Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-15-2016, 10:02 PM

45 posts, read 81,089 times

Advertisements

1. Where did you move for retirement?
2. How would you describe your experience? (Satisfied / not satisfied / no difference)
3. What recommendations would you give someone considering a new locale for retirement.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2016, 10:11 PM

14,229 posts, read 29,904,573 times
1) I moved from Minnesota to Las Vegas. I just couldn't stand any more winters that lasted more than half the year. Plus there was less than nothing to do where I lived.

2) I love it! Very happy here!

3) Spend time looking for low tax, low COL, and decent weather.

Old 03-15-2016, 10:25 PM

12,858 posts, read 16,769,542 times
1 - Moved from northwest Arkansas to western Colorado.

2- I love it here, I hate it here.

3- Do a lot of time visiting and research.

Old 03-15-2016, 10:28 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,565 posts, read 57,481,475 times
1) I spread my wings for early retirement, age 49 (I added locations with SUN), all are near airports and self supporting (Rented rural acreage with cabin for me). I fly around for <$100.

2). Delighted, will add a more locations (International for healthcare)

3). Search this forum for Lauras list

Identify your MUSTS,
Score your musts and wants in a spreadsheet (worked great for me... Spouse gagged at the thought)
Visit via personal stays / house sitting (get to know the locals & attend events that you would if you lived there) live there during worst weather of the year.

Run the numbers several ways
Add the children / grandchildren factor.....

Do a "What if I am STUCK there scenerio"
Strike out with a few sample trips, various times of yr.

Really understand "Where is home (if you are infirmed)". If you are not single now... Someday you will be

Still want to move?

Do it and DON'T look back!!!! Very important for first 5 yrs. Cut the strings that hold you back, or you will bring LOTS of baggage.

Old 03-15-2016, 10:35 PM

1,399 posts, read 1,241,622 times
I moved from cold, snowy, gloomy Indiana to the abundant sunshine of southeast Arizona.
2. How would you describe your experience? (Satisfied / not satisfied / no difference)
I've been here 5 months and have loved every minute of it. The sunshine has done wonders for my depression, and there was hardly any snow and the lowest temps were in the 20's!
3. What recommendations would you give someone considering a new locale for retirement.
If you're unsure of what area you'd like to relocate, then use a tool such as Find My Spot. I knew I wanted to go west, and the quiz helped me narrow my search to Arizona and New Mexico. Once I narrowed the search to those 2 states, I did a lot of internet research on the different areas of each state and COL was a big factor in my eventual decision of AZ over NM. C-D was very helpful with its information, and I created spreadsheets for both states which had apartment rental rates and weather comparisons. Once I decided on Arizona, my spreadsheet helped me to pinpoint which 3 areas of the state that I wanted to explore. HTH

Good luck!

Old 03-15-2016, 10:37 PM

5,502 posts, read 6,415,074 times
1. Moved from Michigan to Texas, then back to Michigan, then back to Texas. Texas is home!

2. I love it here. No snow, no ice, no blizzards, no depressing month of March (all brown, gray and dirty).

3. Favorite local places to go can be regional. Be prepared to lose some favorite restaurants, shops, bakeries, festivals, entertainment venues, grocery stores, etc. I still miss (Elias Bros.) Big Boy restaurants, Meijers, Italian or Polish bakeries, fall Polish festivals some churches have, craft shows that showcase actual crafts and not "junk".

Old 03-15-2016, 10:44 PM

30,585 posts, read 24,921,573 times
I have written my story numerous times on this forum. I moved to Vancouver, WA from St. Louis MO. We both are very happy here. We have family here, and there was none in our former home.

Advice? Know why you intend to move, and research the dickens out of where you end up going. Prepare for some early adjustments, and continual surprises during the first year.

Old 03-15-2016, 11:58 PM

15,971 posts, read 10,526,043 times
I didn't move until 2013 but retired early in 2000. I stayed put because daughter was in school and a few other reasons. My wife and I always wanted to move west but we were living in Mid-Missouri. It was a pleasant small town. Over time I got tired of the winters and humid summers and all the yard work. Living in the state capital, I grew tired of the politics.

After looking around and almost moving to Grand Junction, CO, I moved to New Mexico and live in Rio Rancho, about 15 miles north of Albuquerque close to the old town of Bernalillo (1692). I always liked New Mexico from the first visit at age 10. I have a house and 1.3 acres on a slope overlooking the Rio Grande and a full view of the Sandia Mountains across the valley.

Very satisfied. The climate is very different and to my liking. Short cool winter with little snow. Summers are warm...not hot...with very low humidity. I don't have AC in my house but have a 'swamp cooler'. Cost of living is low. I enjoy the high desert and have no grass to cut. (I have a weed whacker I've used once) Almost everything in the yard is a native plant. There are three distinct cultures and I like the mix. I know enough Spanish if I need it. I enjoy not being in the city but sometimes it is a little of a hassle if I want to go downtown. Santa Fe is 39 miles away and there is a commuter train that is cheaper than driving. My only daughter moved to Albuquerque last year so now I have family here. I found an excellent doctor. Finding a church I like was more difficult.

Decide what you want in a place and take your age and health into consideration. Consider your family ties and friendships. I have visitors several times a year just because Albuquerque is a good stopover place on the interstate. Narrow down your choices of locations and visit, visit, visit. We decided against Grand Junction on our third visit (I think) and were already looking at real estate when we changed our mind. I made about six visits to Albuquerque and intended to build a house but changed my mind and bought a 20 year old house....be flexible and open minded. Consider bringing a relative or friend for a different perspective. I brought my brother on one road trip. Don't expect to be fawned over or even noticed when you move...you will have to work at meeting people and making new friends.

Old 03-16-2016, 10:37 AM

3,007 posts, read 3,108,685 times
We moved to Weirton WV in December of 2015. from Cape Cod MA. We bought the house here in 2010 to have a cheap place we could afford to retire to on SS only.
Being cheap it is also a bad neighborhood, which I would not mind so much except My son and grandchildren moved here with us to take care of my husband and myself. I worry about them.

Old 03-16-2016, 12:43 PM

37,218 posts, read 60,933,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ndcoop View Post
1. rural Maine.

2. My career required many relocations. Commonly we would transfer every 3 years. So packing and relocating was never a big 'boogey man' for us.

When I retired, we had accumulated four Multi-Family-Residences [MFRs] scatter in different states / overseas. So it was a good time to focus on consolidating down to just one MFR. We spent a lot of time considering where we wanted to live. We did not feel that we had any lasting ties to any particular state East or West. We were very tempted to settle over-seas.

Our real desire was to live in the woods, build a net-zero off-grid homestead and to become organic farmers. By cashing out our equity we had enough nest-egg to do it.

2016 is 15 years post-retirement and I am very happy with how it has all turned out.

3. Do it

If you want to live in Tahiti and brew cocktails, go do it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement