U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-11-2016, 10:09 AM

95 posts, read 75,725 times

Advertisements

Hello, I worked for the last 37 yrs and had 12 more years before I was to retire at 66years of age. I was forced to give up my career due to medical problems and am now on SSDI. I was surprised that after signing up for SSDI I received it in 98 days. Medical records showed that I am no longer able to work and that is why I got it so fast.

I am sad that I am now disabled and can no longer do my job in nursing. I have profound hearing impairment and meniers. its the vertigo that put me out of work, since I worked with my hearing impairment just fine. (I read lips) my vestibular nerve isn't working another reason they found me disabled. I have been out of work for 2 yrs now.

Here is my question do you dream that you are back at work doing your job or a different job ? I am always having dreams that I am working but hiding from my bosses lol

I gave my car to my daughter and also am having the same dream that I cant find my car keys and am out in the parking lot looking for my car. lol I wake up thinking you don't have a car any more nor do you work.

just courious if anybody else dreams that they are still working.
thank you,

Last edited by sutton08865; 03-11-2016 at 10:10 AM.. Reason: forgot something
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2016, 10:29 AM

1,926 posts, read 992,155 times
I dream that I am at work naked. I think, in the dream, that if I just keep working, no one will say anything. I am acutely uncomfortable but I try to act "normal".

I had to quit work because of health issues. In the end, I felt I was not competent at my job, even though no one else appeared to notice.

I have been retired for about 6 years and I still have this dream occasionally.

Old 03-11-2016, 11:58 AM

6,130 posts, read 9,091,165 times
Yes, I have that dream, but they are getting fewer as time goes on. It's mostly about the horrid boss(es) and what stupid mean things they are doing. And the incompetence of the administration is the theme. It's always about a woman boss. Never a man. Seems the men and I always got along ok. LOL

Old 03-11-2016, 02:16 PM

2,207 posts, read 1,351,512 times
I have a dream that has come and gone over the years where I am in a building with a lot of doors (like an office hallway before cubicles became popular) and I am looking for something. Never know what I am looking for and can never seem to find my way out of the building. Lots of looking and searching going on.

I think the dream reappears when I am trying to work through a situation or trying to decide something important. I just accept it as something my brain needs to do to help me through an issue.

Sutton, your dreams may be helping you adjust to your situation. You still want/need/think-you-should be at work, but hiding from boss because you know you can't be there. It will work itself out.

Old 03-11-2016, 02:23 PM

548 posts, read 252,995 times
I've been retired from nursing for 6 years and sometimes dream that I'm back at work. The dreams are always the same---that it's almost noon and I'm still trying to get my 8 AM meds passed.

Old 03-12-2016, 07:01 AM

95 posts, read 75,725 times
thank you all for replying. glad to see im not the only one who still dreams of working lol

Old 03-12-2016, 09:29 AM

4,881 posts, read 4,856,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhxBarb View Post
... It's mostly about the horrid boss(es) and what stupid mean things they are doing. And the incompetence of the administration is the theme. It's always about a woman boss. Never a man. Seems the men and I always got along ok. LOL
^^^Mine are a bit similar but I have them more than I want. My situation was in a school and
somehow they call me back but the school has been remodeled and I can't find my way to
the classroom.
Plus, I still have dreams from college where a paper is due and I don't know if I have enough
time to finish it or hand it to the professor.

Old 03-12-2016, 04:14 PM

2,221 posts, read 2,038,205 times
I had to leave work for medical reasons in 1993, due to a workplace injury. I still dream about being back at work. Sometimes I dream that I go in to work, new people are in my office, and no one remembers me, which is probably true.

Old 03-12-2016, 05:52 PM

6,325 posts, read 3,583,841 times
I don't recall ever having work dreams. Most of my dreams are about high school and college. The remainder are about loved ones who have died and a recurring one about being troubled by an enormous house which I am trying to furnish.

That latter one is about life in retirement and fulfilling all the possibilities, I think.

I've never had a dream about being naked (far too modest!) But for some years I had a dream that I was at my wedding, dressed beautifully complete with veil, with my flowers, my arm in my father's arm and ready to walk down the aisle. Just as the bridal march begins to play I look down and see that I am wearing my Daisy Dukes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement