U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-20-2016, 09:45 AM

13,190 posts, read 6,301,958 times

Advertisements

OP, yes I do count on SS because I paid in the system, but right now it's only 20% of our budget/income. The rest comes from somewhere else. I'm not old enough to collect and I will have to wait 10 more years. I have great health insurance through my husband otherwise I might have to pay out of pocket. If I don't have his insurance I will retire when I'm 60 instead of 55. That's when I have health insurance of my own. Good thing I don't have to wait.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2016, 01:30 PM

19,875 posts, read 14,217,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BugsyPal View Post
At over 200k seniors on wait lists for public or subsidized housing with an average wait of seven years it is fair to say many will die before being placed.
Then that is a choice that they make of their own Free Will.

Quote:
In the meanwhile they have no other choice but to pay rent where they are or hit the bricks.
WWND?

What would Neanderthal do?

Neanderthal
would move to a more affordable place.

You're not entitled to live in a particular city or State. If they cannot afford housing, then they need to move.

Old 03-20-2016, 01:32 PM

71,463 posts, read 71,629,249 times
Usually the problem is they have no money to relocate.

Old 03-20-2016, 02:26 PM

14,628 posts, read 17,917,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
Usually the problem is they have no money to relocate.
It honestly doesn't take much. FWIW - I've run into older people on the JAX forum who are relocating from areas like the NYC metro area because of the senior and section 8 housing available here. Units are apparently easier to get here - and more affordable. These aren't necessarily people who are entitled to/getting SS now. More than a couple are in their 50's.

Note that younger people are relocating here too. Lots of them (at least by the population standards of this area - especially the county where I live). To get away from "high priced spread" parts of the US. I'm not especially enamored of the growth/growth problems we're having as a result of this migration. But I can understand why people are doing what they're doing.

Overall - I don't think relocation money is the main issue. It's the sense of entitlement in terms of living where you have lived for a long time. IOW - I agree with Mircea. What will you do when Queens becomes the "New Brooklyn" and prices go through the roof? We have an old friend who had an apartment and a professional office in the same building in a not especially wonderful part of Manhattan (upper west side north of 95th Street IIRC). When her building went condo - and she couldn't afford to buy - first she got rid of one of the units (forget which one) and lived and worked in one unit. Then - when she retired (about the time her husband died) - she moved out of NYC altogether (to her weekend place in Woodstock IIRC - which she bought for peanuts many decades ago). You live where you can afford to live. End of story.

Keep in mind that you get the same SS no matter where you live in the US.* A dollar in X place will buy a lot more than a dollar in Y place. Robyn

*Some New York politicians tried to argue in favor of COL variations when it came to SS a while back. That proposal didn't even get off the starting blocks.

Old 03-20-2016, 04:35 PM

13,872 posts, read 7,381,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robyn55 View Post
It honestly doesn't take much. FWIW - I've run into older people on the JAX forum who are relocating from areas like the NYC metro area because of the senior and section 8 housing available here. Units are apparently easier to get here - and more affordable. These aren't necessarily people who are entitled to/getting SS now. More than a couple are in their 50's.

Note that younger people are relocating here too. Lots of them (at least by the population standards of this area - especially the county where I live). To get away from "high priced spread" parts of the US. I'm not especially enamored of the growth/growth problems we're having as a result of this migration. But I can understand why people are doing what they're doing.

Overall - I don't think relocation money is the main issue. It's the sense of entitlement in terms of living where you have lived for a long time. IOW - I agree with Mircea. What will you do when Queens becomes the "New Brooklyn" and prices go through the roof? We have an old friend who had an apartment and a professional office in the same building in a not especially wonderful part of Manhattan (upper west side north of 95th Street IIRC). When her building went condo - and she couldn't afford to buy - first she got rid of one of the units (forget which one) and lived and worked in one unit. Then - when she retired (about the time her husband died) - she moved out of NYC altogether (to her weekend place in Woodstock IIRC - which she bought for peanuts many decades ago). You live where you can afford to live. End of story.

Keep in mind that you get the same SS no matter where you live in the US.* A dollar in X place will buy a lot more than a dollar in Y place. Robyn

*Some New York politicians tried to argue in favor of COL variations when it came to SS a while back. That proposal didn't even get off the starting blocks.
I don't think anyone is entitled to live their whole lives where they're from. I certainly couldn't. The local economy has always been awful and I lived my entire adult life "away" where I could earn a good high tech living. I didn't expect the government to create a job for me. I moved.

mathjack writes all the time about NYC tri-staters who use their paid-for expensive suburban home as their retirement nest egg. I know lots of metro-Boston people who have done the same thing.

An awful lot of people are going to have no choice but to move out of the expensive northeast to cheap manufactured housing in the south. I know a bunch of people from my home town who bought in Fort Myers at the real estate crash and retired. 5 years ago, you could buy an almost new 3 or 4 bedroom with a screened in pool in a nice neighborhood for sub-$100K.

Old 03-20-2016, 05:01 PM

30,670 posts, read 49,416,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mircea View Post
... WWND?

Neanderthal
would move to a more affordable place.

You're not entitled to live in a particular city or State. If they cannot afford housing, then they need to move.
A lot of discussions among retirees centers on places to relocate to with lower COL.

We relocated based largely on low COL.

Old 03-20-2016, 05:10 PM

7,227 posts, read 4,119,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Submariner View Post
A lot of discussions among retirees centers on places to relocate to with lower COL.

We relocated based largely on low COL.

I think most people who move in retirement do so for warmer weather. We certainly did. Other factors for us were Second Amendment friendly, no helmet laws, relatively homogeneous population and nearby military base. COL wasn't much of a consideration because the important factors pretty much ruled out those areas. Hospitals were not a consideration and mass transit was a negative.

Last edited by AlaskaErik; 03-20-2016 at 05:34 PM..

Old 03-20-2016, 05:39 PM

9,743 posts, read 7,022,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slyfox2 View Post
Debt is an important factor. I have none, and the house is fully paid for. But having no debt was a real pain when I was applying for college loans. Those are geared to put you in debt if you aren't already in debt.
Yup, it'd be a pain in the neck if all that were not behind us. Our college days are long behind us ( although at the time it was work and pay as you go, so very little debt accumulated), we are living in the last house we ever intend to buy, and any major house maintenance or repair, or any new vehicles will be paid in cash. The intention really is to remain debt free. We do have credit cards, but the balances on those, when we use them, are paid off monthly.

Old 03-20-2016, 06:27 PM

20,707 posts, read 13,720,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mircea View Post
Then that is a choice that they make of their own Free Will.

WWND?

Neanderthal would move to a more affordable place.

Have never heard of death at least outside of suicide being of one's own free will.

It isn't easy for someone who has lived in an area for thirty, forty or whatever years if not all their lives just to pack up and move. Everything that they know from doctors to friends/family are *HERE*, so you want them to move to a strange state/area at 60 or 70 years of age and start over? True some do so and make that transition happily. Others not so much.

Next what makes you and others think many of these affected seniors are going to find housing they can afford elsewhere? More importantly areas that offer the same protections via local and state laws as found in NY? In case you missed it a 97 year old was facing eviction in CA from a home she had been in most of her adult life. That wouldn't happen in NYC.

Old 03-20-2016, 07:05 PM

20,707 posts, read 13,720,547 times
Quote:
Actually IIRC illegal aliens contribute vast sums in payroll taxes (FICA) that fund SS and Medicare that they never will claim on average. This is mainly via using false/fraudulent SS #'s.

Poor and unskilled persons who arrive in the USA legally such as via asylum are not normally eligible for Social Security but they can (depending upon circumstances) get Supplemental Security, however the latter's funds come out of government general revenue, not the SS "trust fund". All those Cubans who wash up or otherwise arrive on US soil in some circumstances get Supplemental Security.

Here is something else I bet many didn't know...

If someone is working here illegally but happens to have a valid SSN (came here say on a visa and never left for example), if they qualify for SS benefits they can leave the USA and still have those payments forwarded.

Something else: under Obama's "deferred action" illegals would be able to claim SS credit/benefits for *all* employment in USA both legal or not. Memo: Illegal Aliens Can Collect Social Security Benefits Even If They Might Have Used Fraudulent Numbers
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or