U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-17-2016, 01:09 PM

11,419 posts, read 20,262,801 times

Advertisements

She's not coming back and apparently already made up her mind.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2016, 04:44 PM

1,069 posts, read 818,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flamingo13 View Post
She's not coming back and apparently already made up her mind.
Does this mean we just have to wait for the "My 55+ Condo Association LIED To Me" thread?

Old 03-18-2016, 12:33 AM

11,935 posts, read 20,386,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crusinsusan View Post
Progressive doesn't matter. Kids standing there with every single person involved doesn't matter. They will tell you anything to get their multi-billion dollar project rocking. We're trying to protect you. Please, please (everyone) don't fall in love with a plan or real estate or home until you get everything on paper and to a lawyer and understand it.

They will *say* anything. But they will never put it in writing if it isn't true. It's a simple thing to email them (and I mean with clear CCs to several people...developer, salesperson and more so they all know it's out in the open) and say that you want clarification about your 14 year old daughters (put their ages in that email) being welcome to "live there full time" (LIVE there FULL TIME...use those words) with you. If you get no answer, you have their answer. If an answer does come, and it's flaky, that's your red flag.

Surely, this can't hurt to do. It's simple, you'll have it in writing (to several "responsible" people)...and your lawyer may one day love you for it.

Kind of a related sidebar, but this is a link from within a thread back in October:
Province residents win HOA battle - Maricopa Monitor: Local News
At the complex I clean, I had the luxury of telling several prospective owners that pets were not allowed. A number of them had the dogs with them. And then some of the agents would boldly lie to them in front of me...what does a janitor know?

My answer was always I know when the clients start signing contracts and receive their CC&R's and turn to the page about pets and find out you didn't bother to check, or decided to lie, that your sale will fall through, thanks to the fact our state has a three day rescission period.

Don't ever mess with a janitor....��

And now my complex allows pets. Other than ticking off long term residents who didn't want pets ever, there's been no problems.

Old 03-18-2016, 01:04 AM

1,467 posts, read 895,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallysmom View Post
At the complex I clean, I had the luxury of telling several prospective owners that pets were not allowed. A number of them had the dogs with them. And then some of the agents would boldly lie to them in front of me...what does a janitor know?

My answer was always I know when the clients start signing contracts and receive their CC&R's and turn to the page about pets and find out you didn't bother to check, or decided to lie, that your sale will fall through, thanks to the fact our state has a three day rescission period.

Don't ever mess with a janitor....��

And now my complex allows pets. Other than ticking off long term residents who didn't want pets ever, there's been no problems.

I was seriously considering buying a condo elsewhere (while my original condo was under agreement) and visited it a few times to check it out. Since I have a dog; I was determined to find a condo building that would allow him. I not only accepted the word of various residents I saw with dogs; but had I continued with the process, I would not have signed a Purchase & Sale agreement without proof in writing, i.e. the rules of the condominium association, that dogs were allowed, and all rules concerning them. As it turned out, I ended up buying another condo in the same condo complex I have lived in for many years; so my dog and I did not have far to go.

Pet owners should never buy or rent without seeing proof in writing, in the rules or the lease, that their four-legged buddies are allowed in the new home.

Old 03-19-2016, 11:27 AM

4,361 posts, read 3,698,498 times
Consider what the terms are for renting. If you can rent on a weekly basis your might have a different community than if you have to rent for 6 or 12 months.

Old 03-19-2016, 11:48 AM

4,361 posts, read 3,698,498 times
Just came across this. 50 Things to Think About Before Buying a Home in The Villages
Might be of interest in picking a community.

Old 03-19-2016, 02:15 PM

14,628 posts, read 17,927,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rjm1cc View Post
Just came across this. 50 Things to Think About Before Buying a Home in The Villages
That makes for some great reading. Although some of the issues are unique to The Villages - the largest 55+ community in Florida and (one of) the fastest growing cities in the US - many are not. Also - there are some variations on themes when it comes to other communities (like building a house near a lift station or - in our HOA - building near part of the emergency water pumping system - those pumps make a racket). It would be nice if every larger community had something similar that a prospective buyer could read. Robyn

Old 03-19-2016, 03:58 PM

7,241 posts, read 4,136,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rjm1cc View Post

Sounds like something I'd never want to be a part of.

Old 03-19-2016, 05:45 PM

30,699 posts, read 33,467,623 times
There is nothing wrong with 55+ communities, every neighborhood is only what you make of it. Some people will get involved in the community, others just see it as a house like any other and barely nod to their neighbors as they drive down the street. Both are acceptable.

NEVERTHELESS, I don't get the 10% under 55 but teen kids are ok thing either. How could that be enforced? Sorry everyone, OP brought 2 teens with her so the Joneses can't buy a place with their 3 teens because only 2 more are allowed...It seems like a problem that the sales folk don't want to deal with at this stage when selling is the top priority.
That sort of thing is a never ending issue with local real estate agents who work the area where the 55+ community my parents live in is located. At least once a year someone tries to challenge it because the houses are generally a little smaller and less expensive than the surrounding neighborhoods.

Old 03-19-2016, 06:43 PM

12,973 posts, read 12,790,321 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
There is nothing wrong with 55+ communities, every neighborhood is only what you make of it. Some people will get involved in the community, others just see it as a house like any other and barely nod to their neighbors as they drive down the street. Both are acceptable.

NEVERTHELESS, I don't get the 10% under 55 but teen kids are ok thing either. How could that be enforced? Sorry everyone, OP brought 2 teens with her so the Joneses can't buy a place with their 3 teens because only 2 more are allowed...It seems like a problem that the sales folk don't want to deal with at this stage when selling is the top priority.
That sort of thing is a never ending issue with local real estate agents who work the area where the 55+ community my parents live in is located. At least once a year someone tries to challenge it because the houses are generally a little smaller and less expensive than the surrounding neighborhoods.
The exception to the Fair Housing Act allows a community to maintain an anti family requirement if, and only if, 80% of the housing has one occupant over 55.

The standard is that they allow no children under 18 to live there. But that is not in the law so variants are possible. They can allow up to 20% of the homes to be occupied by people who are less than 55. But many of the ones I know allow only surviving spouses. In one long and dramatic example they threw out a 35 year old whose parents had passed on. She tried but could not make them give. In one case of a handicapped 16 year old the HOA refused and in fact kept them from moving in until the kid turned 19.

So the law would allow some kids...but the normal practice does not.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or