U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-27-2016, 06:30 AM

14,628 posts, read 17,935,948 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultrarunner View Post
Only 3 ways for taxes to go up in California after the baseline is established.

Inflation adjustment which is limited at 2% annually

Voter Approved Assessments... this is the wild card!

New Construction as in additions/remodels...

The interesting thing about taxes is the part about Voter Approved Assessments... for most things this requires a 2/3 vote... to build a new school requires 55% voter approval

I live in the city so my tax rate is around 1.7% and voters are generous when it comes to new taxes even if the voter is a renter... because we also have rent control and just cause eviction statute.

The same home a few minutes away in the county would be about 1.2%... and if this were to be Castro Valley... you couldn't tell the difference or know you were not in a city... sidewalks, downtown, library, nice schools... etc.

If an when I move... it will by county for sure... less restrictions and less taxes!

My assessment was way over value and this is why I won my appeals and that took years to do... simply no reason for the county to expedite...

In today's market my home might sell for the assessed value... +/- 5%... remember I bought in 2003.

I'm also looking at some significant expenses... I have a true Shake Roof... these have been outlawed after the Oakland Fire storm... so even though my home is 1725 square feet plus the garage... the entire roof would need to be stripped, new underlayment and then an approved roof that meets HOA standards... about 25k right there...

Everytime I hear about cheap California Property Taxes I can't help but respond...
That is pretty much the way things work in Florida too. Except for the 2% (here it's CPI up to a max of 3%).

Raising the millage rate would normally be something that County Commissioners - not voters - would do (at least in the unincorporated part of the county where I live). Although I suppose that changes like that - or similar - could wind up on a ballot. Our county is "tea party" country - and our Commissioners are very allergic to raising taxes. We have a shortfall in our education budget. And - rather than even talk about raising the millage rate - our Commissioners opted to have voters decide on an extra half penny in sales tax (we were at the state minimum - 6%). That sales tax increase passed - but very narrowly - last year (I think part of the reason it passed is most people here already did a lot of their shopping in JAX - which has a 7% sales tax).

We also have roof issues in Florida. Because of changes in our (windstorm) building code. So - when people have to replace their roofs - it's a fair amount more expensive than it used to be. Robyn
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2016, 08:19 AM

282 posts, read 306,111 times
As many have posted in this topic, the middle class is getting killed. Those with lower income get benefits paid by guess who??? the middle class. The middle class may be earning and saving for themselves (successful), but it gets wiped out. I have heard examples of a family of 4 (two children) earning $50k a year is no better off then the same family not working by collecting all the govt benefits (taxpayer funded - middle class). One group works, the other collects. These are not rich people, just middle class.

And social security "retirement" is slanted toward the lower earners. They get a higher percentage of what they paid in compared to those who earned and paid in a higher dollar amount. i.e. if you pay in twice as much, your benefit is nowhere near double.

Old 03-27-2016, 08:22 AM

71,651 posts, read 71,801,099 times
social security which is funded by folks who worked their entire lives is running out of money , while welfare for those who don't work never runs out of money .

you gotta love this stuff

Old 03-27-2016, 08:23 AM

13,047 posts, read 10,445,912 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
I don't think it will go away but there is nothing to stop Congress from passing a law that abolishes Social Security and the next President signing it into law.
Pitchforks. Riots with pitchforks.

Old 03-27-2016, 01:32 PM

26,591 posts, read 52,323,935 times
I've been called a peasant with a Pitchfork while protesting at the Sacramento State Capital.

No Pitchforks, thousands of protesters and not so much as a gum wrapper on the ground.

But I guess the peasant part is right.

Old 03-27-2016, 10:22 PM

2,296 posts, read 1,562,467 times
Quote:
Yes... I live in the one of the most dangerous cities in the entire United States... often called ground zero... always in the top 5 for as long as I can remember.

I've hosted a lot of exchange students and colleagues from Austria/Bavaria...

Some have taken martial arts classes before coming to stay with me in Oakland... some are very afraid if not concerned.

When they get here... they want to know to know where are the bad parts??? I tell them my zip code is the bad part... they simply can't believe it.

As far as getting around... they love hangin out down by the lake and uptown...

It been 25 years of visitors and to a single one... they simply don't understand the hype... or the worst in American is far better than other places they have been...

Just to balance the scales... I wish their San Francisco experiences were as uneventful as Oakland...

Two smash and grabs from parked cars, a pickpocket at Fisherman's Wharf and several genuinely afraid at aggressive panhandling... again SF and not in Oakland.
Uptown isn't bad. One of our employees was shot and killed a few years ago downtown and a few were robbed. Of course Lake Merritt is fairly safe. I wouldn't consider Lake Marritt really East Oakland or West Oakland, which in much of those areas are very crime-ridden. Let's not fool ourselves. You know which areas I'm talking about.

Old 03-27-2016, 11:05 PM

^^^ You made my point... there is no one Oakland.

I live in Deep East Oakland not far from the San Leandro Border...

My neighbors are great... we look out for each other... I would say amongst our street... at least one neighbor has a key to another's home so that they are all covered... I was out of town and lady walking her dog noticed water running out of the garage... she knocked on doors and the retired lady called the person across from me that has my key... he came home from work and turned off my water... a pipe sprung a leak.

We did have some concern last year... a home was broken into through a window... no vehicles... all on foot.

We had a block meeting and before the night was over... each and every house on the street put $100 ea into a fund to for covert video... each vehicle is taped coming and going and OPD have asked to see footage twice.

If you have good neighbors that is more than half the batter... if you don't... might as well give up or start fortifying...

My first home and one I still own is on 90th and B street just below East 14th...

Old 03-28-2016, 10:27 AM

This morning the newspaper ran a story about a Alameda County Supervisor that could retire today on 500k per year...

Simply amazing... who knew being a civil servant paid so well... over 10k per week!

Old 03-28-2016, 10:30 AM

13,237 posts, read 6,340,776 times
Quote:
This morning the newspaper ran a story about a Alameda County Supervisor that could retire today on 500k per year...

Simply amazing... who knew being a civil servant paid so well... over 10k per week!
They know how to milk the people of California.

Old 03-28-2016, 10:36 AM

13,047 posts, read 10,445,912 times
Quote:

I'm in favor of the death penalty for such people.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or