U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-15-2016, 04:15 PM

197 posts, read 161,121 times

Advertisements

Plenty of grandchildren visit my community but they are younger. Under 18s can't use the gym or jacuzzis or sauna. They are allowed in the pool for very restricted hours.There is no possibility of freely just hanging out.

This may not be the case in your community. I know that if I were a teen I should hate my community. There are times that it annoys me too. There are so many rules and of course they are geared towards the needs and interests of a specific demographic.

The sales people told me various things that were different in reality.I sense that you are irritated by the repetitive comments being made but you are about to make a huge decision and I sense that responders want you to be cautious. I also sense that your mind may already be made up. What do the girls think about it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2016, 05:12 PM

3,745 posts, read 4,222,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by convextech View Post
<snip> As a potential 55+ condo owner, I am incensed that you don't seem to care about how your neighbors would feel if you brought your teenagers to live with you in a community that specifically is for ages 55 and up.

What part of that don't you get?
As a potential homeowner, it is YOUR responsibility to determine whether a particular 55+ community allows a limited number of minor children to live in the community.

ETA: Missed the more recent posts. It looks like you intend to exercise due diligence. Great!

Last edited by lenora; 03-15-2016 at 05:17 PM.. Reason: missed recent posts

Old 03-15-2016, 05:32 PM

4,003 posts, read 3,227,245 times
I think its likely that the OP doesnt understand the rules, or simply just didnt specifically ask. She is assuming. She may be right, but I doubt it.

If I moved to a 55+ development and someone moved next door with 2 teenagers, Id be pissed. Thats the whole point of a 55+ neighborhood, to get away from the rug rats.

Old 03-15-2016, 05:47 PM

14,628 posts, read 17,945,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by no kudzu View Post
GEESUS...people----- the girls were WITH US IN THE FLESH at every visit, meeting, walk about, introduced as our daughters, talking to the owners of the development, the construction supervisor, the entire sales team. The comment about the caretaker was in response to my question about the possibility of future live-in caretakers.

It amazes me how many here think of 14 year olds who will be 15 if we do this think of them as "young kids". It's not like a pair of tricycle- riding tykes throwing balls in others' yards, screaming wildly with outdoor play or generally wreaking havoc on neighbors. If we had kids like that we wouldn't even consider this.
In any event, I'm out of here.
Don't shoot the messengers here.

The bottom line is most 55+ communities restrict full time residents as young as your children. Hint - that's why they're called 55+ communities .

Perhaps the one you're looking at doesn't have restrictions like this. But - if you're buying - GET IT IN WRITING.

And don't expect your older neighbors to much appreciate your kids. Robyn

Old 03-15-2016, 07:39 PM

2,742 posts, read 728,333 times
NoKudzu doesn't want any more responses, but I will post this in case someone else wants this input.

Every community is unique to some extent. Mine may be different in that it is small (76 homes) and ranch-style condos. It was marketed as an over-55 community and I was "only" 52 at the time. They said this wasn't a problem since it was only marketed as over-55 and not actually restricted (older neighbors swear they weren't informed of this and thought they were buying into an over-55 community). A couple in their 40's bought a home since they wanted a one-level condo due to the wife's disability. Five years later they adopted an infant! There has never been a kid at one of this developer's communities (they have numerous ones), but now we have a 5 year old. He is absolutely not a problem---is always with his parents---like most kids, doesn't play outside, etc. I enjoy seeing him.

As NoKudzu pointed out, 14 year olds are not little kids. In some ways, though, they may create more disruption. 4 year olds aren't left at home a lot, but 14 and 16 year olds are. Potential for loud music, reckless driving through the neighborhood (not that my 80+ yo neighbors don't do their fair share of this!), and parties when parents are away.

NoKudzu emphasized that the potential community is upscale and progressive, which I can't say about mine---humble 1700 sf condos selling at $200,000 or less and not progressive (this is the South!), so probably not comparable. What I'd like to point out is that NoKudzu's experience in living in such a community will likely be different than anyone else's since no one else will be raising teens. So the retirement community lifestyle may not be fully realized for NK until the kids are at least in college and out of the home.

Old 03-15-2016, 08:39 PM

662 posts, read 480,019 times
I too don't see what a 55+ community would be if teenagers could live there, and I don't know why someone (besides the OP) would seek out a 55+ if kids (of any age) could live there. But please try to read past the posts angry about your plan and hear this:

As someone who has worked in real estate and seen all kinds of things happen (a horrid, horrid field with *most* of the agents/salespeople/broker-managers of a caliber that makes them, imo, incapable of working in harmony with other humans), I too would advise you get it on paper....with the specific ages of your daughters on the paper. A salesperson, builders, developers ....everyone involved wants the project to be a success (ie: for you to buy in) and verbal promises mean nothing...and the person who said them when you find yourself in trouble is conveniently gone (new job? moved? quit? or just disappeared and *no one* will help you find them).

Progressive doesn't matter. Kids standing there with every single person involved doesn't matter. They will tell you anything to get their multi-billion dollar project rocking. We're trying to protect you. Please, please (everyone) don't fall in love with a plan or real estate or home until you get everything on paper and to a lawyer and understand it.

They will *say* anything. But they will never put it in writing if it isn't true. It's a simple thing to email them (and I mean with clear CCs to several people...developer, salesperson and more so they all know it's out in the open) and say that you want clarification about your 14 year old daughters (put their ages in that email) being welcome to "live there full time" (LIVE there FULL TIME...use those words) with you. If you get no answer, you have their answer. If an answer does come, and it's flaky, that's your red flag.

Surely, this can't hurt to do. It's simple, you'll have it in writing (to several "responsible" people)...and your lawyer may one day love you for it.

Kind of a related sidebar, but this is a link from within a thread back in October:
Province residents win HOA battle - Maricopa Monitor: Local News

Old 03-15-2016, 10:33 PM

5,264 posts, read 3,027,962 times
The 20% exemption was designed to protect widows/widowers from being evicted if their legal age spouse should expire.

Many 55+ communities prohibit kids from using amenities unless you physically accompany them.

In AZ a community down the road from us failed to prevent underage people from moving in. The community lost its senior designation and will never get it back. It is going downhill from there.

Old 03-15-2016, 10:45 PM

12,973 posts, read 12,804,672 times
Again I think we are getting carried away. Normal 55+ communities are not less than a 100 homes in the forest with 2 story 3,000 SF dwellings.

This is not 1800 sf single story on a 4,000 SF lot.

House of a different color.

Nokudzu needs to make sure they do it right but the documentation provided always makes it clear. Read it and then do the right thing.

And again the experience in a normal 55+ is quite irrelevant.

Old 03-16-2016, 02:00 AM

9,777 posts, read 14,964,618 times
"Tell me about living in a 55 or older condo community."

You will have no freedom.

Old 03-16-2016, 06:53 AM

1,072 posts, read 821,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by no kudzu View Post
GEESUS...people----- the girls were WITH US IN THE FLESH at every visit, meeting, walk about, introduced as our daughters, talking to the owners of the development, the construction supervisor, the entire sales team. The comment about the caretaker was in response to my question about the possibility of future live-in caretakers.

It amazes me how many here think of 14 year olds who will be 15 if we do this think of them as "young kids". It's not like a pair of tricycle- riding tykes throwing balls in others' yards, screaming wildly with outdoor play or generally wreaking havoc on neighbors. If we had kids like that we wouldn't even consider this.
In any event, I'm out of here.
Comes in asking what it's like to live in a 55+ community. Most answers are dedicated to the 14yo children living with them.

I think you have your answer there......
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or