U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-13-2016, 03:26 PM

679 posts, read 617,292 times

Advertisements

As retirees we completely flipped how we spend weekends. We stay home so as not to 'complete' with working people that may have only the weekends off.
The beaches, stores, bars, etc are crowded all the time here but weekends are just crazy so we try to do our small part to give everyone a bit more space.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2016, 03:44 PM

3,944 posts, read 3,261,008 times
We do a lot more with our families on the weekends simply for the reason that most of the younger ones are still working, if nothing has been planned during the week we might go out to a movie or dinner on Saturday night. Friends who live in a very touristy area on the Ocean say they never leave the house on weekends, we feel the same way during the week, doing our shopping early in order to miss the working population who look as though they could use a break..Most weeks I don't have a clue as to what day of the week it is, or date, but I got the year...

Old 03-13-2016, 05:01 PM

23,605 posts, read 31,475,774 times
As others have said, weekends are something we're cognizant of because they're when we stay home to avoid crowds and traffic.

Old 03-13-2016, 05:36 PM

21,868 posts, read 14,364,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Now that I'm retired weekends mean not going anywhere and not rushing to complete projects.

My concept of the weekend has changed from "got to get everything done" to "2 days to chill at home and smell the roses".

Not working means you don't have to worry about deliveries and/or contract work because you are home.
And if they have to reschedule it's no big deal.
This is me. Sometimes we go somewhere or do something that only takes place on a weekend though.

For our next vacation we are leaving on Sunday! Will be back whenever. I am so excited about the prospect. And when I come home, I don't have to start thinking about work.

Old 03-13-2016, 06:36 PM

631 posts, read 403,194 times
My week-ends are more like returning from a cruise and preparing for another. I cook and freeze everything for the week. That way I can eat whatever I want, already nicely prepared with no real work on my part. I plan my "spa days" [ a group of us old broads doing each others nails and hair and giving each other facials] and "shore excursions." [ last week was a stroll on the "Arkansas River Walk," 2 days in a trailer at a camping club in Conifer Colorado,] and entertainment. [play at community theater] I spend hours sitting in the sun reading. Since I am in a new town, just like a cruise I am meeting wonderful new people every day.

As when I take a real cruise, I always feel sorry for those who are unable to enjoy such a treat and fantasize how wonderful it would be if everyone was able to.

Old 03-13-2016, 08:48 PM

125 posts, read 199,074 times
Weekends have always been very special not only during the working years but my entire life for that matter. Once retired I have to agree with most that every day does seem like a weekend. With that said I've always maintained that special treatment should be given to the good ole weekend that we have always enjoyed our entire lives. People out and about are more festive which creates a nice vibe.Therefore I don't mind doing such things as shopping, socializing with friends, getting coffee, going to festivals, farmers markets and the like. Of course the bonus of being retired is that when monday morning rolls in the smile continues.

Old 03-13-2016, 10:37 PM
JRR

3,678 posts, read 2,224,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyonpa View Post
Stock market is not open on weekend....
Same for me. If the stock market is not open, I know it must be the weekend (or maybe a holiday).

Old 03-13-2016, 10:59 PM

39,534 posts, read 47,711,196 times
Every day is the same here. Actually I forget what day it is frequently. Spouse has to remind me, especially on trash pick-up day.

Old 03-14-2016, 10:10 AM

37,097 posts, read 45,613,761 times
I still get the old feeling of freedom on Friday afternoons, after my volunteer job ends at 2:00 pm. Silly, I guess, because hubby's part time job often gives him days off during the week.

For me, it is more about no appointments, and no phone calls for two days. I don't go shopping on weekends either.

Old 03-15-2016, 09:39 AM

34,682 posts, read 33,681,492 times
I rarely go out on Saturdays (the opposite of when I was in the workforce) however, Sunday morning is my best time for outdoor photography. I photograph birds in the woods around the community college (closed on Sunday, strictly a commuter college) in my town. Rarely see another car never mind a person.

If I want to go on an in-state 2 - 3 hour road trip for photography purposes there is hardly any traffic on the highways early Sunday morning especially if I'm going into the Central Time Zone where it's an hour earlier.

I am planning a road trip to West Virginia and want to photograph some old downtown buildings and in an industrial park in one of the smaller cities. I made sure I am in that particular location on a Sunday. Early Sunday morning is a good time to be downtown doing outdoor building photography. No traffic. No people in the street. I can park anywhere. If I don't know where the heck I am, it's easily corrected with no traffic. Where I am going, no one lives downtown.

On the other hand, Saturday and Sunday are the worst days to be in tourist locations and at the lake in my town. Too many adults (runners, cyclists, walkers, boaters, rowing teams), children and dogs (scaring the birds).

So, Sunday is special. Saturday is nothing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or