U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 03-18-2016, 12:31 PM
 
Location: Somewhere in deep in Maine
3,658 posts, read 2,813,737 times
Reputation: 4436

Advertisements

Get a lawyer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 03-18-2016, 12:40 PM
 
26,591 posts, read 52,323,935 times
Reputation: 20438
It really does sound like a first world problem when much of the world's population has very little.

I have a very large car collection... no idea what will happen to it after I'm gone.

Several of the kids have expressed interest and their parents said don't even think of giving them a car or a house.

My sister in law said the last thing her son needs is a classic 1962 Corvette... do I want to get him killed?... similar for the Model T's and Model A's

I imagine my shop with just be given away... after I'm gone it really doesn't matter.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-18-2016, 01:13 PM
 
Location: Somewhere in deep in Maine
3,658 posts, read 2,813,737 times
Reputation: 4436
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultrarunner View Post
It really does sound like a first world problem when much of the world's population has very little.

I have a very large car collection... no idea what will happen to it after I'm gone.

Several of the kids have expressed interest and their parents said don't even think of giving them a car or a house.

My sister in law said the last thing her son needs is a classic 1962 Corvette... do I want to get him killed?... similar for the Model T's and Model A's

I imagine my shop with just be given away... after I'm gone it really doesn't matter.
I suggest that you blow a couple of them up before you go. You know like in the movies. Wouldn't it be fun to wire one with dynamite and bring friends and have a party and then blow it up?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-18-2016, 01:29 PM
 
Location: Moku Nui, Hawaii
9,690 posts, read 18,880,003 times
Reputation: 8585
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyewackette View Post
I have one child. He gets it all. Although he has already made it very clear that he doesn't want any of my junk.

So I will ask him to donate as much as possible to charities. Such as my loom and pottery equipment. But I expect he will just throw most of it away as he thinks it is all "junk".

Examples of "junk":

Ankarsrum mixer, just a couple of years old
Potters wheel, brand new and not yet used because I don't have space for it yet
VitaMix, also just a couple years old
Glimakra Julia loom
35mm digital camera, brand new Pentax, and lenses and filters
keyboard
2 harps
native American flutes
saxaphone
flute
my Elan Excellence sewing machine, brand new
All my tools
All my books - thousands of them

With the exception of the musical instruments and the books, most of this was purchased recently after decades upon decades of doing without.

My sewing machine was purchased used in the 80s. I've never had a new machine of my own until now. I did without a good mixer or blender for all those years as well, and very much treasure the good appliances I have now and wish I had not put these purchases off for so long. I did my weaving and pottery at local guilds and parks & recs programs, where they existed, for all those years as well.

In order to see to it that these and other tools and equipment are best distributed after my death, I'll have to identify specific recipients in the area to receive these items because my son won't. The best I can hope for from him would be for him to call Goodwill to come haul everything away. Otherwise, he will quite literally just set everything on the curb to have it hauled away as trash.

I understand it is unlikely that my son, at this late date, will suddenly develop an interest in musical instruments or the tools of various creative enterprises. But come on - at least don't call the things that matter to me "junk" to my face!
Usually the relatives of folks in our quilting group who have passed on will bring their quilting supplies and equipment to the quilting group to distribute among the group. That also includes almost any other 'crafts' type items.

Right now one of our members who is in her mid-90's has just stopped driving and her sons are 'helping' her downsize her stash. She says they are disrespectful of old things and we are really appreciative when some of her old things are brought in for the group so she is glad at least some of her things are going to a good home.

I suppose you could make a file folder with a list of your items, their value and even some advertisements that could be put on Craig's List for them to be sold once your son was in charge of them. Once your son found out the value of that pile of sticks and strings, he might see your loom in a different light.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-18-2016, 01:40 PM
 
Location: Eastern Washington
14,245 posts, read 44,937,745 times
Reputation: 12851
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultrarunner View Post
It really does sound like a first world problem when much of the world's population has very little.

I have a very large car collection... no idea what will happen to it after I'm gone.

Several of the kids have expressed interest and their parents said don't even think of giving them a car or a house.

My sister in law said the last thing her son needs is a classic 1962 Corvette... do I want to get him killed?... similar for the Model T's and Model A's

I imagine my shop with just be given away... after I'm gone it really doesn't matter.
Perhaps you can find an apprentice later in life, a kid who will help you with these cars as you get old enough that you can't do everything - and anyway many maintenance tasks are way less than half the work and safer as well with 2 workers. Will the cars to the kid, along with the shop.

Definitely don't will them or let them go to unworthy kids, relatives or not. So many kids don't appreciate anything given to them, particularly a car. Get a bag of coal (can you even legally own coal in Cali?) and leave the unworthy kids a lump of coal each!

I need to get around to a will. Step daughter is a fine kid in many ways, but I don't particularly want her getting my cars or firearms. She does not appreciate them. Not a car person. Knows nowt about guns. Would probably sell them too cheap to God knows who.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-18-2016, 02:35 PM
 
2,635 posts, read 3,377,645 times
Reputation: 6975
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyewackette View Post
I have one child. He gets it all. Although he has already made it very clear that he doesn't want any of my junk.

So I will ask him to donate as much as possible to charities. Such as my loom and pottery equipment. But I expect he will just throw most of it away as he thinks it is all "junk".

Examples of "junk":

Ankarsrum mixer, just a couple of years old
Potters wheel, brand new and not yet used because I don't have space for it yet
VitaMix, also just a couple years old
Glimakra Julia loom
35mm digital camera, brand new Pentax, and lenses and filters
keyboard
2 harps
native American flutes
saxaphone
flute
my Elan Excellence sewing machine, brand new
All my tools
All my books - thousands of them

With the exception of the musical instruments and the books, most of this was purchased recently after decades upon decades of doing without.

My sewing machine was purchased used in the 80s. I've never had a new machine of my own until now. I did without a good mixer or blender for all those years as well, and very much treasure the good appliances I have now and wish I had not put these purchases off for so long. I did my weaving and pottery at local guilds and parks & recs programs, where they existed, for all those years as well.

In order to see to it that these and other tools and equipment are best distributed after my death, I'll have to identify specific recipients in the area to receive these items because my son won't. The best I can hope for from him would be for him to call Goodwill to come haul everything away. Otherwise, he will quite literally just set everything on the curb to have it hauled away as trash.

I understand it is unlikely that my son, at this late date, will suddenly develop an interest in musical instruments or the tools of various creative enterprises. But come on - at least don't call the things that matter to me "junk" to my face!

These are some lovely things.

If your son is not interested, I suggest looking around your community for places that might value them. For example, your local high school might love the musical instruments, and even the sewing/pottery supplies.. etc... depending on what activities/clubs they have. The local library might want the books. Then in your will indicate where you would like them to go. Or simply leave a list for your son and tell him where you would like them to go, after he takes what he would like.

There are many good places to donate, and it is an awful shame when so much gets thrown away.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-18-2016, 03:07 PM
 
6,322 posts, read 3,581,874 times
Reputation: 22126
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotzcatz View Post

I suppose you could make a file folder with a list of your items, their value and even some advertisements that could be put on Craig's List for them to be sold once your son was in charge of them. Once your son found out the value of that pile of sticks and strings, he might see your loom in a different light.
Just my opinion -


It may be safer to use EBay. I notice quite a bit of crime associated with doing business on Craig's List.


http://www.ibtimes.com/craigslist-ce...e-study-270401


It appears a monitored site may be more secure.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-18-2016, 03:14 PM
 
Location: Canada
5,756 posts, read 4,177,186 times
Reputation: 15486
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultrarunner View Post
It really does sound like a first world problem when much of the world's population has very little.

I have a very large car collection... no idea what will happen to it after I'm gone.

Several of the kids have expressed interest and their parents said don't even think of giving them a car or a house.

My sister in law said the last thing her son needs is a classic 1962 Corvette... do I want to get him killed?... similar for the Model T's and Model A's

I imagine my shop with just be given away... after I'm gone it really doesn't matter.
Why don't you include in your will that the cars are to be auctioned off by an antique car dealer, rather than some lucky schmo coming along at the right time and getting a deal of the century?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-18-2016, 03:15 PM
 
26,591 posts, read 52,323,935 times
Reputation: 20438
Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Mitch View Post

I need to get around to a will. Step daughter is a fine kid in many ways, but I don't particularly want her getting my cars or firearms. She does not appreciate them. Not a car person. Knows nowt about guns. Would probably sell them too cheap to God knows who.
Standard joke around my friends is their wife or kids will sell things for what they told them they paid for it...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-18-2016, 05:54 PM
 
Location: Southwest Washington State
21,899 posts, read 14,397,959 times
Reputation: 30791
Quote:
Originally Posted by gouligann View Post
Here's what my mother did about 5 years before she passed away.(our father had passed away years earlier)
She knew she was sick and wanted to be fair. (GREAT mom!!)

There are 4 siblings in our family

She went through her house with one of my trusted brothers and they listed anything and everything of value, family heirlooms, or sentimental value that someone might want.

First of all, anything that one her kids had given her or brought into the house, were to go back to that kid, no question.

Her and my appointed brother then went over the list and divided things up as fairly as possible and then we all had a look at it and agreed. We were told if we disagreed, then we would have to make a fair trade (which we didn't do)

We all signed it at the bottom and the list was kept in her file folder of important papers.

The end result? No fighting or hard feelings when she passed away and we cleared out her house and contents. We already knew who was getting what. That was the easiest and fairest.
Great mom, yes!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top