Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-14-2016, 08:34 PM

12,973 posts, read 15,793,565 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by no kudzu View Post
This is a brand new community not even under construction yet which allows 10% under 55 owners but also as long as the owners are over 55 there is no problem. We have that in writing. So far it is planned 63 units and only 5 lots are presold so the 10% under 55 would not be a problem.

We currently live in a neighborhood with 100 homes and all of their friends live elsewhere so it's not like they will be leaving lots of close friends. Believe me, this move would be as much for them as for us if not more. We all are working too hard taking care of this house and grounds when we could be spending our time and energy doing more fun things. Also I do not want to die leaving them or their older brother and sister with the incredible headache of getting rid of all the stuff we have accumulated.
We've looked at smaller places but all involve renovating and still yard work. I like the idea of brand new and most of the headaches handled by somebody else.

But I'd still like to hear from those who live in such communities.
Be careful. I have full knowledge of about 25 of these 55+ places and have sold a few hundred homes in them. I have never seen one that does not forbid children younger than 19.

And nothing in your statement says they will permit children. I would note that I believe the law would allow it - but get the teenagers are OK in writing.

I would still highly recommend against it. I would virtually guarantee a hostile environment for your children. People who go for these places often want to be rid of dealing with young kids. And some will make it very clear the children are not welcome.

I would also think the kids would find it awfully sterile. If there are any others there will be very few.

I would suggest a similar place that is not age restricted.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2016, 08:54 PM

8,268 posts, read 8,643,023 times
Quote:
This is a brand new community not even under construction yet which allows 10% under 55 owners but also as long as the owners are over 55 there is no problem. We have that in writing. So far it is planned 63 units and only 5 lots are presold so the 10% under 55 would not be a problem.

We currently live in a neighborhood with 100 homes and all of their friends live elsewhere so it's not like they will be leaving lots of close friends. Believe me, this move would be as much for them as for us if not more. We all are working too hard taking care of this house and grounds when we could be spending our time and energy doing more fun things. Also I do not want to die leaving them or their older brother and sister with the incredible headache of getting rid of all the stuff we have accumulated.
We've looked at smaller places but all involve renovating and still yard work. I like the idea of brand new and most of the headaches handled by somebody else.

You say it allows 10% under 55 owners and then say as long as the owners are over 55 there is no problem. That doesn't mean they will let a 14 year old in. When you see a percentage allowed under age it usually means under age spouses, disabled children over 19, a younger relative acting as a caregiver, and situations like that.

If they allow the kids, and I still think they won't, get ready to be treated badly by your neighbors.

Old 03-14-2016, 09:01 PM

6,624 posts, read 7,334,922 times
Quote:

The size of the community is important to life style. A large community - thousands of residents - will have a lot of activities. As very small commodity probably does not. My guess is it will be easier to build up friendships with your neighbors.

Over 55 communities - federal law - must be at least 80% owned by over 55 individuals. So your 10% could be correct. But that does not mean children can live in the complex. Get the legal documents and read them. I have talked to a lot of sales people of over 55 communities and not all of them really understand the rules.
If you go ahead have an attorney make sure you can have the children in the hone. Remember your neighbors may have moved there because they do not want to live around children.
Good luck.

Old 03-14-2016, 09:08 PM

12,973 posts, read 15,793,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rjm1cc View Post
The size of the community is important to life style. A large community - thousands of residents - will have a lot of activities. As very small commodity probably does not. My guess is it will be easier to build up friendships with your neighbors.

Over 55 communities - federal law - must be at least 80% owned by over 55 individuals. So your 10% could be correct. But that does not mean children can live in the complex. Get the legal documents and read them. I have talked to a lot of sales people of over 55 communities and not all of them really understand the rules.
If you go ahead have an attorney make sure you can have the children in the hone. Remember your neighbors may have moved there because they do not want to live around children.
Good luck.
No. If you are going to quote the laws get it right. There are no laws about who owns the property. It deals only with one member of 80% of the households must be over 55.

And note that if ever lost it is virtually impossible to recover.

Old 03-15-2016, 12:03 AM

11,181 posts, read 10,526,555 times
Quote:
Remember your neighbors may have moved there because they do not want to live around children.
Good luck.
Yes, that's the catch. Even if you slip in under a loophole that allows your daughters, be prepared for some backlash. Put yourselves in their shoes: why would someone move into a 55+ community if they want to live with teen neighbors?

Old 03-15-2016, 02:41 AM
eok

6,684 posts, read 4,247,048 times
Quote:
Over 55 communities - federal law - must be at least 80% owned by over 55 individuals.
What's the rationale behind that law? What is the government trying to accomplish by such a law? What does it mean to the federal government for a community to be "over 55"? Does it imply the federal government gives special privileges to such communities, and they have to qualify by meeting the 80% 55 restriction? What are those special privileges?

There is also an implication of conflict of interest. What if two under-55 couples want to move in, but there is only one condo left before hitting the 80% limit? Does it imply whoever makes the decision has the power to pick and choose? And might pick according to whether the couple moving in has the same religion or something, as the person doing the choosing?

Old 03-15-2016, 07:56 AM

30,488 posts, read 16,198,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eok View Post
What's the rationale behind that law? What is the government trying to accomplish by such a law? What does it mean to the federal government for a community to be "over 55"? Does it imply the federal government gives special privileges to such communities, and they have to qualify by meeting the 80% 55 restriction? What are those special privileges?

There is also an implication of conflict of interest. What if two under-55 couples want to move in, but there is only one condo left before hitting the 80% limit? Does it imply whoever makes the decision has the power to pick and choose? And might pick according to whether the couple moving in has the same religion or something, as the person doing the choosing?
Are you really trying to understand the government's logic?

silly you.

Old 03-15-2016, 07:59 AM

9,358 posts, read 14,085,892 times
nokudzu, I am excited for you taking this next step. You have said elsewhere that it is becoming difficult for you to manuver in your home, so hopefully this is a good choice for you. But with your love of gardening, will this community be beautiful enough? So hard to tell until it is built out. Can you find a smaller house and hire out the difficult chores? In any event,if you do find a great 55+ keep C-D informed. I'm in the Raleigh area as well, and might be soon behind you. Neighbors, eh?

Old 03-15-2016, 08:02 AM

16,042 posts, read 21,963,273 times
Having raised four children to adulthood, I can say from my observations that things get complicated with teens when they want to have their friends over for sleepovers and gatherings and parties at their own home, all normal for kids. Even a few kids can create parking problems (think dating when the dates come over in their cars and the kids come home late at night), noise and disruptions to neighbors who retire (go to bed) early, normal outdoor things like frisbee, etc. I cannot see normal teens or elderly condo neighbors adjusting to this easily. The rationale for you may be impressed upon them, but it's only fair to them to point out the disadvantages. There are plenty of upscale condos for all ages so why not consider those instead of a colony of elders for young kids.

Old 03-15-2016, 08:22 AM

21,884 posts, read 12,936,608 times
Unless your children -- grandchildren? -- are the owners, the "10% under 55 owners" is meaningless here. If I moved into a 55+ community and found kids or teenagers living there, I would be ticked off. Peace and quiet is kind of the whole point of such places. Some will allow an under-55 resident to live in, but only if it's the designated caregiver of a resident requiring 24/7 assistance.

Get clarification on that rule.

Last edited by otterhere; 03-15-2016 at 08:30 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement