U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-20-2016, 07:23 PM

1,454 posts, read 1,155,024 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BugsyPal View Post
Here is something else I bet many didn't know...

If someone is working here illegally but happens to have a valid SSN (came here say on a visa and never left for example), if they qualify for SS benefits they can leave the USA and still have those payments forwarded.

Something else: under Obama's "deferred action" illegals would be able to claim SS credit/benefits for *all* employment in USA both legal or not. Memo: Illegal Aliens Can Collect Social Security Benefits Even If They Might Have Used Fraudulent Numbers
According to snopes, this is mostly false

Illegal Immigrant Amnesty Bonuses : snopes.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2016, 11:54 PM

33,046 posts, read 22,057,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
I don't think anyone is entitled to live their whole lives where they're from. I certainly couldn't. The local economy has always been awful and I lived my entire adult life "away" where I could earn a good high tech living. I didn't expect the government to create a job for me. I moved.

mathjack writes all the time about NYC tri-staters who use their paid-for expensive suburban home as their retirement nest egg. I know lots of metro-Boston people who have done the same thing.

An awful lot of people are going to have no choice but to move out of the expensive northeast to cheap manufactured housing in the south. I know a bunch of people from my home town who bought in Fort Myers at the real estate crash and retired. 5 years ago, you could buy an almost new 3 or 4 bedroom with a screened in pool in a nice neighborhood for sub-$100K.

California homeowners believe they're entitled - that's why they voted for Proposition 13. Turned out to be self-fulfilling.

Old 03-21-2016, 12:42 AM

13,227 posts, read 6,331,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
California homeowners believe they're entitled - that's why they voted for Proposition 13. Turned out to be self-fulfilling.
Why are you complain about Prop 13? He just meant go where the jobs are. Very simple. There is no need to get stuck in one place just because you were raised or born there.

Old 03-21-2016, 01:15 AM

26,589 posts, read 52,294,382 times
Quote:
No... California property owners grew tired of double digit property tax increases along with fraud in the way assessed values were calculated with those of influence receiving sweetheart deals... so much so it resulted in prison terms and suicide...

Volumes of Property Tax code was relaced by a few simple and short paragraphs called Prop 13.

One more thing to remember... there were a lot more people than just homeowners that voted to make Prop 13 law...

Old 03-21-2016, 01:22 AM

14,018 posts, read 17,737,509 times
Quote:
I don't understand the "self-fulfilling" part. Care to explain?

Prop 13 is great, especially for seniors, who are guaranteed small, reasonable increases in property taxes as they age.

There is no cause to be jealous or resentful about the reasonable property taxes in California because we have high sales taxes and high personal income taxes. Therefore our property taxes are the saving grace in our tax picture. A number of other states have equally high sales taxes, but high it high. No other state has as high a maximum rate for income taxes, but the high rates apply to the well-to-do so that people with modest incomes pay no more state income tax than in a number of other states.

Old 03-21-2016, 06:50 AM

14,628 posts, read 17,929,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
...An awful lot of people are going to have no choice but to move out of the expensive northeast to cheap manufactured housing in the south. I know a bunch of people from my home town who bought in Fort Myers at the real estate crash and retired. 5 years ago, you could buy an almost new 3 or 4 bedroom with a screened in pool in a nice neighborhood for sub-$100K.
It's not all "cheap manufactured housing". There's something for everyone - from very cheap to very expensive.

There were some parts of Florida that got really creamed price-wise post-2008. Lots and lots of foreclosures. Some people who got in "at the bottom" got some excellent deals. Robyn

Old 03-21-2016, 07:19 AM
eok

6,684 posts, read 3,170,983 times
If someone moves from NYC to Louisville, KY, they can live nicely on SS alone. NYC salaries are high enough that their monthly SS is likely to be plenty to pay all the costs of living in Louisville. It's a city, with plenty of city stuff, including good medical care, entertainment, shopping, etc. But it's not a big expensive city like NYC. Almost everything is much lower cost. For example you can buy a gallon of milk for $1.49. How much is it in NYC? Condo prices in reasonably nice neighborhoods start around $39,000. Or if you want a condo with a view in a 10 story building, it's more like $100,000, for a small one, which is still a lot cheaper than big cities. You can even get your car fixed cheaper. The whole economy is cheaper. People don't expect as much money, so they don't charge as much.

If SS is your only income, it's very important to you. But it's also important to live where the cost of living is lower than your SS. You have to be saving for future emergencies. You can only do that if your income exceeds your outgo.

Old 03-21-2016, 07:32 AM

29,779 posts, read 34,867,277 times
What I find interesting in the continuing discussion about the livability of just SS benefits or how much income in retirement is necessary is that so many are talking about other nameless people and not themselves. I wonder how many would actually find some of the suggested amounts livable or desirable for themselves?

Old 03-21-2016, 08:28 AM

30,682 posts, read 49,449,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eok View Post
If someone moves from NYC to Louisville, KY, they can live nicely on SS alone. NYC salaries are high enough that their monthly SS is likely to be plenty to pay all the costs of living in Louisville. It's a city, with plenty of city stuff, including good medical care, entertainment, shopping, etc. But it's not a big expensive city like NYC. Almost everything is much lower cost. For example you can buy a gallon of milk for $1.49. How much is it in NYC? Condo prices in reasonably nice neighborhoods start around $39,000. Or if you want a condo with a view in a 10 story building, it's more like $100,000, for a small one, which is still a lot cheaper than big cities. You can even get your car fixed cheaper. The whole economy is cheaper. People don't expect as much money, so they don't charge as much.

If SS is your only income, it's very important to you. But it's also important to live where the cost of living is lower than your SS. You have to be saving for future emergencies. You can only do that if your income exceeds your outgo.
Most people can live on SS alone, if they live in a low cost area.

Old 03-21-2016, 12:02 PM

15,734 posts, read 9,251,350 times
Quote:
Prop 13 was about more than property taxes, and had nothing to do with being a homeowner.

And what's so wrong about wanting relief from taxes? If you own your home, you shouldn't be at risk of losing it just because your state can't keep spending under control and decides to make homeowners pay more and more and more because they can.

And before you jump in with "what about renters"? What about them?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or