U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-24-2016, 07:29 AM

14,628 posts, read 17,929,938 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BugsyPal View Post
Back in the day LL's often didn't care if RS tenants made "improvements" to their apartments. Heck it was saving them money if a tenant spent their own to put in new kitchens or whatever. With the over heated RS market in NYC now that has all changed.

Per RS leases it has always been a violation of same to do such things without the express and written consent of LL, but as one said they often looked the other way; not any more. Tenants have been hauled into court and lost their apartments for doing such work. 74-Year-Old Couch Surfing After Eviction From Rent-Stabilized Apartment: Gothamist
Interesting. IOW - a landlord can sit back and do nothing - or next to nothing - in terms of maintenance/upgrades and then kick the tenant out if he/she does them him/herself. Living like that would drive me nuts. Robyn
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2016, 07:34 AM

71,559 posts, read 71,730,589 times
that is an issue in housing court today . unethical landlords know just how far they can push things and still have the laws on their side .

we offered lease buy outs to get the tenants out . we paid 100k for many years . now we offer only 50k but we may end up taking that off the table and the two remaining tenants missed the offer .

appreciation in manhattan has been good , we sold enough apartments off to meet all our retirement needs so the two remaining apartments have no urgency for us to sell them . i can't invest the money after taxes and get that same return or better today .

Old 03-24-2016, 07:40 AM

2,202 posts, read 1,584,381 times
I have never counted on SS being there for me (us). So now if we do ever get it, it will be frosting...

Old 03-24-2016, 09:21 AM

26,589 posts, read 52,294,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robyn55 View Post
Interesting. IOW - a landlord can sit back and do nothing - or next to nothing - in terms of maintenance/upgrades and then kick the tenant out if he/she does them him/herself. Living like that would drive me nuts. Robyn
It was standard operating practice for many and the way Triple Net Leases function today...

The Landlord's contribution is the capital and whatever is necessary to make the rental attractive enough for someone to commit to lease it.

As mentioned... I worked in Europe and there are some nice older apartments where friends lived in Vienna...

Call the Landlord if the roof leaks... otherwise everything with the unit inside is on the tenant.

This is why Ikea is so popular... all the renters have to furnish or buy from the past tenant complete kitchens, hardwood floors... etc.

Most of my friends are Med Students and each had to buy or install their kitchens...

In some ways the rules here in my city are much more extreme than there.

Old 03-24-2016, 09:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seafood Junky View Post
I have never counted on SS being there for me (us). So now if we do ever get it, it will be frosting...
Pretty much what I was being told too...

I knew very educated people that said they will never see a nickle and this was in the 1980's...

It is not like the subject is a new discovery.

Old 03-24-2016, 11:10 AM

33,046 posts, read 22,057,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultrarunner View Post
I have zero tolerance for stocks... just a character flaw.

Providing rental housing is a job... with all the entails... there are times when it is very busy and slack times...

You left out the "r".

Old 03-24-2016, 11:26 AM

7,253 posts, read 4,139,840 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seafood Junky View Post

That's how I planned for my retirement. SS was never part of the equation. I won't even apply for it until FRA because I have absolutely no need for it at this time. And even then, like you said, it'll just be frosting.

Old 03-24-2016, 11:28 AM

5,628 posts, read 4,223,374 times
counting on it, YES
Depending on it.. hope not.

Between my wife and me, we should have enough in our 401k plans to keep us comfortable for many many years but To be honest, I am a hint more confident that I will have my SS than I am my 401k... at least I am more confident that my SS will be stable where as my 401k could be anywhere..

The house is paid for so worst case scenario we eek by on SS alone..
best case, we are world travlers.. pissin' $ away left and right!

I suspect we will fall somewhere in between!

Old 03-24-2016, 11:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
You left out the "r".
With all that entails...

Darn Spell Check...

Old 03-24-2016, 01:54 PM

11,319 posts, read 22,484,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by westender View Post
My property taxes on the house (which I currently rent out) in Connecticut are above 18k now. That's 1500 per month. More than a mortgage payment.
This just blows my mind. Here in the Atlanta metro, mine are only around $2700/year. My house isn't huge, but it's a not-bad 4BR on almost 1/2 acre.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or