U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-12-2016, 05:38 PM

6,322 posts, read 3,581,874 times

Advertisements

All the meetings of the groups we belong to are on week nights so the weekend means we can settle down with a good movie.

The radio programming is different so that nudges me into a different listening schedule.

These days Monday is my favorite day of the week.

The day "you" have to avoid is the day everybody's Social Security check comes. That's when all the old people are out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2016, 06:12 PM

14,018 posts, read 17,747,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lodestar View Post

The day "you" have to avoid is the day everybody's Social Security check comes. That's when all the old people are out.
Perhaps you meant the foregoing as a joke, but if not I don't get it. First, Social Security checks do not come on the same day for everyone; depending on one's birthday they arrive on either the second, third, or fouth Wednesday of the month. Second, few people receive paper checks anymore; SS has been trying to convert everybody to electronic deposit for years now. Third, why would someone go out because it's their monthly payday (whether paper check or electronic). What is the connection between getting paid and going out?

If it was a joke, sorry, but I don't get the joke very well either. Perhaps I am extra dense today!

Old 03-12-2016, 06:34 PM

5,429 posts, read 3,454,205 times
poverty-stricken and poor people often go out on the day they receive their paycheck or their welfare check or whatever check sustains them.....

by myth or by actuality

Old 03-12-2016, 07:33 PM

14,547 posts, read 17,556,449 times
During the week, its very quiet outside. Weekend people noisy it up way too much. Especially the lawn mower jockies. Errrrrr to the noise. And the fumes. Ugh. And some of the stores close on Sunday. (not christan myself, don't see why they'd do that to everyone). Saturday's tv is awful. Except for Masterpiece theater, Sunday is too full of sports. (also detest sports, especially that there is too much of it).

The business across the street which generates a lot of traffic and noise is closed on Sunday.

As a natural night person, I've started going to bed in the wee hours and getting up past noon so most of the day noise is over.

I do most shopping online and when expecting something big to come, will try to be up earlier. But get milk and bread and fresh veggies from the store, and order most of the rest.

Old 03-12-2016, 09:15 PM

4,121 posts, read 4,702,090 times
I'm usually sorta aware of what day it is, but it doesn't make any difference. I often get Fridays & Saturdays mixed up. I keep thinking the weekend is here for "working folk", and then I realize it's only Friday.

I try to avoid certain things (shopping!) on the weekends since everyone else is out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlawrence01 View Post
Everyday is a weekend day!!!

Seriously.
Yep. Not long after I retired I came to realize every night is Friday night, and every day is Saturday.

Old 03-12-2016, 09:19 PM
NCN

21,135 posts, read 21,894,255 times
Every day is Saturday except for Sunday when you retire.

Old 03-12-2016, 09:36 PM

1,164 posts, read 651,494 times
Maybe when we're 100% retired I'll be able to enjoy weekends again. Right now Sat. is catch-up day, lots of outside chores. Sun is the worst, I get up earlier than weekly to attend church, stop at store on the way home (conserving gas miles that way) and getting the house organized for the week ahead including gathering all the recycling and garbage for early Monday morning pickup. Small group meeting all evening Sunday also. It's exhausting.

I'm sure that busy Sunday will be quite a nice change when the week isn't so blasted busy all the time. I can't wait.

Old 03-12-2016, 09:38 PM

11,096 posts, read 12,481,863 times
To me a weekend is just like every other day except there's baseball on in summer. I still enjoy a relaxing Sunday, but actually sometimes Tuesday is Sunday. I tend to forget what day of the week it is too, except for Thursday which is trash day. Can't forget trash day. Where was I?

Old 03-12-2016, 11:56 PM

18,835 posts, read 4,946,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jim9251 View Post
To me a weekend is just like every other day except there's baseball on in summer. I still enjoy a relaxing Sunday, but actually sometimes Tuesday is Sunday. I tend to forget what day of the week it is too, except for Thursday which is trash day. Can't forget trash day. Where was I?

Thursday is trash day here too, I put out the trash Wednesday evening...it seems like every
time I turn around it's Wednesday again....

Old 03-13-2016, 01:04 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
22,622 posts, read 39,986,663 times
As a dairy farmer.(kid)... Cows don't take the weekend off...and in all my businesses I try to give employees weekends off.

Sunday was always my favorite day to work, fewer whining coworkers, more pay, customers used to be happy to find a place open to serve them.

Since I worked 3 jobs plus went to school, I always did my laundry, cooking and college homework on Sunday. Seems to still ring true, except for 5pm Sunday in PST west coast USA means my workers in Thailand are beginning their Monday. So... Conference calls begin and go on to the wee hours.

I make it a point to not go camping, or shopping on weekends.

It runs in the family... My sis works 3 day weekend night shift and loves it + makes more than a 5 day std shift. Less time commuting, more time at home.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or