U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-16-2016, 10:30 AM

14,373 posts, read 7,916,313 times

Advertisements

I really loved where I worked but hated the job if you can understand that. It was like going to Mayberry every day. Everyone in the tiny hospital knew me and we were like one big happy family. Who wouldn't want to work in a place where you are so loved and respected?

I hated the job because it was physically demanding, emotionally draining, and depressing. There were very few days where I felt happy doing what I had to do.

Just like everything else, things change. We got a new manager with new ideas and it became a way different place to work. I retired a year and a half before I wanted to well, because I could.

It's been nearly 8 months since I've worked and nearly three years since John has retired.

The plus side: The free time is amazing. We can go wherever we want, whenever we want. I can work on projects at my leisure. We are even more physically active then we were when we were working and have more time to ice skate, roller skate, skiing, and biking. I actually spent ten hours riding my bike one week. I'm still fighting my sugar addiction but it's way easier here at home then it was at work. I am able to spend way more time with my friends, and I missed a lot of fun being a workaholic. I also have way more time for the shorties in my life and they are a constant source of joy. I'm over worrying about not having enough money. We truly are fine and we can still maintain the same lifestyle we had when I was working. This is huge for me. The peace I feel now was something I never had when I was working. I was wound so tight that it just became the norm.

The minus side: I was bored for one weekend this winter and spent the whole time on the sofa in front of the TV. I do miss the high of the big paychecks but it's not worth going back to work for. I also miss my coworkers, but evidently not enough to go back for a visit yet.

Hmmm looks like my plus list is larger then my minus list. I think retiring early may very well be the best thing I ever did
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2016, 10:57 AM

1,451 posts, read 1,153,447 times
I have been in retirement for a bit over 4 months. I still enjoyed my work when I called it quit. It was not an easy decision so I expect to have some lingering regrets for ending my professional career a while.

So it is clear that the most negative thing about my retirement is a sense of nostalgia for my scientific/technical vocation especially when I was chucking piles of my college notes/textbooks, volumes of technical journals, publications, stacks of awards etc... to the dumpsters.

Yes, I miss the 'game' a little bit. I also miss quite a few of my former colleagues. I still retain friendships with a number of them but the one-on-one relationship is not the same as working in a team. This does not mean I want to go back to work even in part-time capacity as a consultant. When I accepted the early retirement voluntary separation offer, I had weighed all the pros and cons and decided to close this working chapter of my life for good.

I have been very busy with many projects at home. I have many hobbies and interests and always feel that there is not enough time in the day to do both 'have-to and want-to' things. I can honestly say that I have never been bored ever in my life.

Of course, there are many positive things in my retirement. The most positive thing is spending more time with my husband and the dog. Some retirees had reported problems with adjusting to the 24/7 togetherness with their spouses. For us, the last 4 months seemed like another 'honeymoon'. We enjoy doing things together be it doing yard work, fixing things around the house, embarking on downsizing tasks, preserving/restoring family memories (digitizing old films, videos, tapes, pictures etc.), taking the daily 2-5 miles hike with the dog, watching films, trying new recipes, flying our little plane, vacationing with our daughter, planning for upcoming trips, etc.

My retirement has been exactly as what I had thought. I knew that I would miss some aspects of my work but I would have more time to do things together with my husband. I am also looking forward to learning and doing many new things. We are healthy, happy and have the resources to maintain our lifestyle in retirement. I feel very blessed.

The bottom line is that I neither wish to stay working longer nor to retire earlier. I have been quite contented with my life both when working and now in retirement. I was on the fence with regards to when to retire. The voluntary separation incentive just tipped the scale to the retirement side a bit earlier than planned. So far I have not regretted my decision.

Last edited by BellaDL; 03-16-2016 at 11:09 AM..

Old 03-16-2016, 11:32 AM

30,678 posts, read 49,430,310 times
I love retirement.

I hated my job. I spent way too much time deployed [no radio, no TV, no mail, no females, no sunlight, for an average of 7 months/year]. I was involved with a few things that I consider to be extremely unethical. I am glad to be away from that nonsense. Every year spent on the job meant accumulating more minor disabilities. Always hoping that each of us could power through the pains for another year without becoming too badly disabled.

Retirement is much better.

Old 03-16-2016, 12:26 PM

8,877 posts, read 2,756,449 times
I never minded working, since I've worked since I was 16. I was fortunate to have had some good jobs that I enjoyed, along with amazing coworkers in most every one of them.

That being said, I do not miss work AT ALL! It's been 10 months for me, and I cannot imagine being committed to working again. I keep trying to talk myself into getting something one or two days a week down the road, but can't convince myself to do that just yet, lol.

My husband and I are homebodies, love putzing around the yard and house. I enjoy crafting, reading and playing piano. I have now been able to do something I've always wanted to do, get a part in a small town theater play. I could never do that while working, as it's so time consuming learning the parts. I have had a BLAST!

Also, if hubs and I take a notion, we can jump in the car at a moments notice and take off to wherever we want to go. LOVE THE FLEXIBILITY!

Old 03-16-2016, 01:14 PM

13,047 posts, read 10,431,986 times
I can honestly say this whole idea of working for a living is over-rated. My time is so filled, I don't know how I ever had time to fit in a job.

On the financial side, I spend about 1.5x what I used to spend.

Old 03-16-2016, 03:41 PM

1,970 posts, read 1,373,414 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevxu View Post
I "retired" in 1993 though I was unaware that this was what was happening. I was laid off as part of a very large cut-back and then had a bad accident just before my final day. I was 55, expected to recover and have a hell of time finding a new job...until my doctor said one day in a puzzled voice, "Where are your disability forms?" Huh?....Oh!....you mean?....surgery in 1998, left me only partially disabled, but certainly unemployable, so along the way my accidental retirement became the real thing.

I had begun working in a brand new hot shot computer center (in the admin) in '75, so I had long been using email, the various predecessors to the present internet, etc.; and, thus, was already into all the technology that became commonplace in the 90's. That has mattered a very great deal.

Work had always been a necessary evil, my social life was fine - I was pretty easy-going. I had done eight years of volunteer work with persons who were diagnosed with AIDS, anywhere from four to thirty hours a week. Over a relatively small period of time all but two of my own long time friends died. My father was long dead, my only sibling died before I was born, I was estranged from my mother and my beloved aunt had had to go to live in a nursing home.

There was no (work) game to miss, and the constant flow of dying and death had (fortunately) to come to an end with my own accident and disabiltiy. My social contacts were very new acquaintances, and not deeply rooted.

Je repars la zero
/ I begin again at zero as Edith Piaf sang.

I was flabbergasted, more like stunned at where I found myself. It was as if someone had stood me on my head and then spun me around like top! And then strangely "zero" began to seem exciting, and then wonderful. My physical body and my income were my only limitations.

My furniture and stuff I gave away to charities and a few neighbors; I bought a ticket to Europe and took off for a new life on a shoe-string budget. My life had gone from being devastated, to denuded to terrific. I never think of my former work life, I am but totally detached from the madness of American political and cultural life, the dead are dead and I am alive...and as much as may be possible (for me) I began a new life - a new style of life - in places I'd not seen, among countries and cultures I didn't know, making new friends. And that quiet, bookish alter ego side of me with interests that few people or no one seemed to share, now got free rein and tons of time to enjoy itself and thrive...and via the internet as it has come to be nowadays is shared with people here, there and everywhere in countries around the world.

There are two times in my life that I think of as seeming endlessly, magically rich and exciting. The first would be my childhood up to about age ten or so in a beautiful small town in a rural area. And the second, and no less awesome (sorry for using that poor battered word), has been retirement. I could slice and dice, and edit all the other eras of my life to make a prettier picture of them; but the first ten years and the years of retirement seem too full of wonder and learning to be improved upon or fictionalized.
I love this story, both fascinating and inspirational.

Old 03-16-2016, 04:45 PM

4,805 posts, read 1,983,159 times
I am about to retire. The biggest negative that I've encountered so far is the efforts by the Cato Institute and other conservative think tanks to falsely scare us about Social Security.

Old 03-16-2016, 05:21 PM

4,691 posts, read 2,542,465 times
My husband is home every day. It's like a space alien has invaded my space.

Old 03-16-2016, 05:30 PM

1,985 posts, read 3,287,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SFBayBoomer View Post
My husband is home every day. It's like a space alien has invaded my space.
yes, my wife is a tiny bit concerned about this too...

Old 03-16-2016, 05:51 PM

4,691 posts, read 2,542,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tetto View Post
yes, my wife is a tiny bit concerned about this too...
As well she should be!

In all seriousness, though, there are so many things that are important to discuss now, prior to your retirement being finalized. You both need to be on the same page. I can't stress this enough. Couples often have a very difficult transition, especially the non-working spouse or the one who is already retired. The focus should not just be on the new retiree and all the things they may now want to do.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or