Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-23-2017, 01:09 PM

4,314 posts, read 3,992,995 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
just break disability off and make it part of welfare . retirement ss and survivor benefits will be fine .

crack down on the fraud and abuse in it and there will plenty of money .disability became the extension to unemployment insurance as more and more older folks got lawyers and pressed for disability rather than work or look for jobs if they could swing a hint of a reason .. .

YES !

A shame to read articles about a factory closing down and the article states that many of the laid off workers that are old enough for early SS will most likely start drawing and many of those a few years too young will opt for un-employment benefits or DISABILITY SS.

I never knew DISABILITY SS was an option for factory workers who get laid off and are too young to start drawing SS !
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2017, 05:13 PM

1,319 posts, read 1,080,023 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheShadow View Post
1/3 of the country is underage, in college, retired, on disability, or stay at home mom/dad. After you remove those folks from the math, the unemployment rate is about 5%. In my area I see "Now Hiring" signs every day and not just at fast food joints. Just yesterday I saw a big sign near the Master Craft boat factory, and another at an office set up just to hire long haul truck drivers. I see this type of help wanted ads literally every day.
All the baggers at the grocery store up the street from my home have some type of developmental disability, and one is actually blind. All these individuals could very likely obtain disability, but they choose to work because I imagine they want to feel their productivity contributes to society. It is unfortunate so many individuals that have no where near the disabilities these grocery baggers have are able to get disability, and the taxes taken out of these disabled grocery baggers pay is helping fund the disability checks received by those who are less disabled than they are.

Bottom line, there are individuals in society who just do not want to work, and they will do whatever it takes not to work.

Old 04-23-2017, 07:48 PM

25,576 posts, read 56,455,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by David A Stone View Post
A shame to read articles about a factory closing down and the article states that many of the laid off workers that are old enough for early SS will most likely start drawing and many of those a few years too young will opt for un-employment benefits or DISABILITY SS.

I never knew DISABILITY SS was an option for factory workers who get laid off and are too young to start drawing SS !
It isn't. The statistic is 67% of all applications experience at least one denial, with only 36% approval overall. Average wait time is two years.

http://www.ssdrc.com/5-72.html

Many stories on long waits for SS on this thread:

does anyone know how long ssi disability takes to get an approval ?

SSDI approvals can be very much a regional thing. The red states are notoriously bad in this area - routinely denying the most obviously disabled. Many die while waiting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightengale212 View Post
All the baggers at the grocery store up the street from my home have some type of developmental disability, and one is actually blind. All these individuals could very likely obtain disability, but they choose to work because I imagine they want to feel their productivity contributes to society. It is unfortunate so many individuals that have no where near the disabilities these grocery baggers have are able to get disability, and the taxes taken out of these disabled grocery baggers pay is helping fund the disability checks received by those who are less disabled than they are.
Chances are many of those baggers are already collecting SSDI. SSDI does allow beneficiaries to work and earn a small amount of money to supplement the benefit.

https://www.ssa.gov/pubs/EN-05-10095.pdf

Many handicapped - blind, special needs - perform paid work at business and through charitable organizations. I've had two blind neighbors, both of whom collected SSDI and worked at occupations suited to their disabilities.

Last edited by Ariadne22; 04-23-2017 at 08:04 PM..

Old 04-26-2017, 10:14 AM

2,539 posts, read 1,907,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightengale212 View Post

Bottom line, there are individuals in society who just do not want to work, and they will do whatever it takes not to work.

Why do you assume that the disabled people you see working are not also receiving disability benefits? For example, blind people can earn almost $2,000 a month without it impacting their social security disability benefits. Kudos, of course, to everyone who can work and gets out there and does it, but that doesn't mean they aren't still getting help.

Old 04-26-2017, 11:09 AM

42,838 posts, read 26,236,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LS35a View Post
20 trillion dollars in debt. 1/3 of the country has been out of work so long they're no longer counted in unemployment statistics (worse than the great depression). Corruption rampant in all areas of government.
You probably should double check that figure:
"Among the marginally attached, there were 460,000 discouraged workers in March, down by 125,000
from a year earlier. (The data are not seasonally adjusted.) Discouraged workers are persons not
currently looking for work because they believe no jobs are available for them. The remaining 1.1
million persons marginally attached to the labor force in March had not searched for work for reasons
such as school attendance or family responsibilities. (See table A-16.)"

https://www.bls.gov/news.release/pdf/empsit.pdf
Quote:
Originally Posted by LS35a View Post
49% of the population receiving government aid.
Only if you count medicare, social security, child care tax credits etc. The real number of people receiving needs based aid is around 21.3%
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement