Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-21-2016, 04:33 PM
eok

6,684 posts, read 4,251,442 times

Advertisements

Most low cost places aren't so nice. Long distance to quality medical care. Long distance to shopping such as Costco or a moderately big mall. Long distance to the kind of entertainment you find in big cities. And if you're in a small town, you have a reputation of being an outsider, which can be a big disadvantage to you in a lot of situations.

That's why I mentioned Louisville, KY. It's big enough to not have the problems of small towns, but small enough to not have the costs and problems of the biggest cities. And it's in reasonable driving distance of half the population of the USA. Plus the weather is a reasonable compromise between the long hot humid summers of the south vs the long cold winters of the north. Louisville does have hot and cold weather, but it doesn't last as long. There are more nice days per year than most other low cost cities.

If you decide to move to a small town from a big city, make sure you're aware of the problems small towns have for seniors from big cities. Louisville seems like the perfect compromise, to avoid small town problems but get away from the costs and problems of big cities. You could try Indianapolis, but it has a reputation of having a lot of violent crime. Atlanta is way too big, crowded, congested and hot. Nashville is more expensive than Louisville, and Tennessee charges sales tax on food, which can impact your budget if you're living on a shoe string. (Shoe string = SS).

One advantage Louisville has over Florida beach cities is that it's a lot more likely to survive the disasters likely to come from global warming. Such as sea level rise. Louisville is around 400 feet above sea level, and hundreds of miles inland. It may seem like a silly concern now, but in the future, when cities like Miami and Tampa are under water, people will be thinking very differently. Real estate in Louisville is likely to go up, because of all the people moving there to get away from the ocean, when that time comes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2016, 04:59 PM

31,909 posts, read 26,979,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Submariner View Post
I a high COL area like NYC, I bet those seniors qualify for a bunch of subsidies. So their <$1k/month income feels like a lot more.

You people keep saying that but evidence on the street is rather different. Aging in New York: City Wrestles with Poverty Among Seniors | City Limits

http://www.capitalnewyork.com/articl...freeze-program

The senior housing crisis | POLITICO

Yes, various types of bennies do exist for "poor" seniors ranging from Meals On Wheels to rent freezes. Much of it varies and the senior in question either needs to be proactive themselves and or have someone who will do so on their behalf in obtaining much of it. Even then it is very scattered uneven.

First there are the income requirements which can mean you have to be pretty near destitute to get some forms of aid.

Then there is the fact it seems what is given with one hand is taken away with the other. That is a senior may get some sort of rental/housing assistance but their medical/health needs eat up those savings.

Old 03-21-2016, 05:35 PM

17,216 posts, read 57,078,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Submariner View Post
Most people who are smart enough to be a Nuke in the Navy can live on SS alone, if they live in a low cost area.
Fixed that for ya.

You probably underestimate how well you have adapted to the location you have picked out.

Old 03-21-2016, 06:51 PM

28,115 posts, read 63,672,505 times
I live around a lot of older homeowners in my little corner of the SF Bay Area who manage quite well with Social Security and a little Interest Income.

Everything they have was long ago paid for... they may live in a 700k home and one month's Social Security is enough to cover Property Tax thanks to Prop 13... an old low mileage car... $75 a month for Gas and Electric and another $75 for water... that 2k Social Security makes it all work.

Old 03-21-2016, 07:02 PM

13,005 posts, read 18,908,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrkliny View Post
Sure since you live in an economically depressed area it sounds funny. If your friends, family and roots were in the Maryland suburbs of DC instead of living in Baltimore you might understand. Even in retirement it takes an above average income just to get by.
Last time I checked, Baltimore was only 70 km from Washington. True, the former doesn't have the good government jobs, but certainly within commuting distance.

Old 03-21-2016, 08:02 PM

33,016 posts, read 27,458,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultrarunner View Post
I live around a lot of older homeowners in my little corner of the SF Bay Area who manage quite well with Social Security and a little Interest Income.

Everything they have was long ago paid for... they may live in a 700k home and one month's Social Security is enough to cover Property Tax thanks to Prop 13... an old low mileage car... $75 a month for Gas and Electric and another $75 for water... that 2k Social Security makes it all work.

Renting is where you pay forever and ever and ever, rent without end, amen.

Renting is where you pay over and over and over for what the homeowner pays once.

Old 03-21-2016, 08:28 PM

28,115 posts, read 63,672,505 times
Yes... and I can show you a dozen people professionals I work with that prefer renting... as crazy as it sounds.

One of our medical technicians has lived all around the country... with each promotion comes a move... he always rents and said the last thing he would ever do is to be tied down for a house.

I come from peasant farmer stock and owning is everything...

All I can say is housing providers need tenants!

Old 03-21-2016, 09:10 PM

31,909 posts, read 26,979,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post

Renting is where you pay over and over and over for what the homeowner pays once.

Depending upon where one lives and a few other circumstances renting is *NOT* a bad thing.

Here in NYC you have persons who have been renters all their lives including living in rent controlled apartments. Their rents are so below market rate that even in the best possible situation (someone giving them an apartment free or nearly), they are better off where they are. However a good subset of these persons saved/invested and also own property elsewhere such as country house, condo in Florida, etc.... In short they planned wisely.

Study after study has shown the S&P 500 has out performed homeownership as an investment, and has been so for decades.

Now if you live in a very low cost area where owing a home/property is rather inexpensive, *and* you plan on remaining for enough time to let that investment grow, then yes owning your own place is the better option.

Old 03-21-2016, 10:53 PM

2,560 posts, read 2,302,327 times
Quote:

I've rented my whole life. It's allowed me to live without worrying about maintenance and also to invest the difference. Each to his own. It's allowed me to retire, and have financial freedom. I'm way ahead of where I'd have been if I'd have purchased a home. The homeowner pays a great deal of money to the ability to live in the house. The renter rents. You can't blame your situation on renting. I've rented and I"m retired, and well, pretty well off.

Old 03-22-2016, 03:50 AM

106,673 posts, read 108,833,673 times
Quote:

homeowner pays once ? ha ha ha ha . taxes here are way more then many original mortgages were .

what about all the costs of a home? the 35k home we had in the 1970's only sees a 300 a month difference with a paid off mortgage since taxes , utility's ,maintenance and insurance are many many many times more then that mortgage was .
in short , renting an apartment is cheaper then supporting that home with a paid off mortgage
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement