U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-22-2016, 06:30 PM

13,891 posts, read 7,395,585 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robyn55 View Post
On my part - I have never looked at any house/condo that I've owned as an investment. It's a consumption/lifestyle thing.
Yep. My house is a consumption/lifestyle thing, not an investment at all. I need to feel good about where I live. It's how I'm wired.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2016, 06:38 PM

29,775 posts, read 34,860,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
Yep. My house is a consumption/lifestyle thing, not an investment at all. I need to feel good about where I live. It's how I'm wired.
Bada Bing, I hear that!

Old 03-22-2016, 06:39 PM

20,740 posts, read 13,741,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post

Only reason to purchase a home is the same as it has always been; a place to live in and if that is your thing; raise a family. Oh and there is also that bit which as been a lure to the United States for many ever since the Mayflower arrived; a chance to own property. Everything else that comes is gravy.

Old 03-22-2016, 06:45 PM

2,443 posts, read 2,070,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BugsyPal View Post
Only reason to purchase a home is the same as it has always been; a place to live in and if that is your thing; raise a family. Oh and there is also that bit which as been a lure to the United States for many ever since the Mayflower arrived; a chance to own property. Everything else that comes is gravy.
I agree 100%

Old 03-22-2016, 07:33 PM

30,680 posts, read 49,437,227 times
Quote:
well, yes and no.

I am now in the fifth home that I have owned. My first four homes were each income properties. For each of those four properties, I paid the 'closing costs' of buying them. Each of them had tenants that paid rent. The rent receipts covered the mortgage, insurance, property taxes, water, sewer, repairs and maintenance. None of my salary income ever went into any of those mortgages. We even made principal-only payments most months. Each of those four properties provided me with tax sheltering for my salary income. Each of them built equity that I was able to later extract and use to purchase the farm where I live today.

Old 03-22-2016, 08:00 PM

20,740 posts, read 13,741,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Submariner View Post
well, yes and no.

I am now in the fifth home that I have owned. My first four homes were each income properties. For each of those four properties, I paid the 'closing costs' of buying them. Each of them had tenants that paid rent. The rent receipts covered the mortgage, insurance, property taxes, water, sewer, repairs and maintenance. None of my salary income ever went into any of those mortgages. We even made principal-only payments most months. Each of those four properties provided me with tax sheltering for my salary income. Each of them built equity that I was able to later extract and use to purchase the farm where I live today.

You are playing a different game than the average Joe just wanting a roof over his head for himself and family. If it works for you great; Lord knows plenty have gone down that route. However when it does not work, it *REALLY* does not work and people end up in a world of trouble. Buying a home as in income/investment property in whole or part is not like purchasing a primary residence. At least here in NYC banks look at your finances entirely differently if you intend to use rental income to cover mortgage payments.

Basis of the scheme rests upon finding a tenant or tenants willing to pay rent desired so your numbers are covered.

Old 03-22-2016, 09:59 PM

2,294 posts, read 1,560,184 times
Quote:
Yep!!

Old 03-22-2016, 10:18 PM

30,680 posts, read 49,437,227 times
Quote:
You are playing a different game than the average Joe just wanting a roof over his head for himself and family....

... Basis of the scheme rests upon finding a tenant or tenants willing to pay rent desired so your numbers are covered.
There are always people who want to rent.

But I was just responding to your:
"Only reason to purchase a home is the same as it has always been; a place to live in"

I have owned four homes where I did not make a down payment, and where my salary did not go into mortgage payments.

Old 03-23-2016, 12:05 AM

33,046 posts, read 22,048,755 times
Quote:
well, yes and no.

Is this a great country or what? Renting is for suckers who enjoy paying someone else's mortgage.

Old 03-23-2016, 12:07 AM

33,046 posts, read 22,048,755 times
Quote:
There are always people who want to rent.

But I was just responding to your:
"Only reason to purchase a home is the same as it has always been; a place to live in"

I have owned four homes where I did not make a down payment, and where my salary did not go into mortgage payments.

Where do I sign up?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or