U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-15-2016, 09:59 AM

6,310 posts, read 5,051,434 times

Advertisements

Today felt like a weekend! I stayed in bed until almost 10. Last week was a whirlwind with caregiving issues with elderly mother. We were like zombies. Yesterday I had to catch up with all the things I didn't do last week.

The weekend sucks because as I posted before, working family wants to do things and being the nice person that I am - I can't say no! LOL
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2016, 11:49 AM

4,060 posts, read 2,571,078 times
I surf everyday, or more accurately, every week day. Weekends are too crowded. So yes, I pay attention to whether it is a weekend or a week day. And I need to know whether it is trash day (Tuesday) in order to put the can out on the curb. That is about my awareness.

Old 03-15-2016, 01:04 PM

29 posts, read 22,131 times
My neighbor retired and a couple of years later she had to look at the newspaper to know what day of the week it was.

Old 03-15-2016, 02:03 PM

2,493 posts, read 2,193,822 times
I never ski on weekends.
Midweek I have hiking and biking trails pretty much to myself.
Most parties and BBQs are on weekends.
Many women I date still work so they can't sleep in midweek.
Friends and family still work so getting together is mostly on weekends.
Traffic in the mountains is crazy on weekends, so no mountain bike rides.
Friday Afternoon Club (FAC) still meets on Friday afternoon.
NFL still plays (mostly) on Sundays.

Old 03-15-2016, 08:48 PM

14,018 posts, read 17,732,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddyline View Post
I never ski on weekends.
You have added additional markers of the weekend to those I listed in my original post. It seems that for most people the outside world does remind us that it's the weekend (or remind us of what day it is) one way or another. (Trash pick-up day, NFL Sunday football, activities including shopping that we choose to do during the week, etc.) .

My volunteer work takes me to a different location each day of the three days that I am engaged in it: Tuesday, Wednesday, and Thursday. Also, I have to be there ar a different time each of the three days. So I damn well better know what day it is! That would be too much structure for some folks, but for me it's perfect; I enjoy continuign to be engaged with the outside world on that very part-time schedule.

Old 03-16-2016, 11:04 AM

7,295 posts, read 15,345,231 times
Since retirement my weekends vs weekdays have flipped - I do recreational things during the week and more chores on the weekend (except I avoid the big box stores on the weekends).

Most live music around here is Thurs-Sun, so we do go out those nights, but I generally don't eat out on Fri or Sat because I don't like sitting around even with a reservation plus the spouse has a hard time hearing in noisy restaurants so we go out to eat off hours/days.

I do have to stop and think what day it is occasionally. Every now and then I decide to go somewhere, look at the calendar, realize it is Sunday and stores are closed and think "hurry up and be Monday so I can get this task finished."

Old 03-16-2016, 11:19 AM

9,808 posts, read 5,480,764 times
We-ll, looking at things from my night shift life, Saturday and Sunday are VERY IMPORTANT to me. Why?

Because that is when the major events of my play life happen. That is when the festivals are, when the dance work shops are, when we hold camping trips, when we dance in the streets, and so forth. When I was younger, it was when the 5 and 10Ks were.

If they ever change my working schedule to where my weekend occurs during the week, then my moral will go to absolute ZERO for I will be cut off from the kind of play I know.

As a night worker, I already suffer from a degree of isolation in that so often when I am not working, others are and I have no one to associate with. I do dance in the evening but one of the situations to that is while others are winding down, I am winding up for work.

Will it be different when the big R comes around? I don't know but having a life a lot like a Playgirl, I do strive to have some sort of commitment structure in it because life without it seems devastating.

Old 03-16-2016, 04:00 PM

14,547 posts, read 17,540,572 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pekemom View Post
Thursday is trash day here too, I put out the trash Wednesday evening...it seems like every
time I turn around it's Wednesday again....
Our trash day is Thursday too, but I also have shows on TV I never miss and that's a good marker. They do change. I still haven't done a Downton Abbey binge but wanted to see all of them first. But in terms of weekends, they're just days more people are home and there's more for the doggie kids to bark at.

Old 03-18-2016, 05:12 AM

5,936 posts, read 2,888,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddyline View Post
I never ski on weekends.
This sounds similar to a lot of what we noticed, that in retirement we inversely did things to avoid crowds on weekends. Movies, camping, hiking, fishing, errands, etc. all better during the week when most people are at work.

Drinking is still mainly a weekend thing though, even when it isn't with working friends. I have no idea why, but Friday night still sounds like a good excuse for Happy Hour same as it did when we worked. Maybe an inner fear of becoming one of those worn-out looking dudes who is at the bar every day.

Old 03-18-2016, 05:30 AM

4,834 posts, read 4,949,965 times
So as a retiree, I'm beginning to dread the weekends.

Too much traffic, too much competition from the "workees" do go to a store, movie, restaurant, haircut, bar or anything.

So today is Friday. Better get my grocery shopping done this morning.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or