Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-19-2016, 04:20 PM

7,840 posts, read 9,199,743 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnaLee2 View Post
It's funny to me how politicians harp on "personal responsibility" then try to get their agenda passed in such a way that they can claim somebody else wanted the agenda.
Well said!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2016, 12:04 PM

446 posts, read 709,391 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BLS2753 View Post
Anybody in their right mind understands that unilaterally shutting off SS benefits to current recipients would be a national economic, social, and political disaster. I'm not saying it can't happen, but if it does, we have arrived at the total economic collapse of the nation. SS won't be the only casualty. All income and asset classes will be affected.
I believe the total economic collapse of the nation is inevitable. And not in 'our grandchildren's time. In ours. Maybe soon.

20 trillion dollars in debt. 1/3 of the country has been out of work so long they're no longer counted in unemployment statistics (worse than the great depression). Corruption rampant in all areas of government.
49% of the population receiving government aid.

Yeah, the future is pretty bleak. Why do you think every department of the Federal government is arming itself for, planning for, and training itself for complete societal collapse? Because it's only a matter of time before it happens.

Our current system is unsustainable. Things that can't go on forever.... don't.

Old 03-20-2016, 12:59 PM

13,044 posts, read 13,865,519 times

Old 04-22-2017, 03:45 PM

27,798 posts, read 32,435,463 times
http://www.investmentnews.com/articl...-for-each-baby

Ric Edelman proposes Social Security fix: Allot $7,000 for each baby
Adviser's plan begins with the federal government setting aside money for each newborn baby for 35 years, to be invested for the child's retirement

This plan sounds suspiciously wrong for some reason. Not sure what exactly -

Old 04-22-2017, 03:59 PM

106,668 posts, read 108,833,673 times
just break disability off and make it part of welfare . retirement ss and survivor benefits will be fine .

crack down on the fraud and abuse in it and there will plenty of money .disability became the extension to unemployment insurance as more and more older folks got lawyers and pressed for disability rather than work or look for jobs if they could swing a hint of a reason .. .

Old 04-23-2017, 06:10 AM

4,149 posts, read 3,905,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
just break disability off and make it part of welfare . retirement ss and survivor benefits will be fine .

crack down on the fraud and abuse in it and there will plenty of money .disability became the extension to unemployment insurance as more and more older folks got lawyers and pressed for disability rather than work or look for jobs if they could swing a hint of a reason .. .
Great post and so true.

Old 04-23-2017, 06:12 AM

4,149 posts, read 3,905,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LS35a View Post
I believe the total economic collapse of the nation is inevitable. And not in 'our grandchildren's time. In ours. Maybe soon.

20 trillion dollars in debt. 1/3 of the country has been out of work so long they're no longer counted in unemployment statistics (worse than the great depression). Corruption rampant in all areas of government.
49% of the population receiving government aid.

Yeah, the future is pretty bleak. Why do you think every department of the Federal government is arming itself for, planning for, and training itself for complete societal collapse? Because it's only a matter of time before it happens.

Our current system is unsustainable. Things that can't go on forever.... don't.
If and it is a big if that 1/3 of the country are out of work, then it is by choice. There are jobs out there if people want to work.

Old 04-23-2017, 06:18 AM

11,128 posts, read 9,760,240 times
1/3 of the country is underage, in college, retired, on disability, or stay at home mom/dad. After you remove those folks from the math, the unemployment rate is about 5%. In my area I see "Now Hiring" signs every day and not just at fast food joints. Just yesterday I saw a big sign near the Master Craft boat factory, and another at an office set up just to hire long haul truck drivers. I see this type of help wanted ads literally every day.

Old 04-23-2017, 10:35 AM

1,251 posts, read 1,379,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post

I agree with this -- at least as a start. A couple of years ago there was a WSJ article about a judge in West Virginia who awarded 100% of the SS disability claims that came before him. Apparently he felt sorry for the poor people of WV and viewed social security as the solution to their employment problem. I believe he was removed from his position.

I believe they have made SS disability somewhat more difficult to receive now but they have also expanded it to include mental conditions such as depression and anxiety. I am not saying that serious mental conditions are NOT a cause for disability -- but it would seem that many of those diagnosis could be fradulent.

Old 04-23-2017, 12:40 PM

106,668 posts, read 108,833,673 times
Over 100 people were arrested in a disability fraud scheme in ny . It included inside people, doctors ,lawyers and those collecting. They said this is only the start .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement