U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-15-2016, 05:34 PM

1,985 posts, read 3,287,421 times

Advertisements

Retirees- how did you feel, say two to six months or so after retirement? Did you miss the game? Were you super gratified you were done?? Sad? Happy? I'm not sure how I'll feel after a lifetime of challenge, hard work and political head banging. I have an inkling though that I may be quite happy...what say you?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2016, 06:24 PM

14,018 posts, read 17,729,443 times
Retired high school teacher. Retired almost 11 years ago. Most positive thing is increased free time - not bored because I always had interests outside of work. I was glad to be retired after 34 years, but I did not hate my job. (One can be happy working, and happy retired as well. I was getting slightly burned out, although some teachers last more than 34 years).

I do not miss the game because I was away from it totally for only 10 months, after which I was hired back for three weeks to run the standardized testing program. I did that every year for a few years until I tired of it. But I continued (after 10 months away) to run the lunch time chess club two days a week that I had run while working full time. I still do and I still find it enjoyable.

I cannot think of any full time work which I would consent to do. First, I do not need the money and second, I am not looking for anything to do beyond what I am already doing. Full time again? NO WAY. I feel like I paid my dues in that respect.

Old 03-15-2016, 06:57 PM

6,306 posts, read 5,049,308 times
I retired from the Air Force. Do not miss it because I keep in touch with my friends and co-workers. We have yearly reunions.

I knew it was time to go. I enjoyed all of it and left very gratified.

Old 03-15-2016, 08:14 PM

13,216 posts, read 6,313,926 times
I get more exercise now, sleep well. That's the good part. The bad part is I'm get lazier, I haven't done my tax yet. Where's my time go?

Old 03-15-2016, 08:27 PM

8,393 posts, read 9,136,940 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tetto View Post
Retirees- how did you feel, say two to six months or so after retirement? Did you miss the game? Were you super gratified you were done?? Sad? Happy? I'm not sure how I'll feel after a lifetime of challenge, hard work and political head banging. I have an inkling though that I may be quite happy...what say you?
The game became fecal matter 10 months before I retired. Before that it was fine, nothing worth hanging on to compared to freedom and relaxation of retirement.

We are all different. My career choice was one of the few excellent choices I made. Super happy to be done with it. Miss the game!?! Ha!! Umm. No

No more Bull pucky. Do it! Worst case scenario, be a consultant. As a hobby. Me? No need for the money or fun. Three months into it and the thought of doing what I did as an annuitant does not interest me.

Old 03-15-2016, 09:43 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
22,546 posts, read 39,924,861 times
2 - 6 months after, felt great... 10 yrs after ... Feel better (still several yrs remaining to get to age 65)

Miss the game ... Absolutely not, NEVER have wished to be back, but paid vacation was nice!

Plenty to do, I most enjoy helping others, and I now have more time to do it. Just spent a month in OZ helping a special needs adult vocational center. Last month doing similar in NZ (is it still winter in USA?... Is this still an election yr? No thanks.... Off to SE Asia next week, see you in OCT... Maybe.... Turn off the tube before I come home.

Retire early, retire often..... Too much fun to do just once!

Old 03-15-2016, 10:22 PM

3,978 posts, read 2,537,158 times
You don't have to work, need not say more.

Old 03-15-2016, 10:39 PM

5,236 posts, read 3,010,111 times
My time is my own and has been since 1997.

We have traveled coast to coast, Nova Scotia to Mazatlan, with a cruise to Alaska thrown in.

If a retiree doesn't know what to do with his time, he has no imagination.

Old 03-15-2016, 10:45 PM

4,056 posts, read 2,569,746 times
I am retired 2 years now and am feeling a bit antsy. I was in hi-tech and was very involved in innovation and solving thorny problems. But I was burned out and ready to get out. Now I am not so sure. I read about things going on in the technical areas I was involved in (data and network security) and the competitive juices get going again and I want to be in the mix.

I am sure it is a dilemma for anyone who was competitive in work and loved his/her job. Probably not so much for non-professionals.

I am 64, which complicates returning to the work force.

Old 03-15-2016, 10:49 PM

18,083 posts, read 22,934,448 times
I enjoy not worrying about a monthly check anymore. Mine is small, but dependable. It's a relief.

Other than that, it's up to me to find brain challenges or ways to help my community. All of that is gravy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or