleaning project. And I would approach it as such (using outside help if you need/want it). When we built our house - I was in my late 40's - and I planned my kitchen with the thought that I probably wouldn't be as flexible when I got older as I was then (and I was right ). Robyn

Old 03-11-2016, 07:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZDesertBrat View Post
I can't imagine not being able to bend and be flexible. I could never do my job if I couldn't do those things so I do feel for you. Good on you getting a housecleaner. I'm getting one too. I know I asked for "no carpet" when I bought this house, and I DO love my wood floors, but there's so MUCH of them! Plus the kitchen, bathrooms and big laundry room that are all tiled! It wears me out doing one room at a time. And my house is a super dust magnet. That's partly because my yard is nothing but dirt but that will be remedied pretty soon. So, I will have my housekeeper come in every couple of weeks and I have my good handyman back so the yard is being taken care of. He 'fell off the wagon' a couple of months ago and had to leave the Recovery House but he's back and, hopefully, will stay this time! I get my yard work done for free in exchange for them using my storage shed for all their landscaping 'stuff'. I can 'borrow' it whenever I need to as well. I am finally ready to move forward with some home improvements. Can't believe I've been in my house a year now!
I've always liked carpet. When we were renting while we were building our current house - our rental had what seemed like several acres of white tile. And it never stayed clean/dust-free for more than 3 minutes. I like to walk barefoot - and hated getting grit between my toes all the time.

So we put carpet we like in our new house. We replaced the old carpet a few years ago. With commercial carpet tiles. It's a nice sleek industrial look that goes well with our furnishings.

We also put in luxury vinyl tile in the kitchen and laundry room. A contemporary iteration of the kind of materials we've been using in kitchens and laundry rooms for decades. I've never been a fan of tile in kitchens because grout stains when you spill things (inevitable over the years). Also because it's tough on your feet/back if you spend a fair amount of time on your feet in the kitchen (I do).

We do have tile in the bathrooms. Because it resists moisture/humidity better than other flooring materials.

We use this "steam mop" to clean the hard surfaces - and it works pretty well:

Amazon.com - BISSELL 1940 Powerfresh Steam Mop, Blue - Household Steam Mops

Robyn

Old 03-11-2016, 07:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by biscuitmom View Post
Are you arguing that being retired or disabled means persons should be held to a different standard when choosing to hire household help?
If so I respectfully disagree. IMO no one should ever have to justify their choice. Legions of retired and disabled persons do their own house cleaning, legions of retired and disabled persons hire it out. It's not a right/wrong issue.
Agreed. I've had housekeepers once a week for probably 4 decades. The big problem I've had is most get old and slow down or have health issues (like obesity). To the point where they aren't very efficient at all (even less efficient than me and my husband - even though we're older). At this point - my husband and I have taken over doing a couple of things our housekeeper used to do - just because we do them better. Also - our current housekeeper has recently started to bring her granddaughter along to help her. The granddaughter is obviously in better shape than any of us. But she often arrives wearing things like skin tight jeans and knee high boots. It's not easy to do many household chores dressed like that. I guess at some point I'll have to put my foot down. But - since my housekeeper's husband recently died after a lengthy illness - I'll put that on the back burner for a while. Robyn

Old 03-11-2016, 08:13 AM

13,191 posts, read 6,301,958 times
My husband and I are doing most chores. I figure the longer we do them the healthier we stay. I've had hired help in the past but they didn't clean the way it should be cleaned. When I was home for a long period of time, I've discovered tons of dirt under my bed was never vacuumed, hence I got lots of allergies. So no more help unless I get really old.

Old 03-11-2016, 11:47 AM

13,636 posts, read 8,554,879 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by meo92953 View Post
I've debated for months whether I needed some help but realized I would not open my door far when neighbors knocked. I was so embarrassed by the disorganization.

Then a friend of mine, whose mother does cleaning/organizing for a living needed a client & I said to myself, why not?

Today was our first day & although from here on out it will be less time, (today was $60 for three hours) she really made my dining area look great. Plus, we got along really well so it was a win/win.

We'll tackle the kitchen next week but I did tell her I couldn't afford three hours so we'll work with what I can afford. The kitchen will be a challenge as the cupboards are really designed wrong, I can't bend so that limits where I can place things and, since I love to cook, I have gadgets. Has been really difficult to cook here.

To top it off, my friend, who is her daughter, is both of our favorite person. So we started out with good attitudes, she knew my limitations & it was good for both of us.
Good Post!

We are never too old to turn over a new leaf, and reorganizing (or GETTING organized!) can do wonders for all of us. Before you know it, you'll be inviting people over!

Old 03-11-2016, 01:46 PM

14,364 posts, read 7,911,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by funisart View Post
I have never understood why so many self righteous people feel that it is so virtuous to do your own housecleaning. We have had housekeepers for the last 40 years and do not plan to stop using them now that we are retired. Lots of things that I would rather do than mop a floor. Think of it as giving a deserving person a means to make a living.

That's one way of looking at it and really who does like doing house work? I just look at it as an opportunity to burn calories and get John off of the computer or sofa. It's my evil plan and I'm sticking to it.

Old 03-11-2016, 02:05 PM

2,677 posts, read 1,069,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCN View Post
I think one of the reasons I like visiting timeshares is that the maid comes at the end of the week. When you think how much a cleaning service charges, last calls on the RCI.com website is almost like staying for free. I would be hiring someone at home but hubby does not like the idea. He says he will help me and he does but he does NOT know how to mop a floor. When he finished he left a mixture of water and dirt. I bought a steam cleaner but alas it does not run itself.

I wash clothes and he folds them. I used to put the dishes in the dishwasher and he put them up but he decided I wasn't putting them in to his satisfaction so now he loads the dishwasher and puts them up if I don't get to them first. I vacuum because he does not give the carpet vacuum time to suck up the dirt--he is just not a floor man. I had a vacuum that ran itself and my son did the powerful man act and broke the gears. It's a process but if I am ever on my own again I think much of the house maintenance will be professional.

Try to accept how your husband does the cleaning. I watched as my own Mom would re-do whatever my Dad cleaned and it was awful to watch him deflate. He wasn't doing anything wrong, he just didn't use a toothbrush to clean the baseboards. Mom was just OCD with cleaning and it threw a wedge between them.
After Dad died and Mom had two hip operations she finally allowed somone into her home to clean it.
Before the cleaners arrive my Mom moves the sofa and armchairs away from the walls and prepares all areas for the cleaners to do a "proper" job. The whole idea getting her help is to stop her from doing any heavy work.

I don't think my Mom is the sharpest tack.

Old 03-11-2016, 02:55 PM

2,003 posts, read 2,016,393 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunGrins View Post
I'm thinking about shaving the cat.
I'd buy tickets to that. Then you could use the money to hire a cleaning lady while the stitches heal!

Old 03-11-2016, 03:18 PM

7,110 posts, read 8,147,355 times
We've done the following things at our new place:

There's a kitchen island now, with two hanging pot racks above it. No more pots and pans hidden away!
When designing our new cabinets, we had a corner (L-shape) and instead of putting a cramped Lazy Susan under there, I used it for our 'short' water heater, which can be accessed from outdoors.
We both wear slippers only around the house. Boots and shoes off at the doorway. Outside dirt stays outside.
We bought a couple of "Go-fers" - a long-handled tool with a grabbing end. I use mine a lot.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or