U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-17-2016, 05:23 PM

6,615 posts, read 3,742,110 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowsnow View Post
1) I moved from Minnesota to Las Vegas. I just couldn't stand any more winters that lasted more than half the year. Plus there was less than nothing to do where I lived.

2) I love it! Very happy here!

3) Spend time looking for low tax, low COL, and decent weather.
How did you know you would like it there? What if you hadn't?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2016, 06:05 PM

2,512 posts, read 2,274,913 times
Semi retired from MI to Moab UT. After six years of enjoying hardcore off-roading, decided to move north to ID.

Basically in the winter from this:

To this:

In the summer from this:

To this:

And loving it!

Old 03-17-2016, 07:06 PM

14,227 posts, read 44,887,015 times
Idaho is not called "The Gem State" for nothing. Consider it was about all that Jack O'Connor and Elmer Keith agreed on as well, from a hunting perspective. Although, Moab does not look bad in your pictures. Excellent skiing.

Old 03-17-2016, 08:30 PM

4,343 posts, read 6,054,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ndcoop View Post
1. Where did you move for retirement?
2. How would you describe your experience? (Satisfied / not satisfied / no difference)
3. What recommendations would you give someone considering a new locale for retirement.
1. We moved from Washington D.C. to Florida.
2. Very satisfied at first. Loved having palm and coconut trees in my yard, loved the sunshine, loved it all until it started to feel foreign, flat and hot like I was on the moon.
3. Even paradise gets old. Anywhere is liveable so long as you can leave it now and then to mix things up. Also, there's more to life than weather.

Old 03-17-2016, 09:47 PM

1,091 posts, read 1,598,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ndcoop View Post
1. Where did you move for retirement?
2. How would you describe your experience? (Satisfied / not satisfied / no difference)
3. What recommendations would you give someone considering a new locale for retirement.
I moved from Central California to West Maui almost 2 years ago. I love it here. After 6 months of hanging out I started getting restless and began working again (part-time). I love it! I moved from a 4 bedroom house to a one-bedroom condo. I can see and hear the ocean as I type this. I could even throw a rock into the ocean from my balcony if I wanted.
Would I go back? No way! The one real downside here is limited medical care. Fortunately that's not an issue yet... I came here with two suitcases and my car. I don't miss any of the stuff I accumulated over the years. Be sure to try out your projected location for several months before moving.
BTW: If you move to Hawaii be ready for visitors from home, LOL!

Old 03-17-2016, 10:16 PM

1,126 posts, read 2,457,541 times
We moved from Greeley Co. to Bend Oregon and are loving it. Very active people here and the climate suits us as we love 4 seasons.
What recommendations? Just Do it.

Old 03-18-2016, 05:43 AM

753 posts, read 706,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by [B
DaveinMtAiry[/b];43378650]Hate to interupt but I have a question. We plan on doing this but one thing terrifies me. What if we move and then one of us dies soon after the move, leaving the other alone in a new place far from home. Did any of you share this concern?
This happened to me. We moved from MA to NC when he took early retirement and his "walk away money".
The best thing we ever did for ourselves. Both young adult kids came with us as they were single and wanted to give it a go too.

Fast forward to now. He died 18 months ago. My son and his wife moved back up north as DIL was homesick for her friends and family. Daughter and hubby will soon follow as SIL is homesick for his family and friends up north.

NC winter, as mild as it is compared to up north, is getting to be too much for me. No way will I go back up north but I am toying with the idea of further south perhaps FL. If I am going to be alone, at least I can be warm!

Old 03-18-2016, 06:33 AM

10,459 posts, read 5,922,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandsam View Post
What if you don't move, you both live long lives, and you spend the rest of your life wondering 'what if'? Tomorrow isn't guaranteed to any of us.

My advice - Make plans to socialize as soon as you relocate. Join clubs. Volunteer. Find a part time job (or full time if needed). Make friends that are your friends too - not just couple friends. Cultivate your interests and immerse yourself in the new city. Decide you are 100% committed to the move as being permanent and proceed from there. Life is just too short to worry about the possible scenarios that might happen.
This is great advice and my plan for sure. Still it's scary for a guy who has lived in the same area since he was 2.

Old 03-18-2016, 08:06 AM

30,678 posts, read 49,430,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveinMtAiry View Post
This is great advice and my plan for sure. Still it's scary for a guy who has lived in the same area since he was 2.
Now you to reinvent yourself.

A plumber in his hometown will always be the plumber. He fit himself into that role, he lives that role. His dress, his manner, his vehicle all project that to the world. 80% of the people who 'know' him, might not instantly recall his name, but when they see him they instantly recall him as their plumber.

In our culture, we strongly identify with our profession. If someone loses their profession they go through a sort of identity crisis.

In this case, you are also Dave from MtAiry, that is who you are. your sense of identification.

Every time you move to a new area, you get to reinvent yourself.

Every time you change professions, you get to reinvent yourself.

Say a new guy shows up at a rifle club and starts hanging out on the firing range. With practice and mentoring let's say that he begins competing in competitions, in time he rises to the top and starts getting a ribbon at every event. Soon he has a reputation as the new sharp shooter on the club. Few people would even know where he came from or what he did back there. Anyone new coming into the rifle club would be introduced to him as the top sharpshooter of the club. Completely reinventing himself.

Old 03-18-2016, 09:35 AM

29,774 posts, read 34,856,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mamasplace View Post
This happened to me. We moved from MA to NC when he took early retirement and his "walk away money".
The best thing we ever did for ourselves. Both young adult kids came with us as they were single and wanted to give it a go too.

Fast forward to now. He died 18 months ago. My son and his wife moved back up north as DIL was homesick for her friends and family. Daughter and hubby will soon follow as SIL is homesick for his family and friends up north.

NC winter, as mild as it is compared to up north, is getting to be too much for me. No way will I go back up north but I am toying with the idea of further south perhaps FL. If I am going to be alone, at least I can be warm!
Remember you may be trading away NC winters for a summer that is even more hot and humid.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or