U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-18-2016, 10:13 AM

3,330 posts, read 2,128,294 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michigan Transplant View Post
1. Moved from Michigan to Texas, then back to Michigan, then back to Texas. Texas is home!

2. I love it here. No snow, no ice, no blizzards, no depressing month of March (all brown, gray and dirty).

3. Favorite local places to go can be regional. Be prepared to lose some favorite restaurants, shops, bakeries, festivals, entertainment venues, grocery stores, etc. I still miss (Elias Bros.) Big Boy restaurants, Meijers, Italian or Polish bakeries, fall Polish festivals some churches have, craft shows that showcase actual crafts and not "junk".

Number 3 brings back memories.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2016, 10:20 AM

3,330 posts, read 2,128,294 times
Moved from Metro Detroit to Rural Tennessee

Love it...most of the time...after a year and a half we still get that..YOU AINT FROM AROUND HERE ARE YA...?.'

We already were buying my father in laws house so we had been down here a few times...IT didn't really prepare me for the real life everyday living though...I do miss the variety of restaurants. ...not much here AT ALL...but we made a few friends and are having fun since we are still young 57 and 56...

Old 03-18-2016, 11:21 AM

10,470 posts, read 5,939,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Submariner View Post
Now you to reinvent yourself.

A plumber in his hometown will always be the plumber. He fit himself into that role, he lives that role. His dress, his manner, his vehicle all project that to the world. 80% of the people who 'know' him, might not instantly recall his name, but when they see him they instantly recall him as their plumber.

In our culture, we strongly identify with our profession. If someone loses their profession they go through a sort of identity crisis.

In this case, you are also Dave from MtAiry, that is who you are. your sense of identification.

Every time you move to a new area, you get to reinvent yourself.

Every time you change professions, you get to reinvent yourself.

Say a new guy shows up at a rifle club and starts hanging out on the firing range. With practice and mentoring let's say that he begins competing in competitions, in time he rises to the top and starts getting a ribbon at every event. Soon he has a reputation as the new sharp shooter on the club. Few people would even know where he came from or what he did back there. Anyone new coming into the rifle club would be introduced to him as the top sharpshooter of the club. Completely reinventing himself.
I'd like to reinvent myself as a 1 handicap.

Old 03-18-2016, 11:30 AM

30,692 posts, read 49,482,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveinMtAiry View Post
I'd like to reinvent myself as a 1 handicap.
That is a reasonable goal to focus on.

I wanted to reinvent myself to become an off-grid homesteader, which is about the opposite of what I did in my working career.

Old 03-18-2016, 12:38 PM

3,664 posts, read 2,815,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ndcoop View Post
1. Where did you move for retirement?
2. How would you describe your experience? (Satisfied / not satisfied / no difference)
3. What recommendations would you give someone considering a new locale for retirement.
1. Bah Hah Bah, Manly Mainely Maine. I get depressed when spring comes and we have to give the town back to the tourists. Just kidding!

2. Best move I ever made. Am now a social butterfly with all the stuff to do.

3. Find out what there is to do; make sure the people there are like you. Don't make the decision based solely on money. Cheapest place in the USA to move is the hinterland of Mississippi, but does anyone really want to live there?

Old 03-19-2016, 09:51 PM

406 posts, read 370,734 times
We moved from Northern California to Florida. We are living in a rural part of Florida that has rolling hills, horses, cows and lots of trees. So, it's very pretty. We're happy with our new home. The people are nice, it's not crowded, it's slow paced and very affordable.

As for advice, have a back up plan. Ours was to move to North Carolina if we didn't like Florida. We had lived there before and liked it well enough, but prefer a warmer winter. So, we tried Florida and so far it's working out.

Old 03-20-2016, 05:44 AM

7,136 posts, read 11,022,004 times
We moved from Ohio to Florida.

We love living in Florida. We've been here almost 5 years and I'm still in awe of the natural beauty, almost daily sunshine, blue skies, and warmth, and the ability to be outside without being cold most days. I have some health issue that are exacerbated by the cold so Florida heat lessens my pain. It's also nice to live closer to my parents and be able to spend more time with them and help them when they need it. Moving here has been a blessing.

The number one recommendation I'd give is research, research, research, and make numerous exploratory trips to the locales you are considering before you make the move. Moving is a lot of work and expense and you really don't want to get somewhere and realize you don't like it and have to move again. I've seen lots of people move to Florida only to discover, it's hot here all year long and I don't like being hot, and then move back where they came from or halfway back. Take your time, do your homework, take some exploratory trips, and enjoy the process. Retirement and relocation can be great if you plan for it.

Old 03-21-2016, 02:51 PM

21,919 posts, read 14,414,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveinMtAiry View Post
Hate to interupt but I have a question. We plan on doing this but one thing terrifies me. What if we move and then one of us dies soon after the move, leaving the other alone in a new place far from home. Did any of you share this concern?
If you are basically healthy, and you pass your yearly physicals, I don't know what more you can do. To live your life afraid of dying too soon seems a sad way to live, especially if you don't want to be where are living.

Worst case: you get to your new location. One of you dies. The survivor decide to stay or move. Then he or she either stays or moves.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or