U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-22-2016, 09:16 PM

1,907 posts, read 958,286 times

Advertisements

I had a huge collection that I had been working on for 25 years. I downsized and my daughter and granddaughter set me straight that they didn't want it NOW and they didn't want to inherit it. So I set about selling it off. Took a couple of years but I made a nice bit of money off it and took a nice trip. Win-win. I was tired of it and they didn't have to deal with it when I'm gone.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2016, 10:46 PM

17,014 posts, read 17,327,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Qtpie1968 View Post
This and things change. My father left everything to my step-mother, with the idea that she would keep everything the same, divided between her children and me, equally, and he had every right too. She has since remarried and now has other adult step-children that she is favoring. I can only hope that the last few precious items of my fathers before they were married get to me, I don't expect much else. I wish that he would have put in writing the couple of items he wanted me to have. I have asked her to please put in writing her posessions so the right peeps can get them....I would hate for her boys to feel like I do.

I have often seen situations where the step-mother gave things that were supposed to go to her late husband's children to her children instead. It is really sad.

Old 03-23-2016, 11:21 AM

13,570 posts, read 21,712,120 times
I have never been a hoarder or much of a collector and have very few clothes. I was never very materialistic, having been born and raised poor, but happy with what I had. It carried all through my life even when I could afford the "finer things of life"

I have three daughters and a son. I have already given my few pieces of valuable jewelry (including wedding rings and diamond necklace and earring set and a few other pieces to my girls and granddaughters.

Our son gets hubby's guns and one daughter who is the only one interested in coin collecting gets those. coin collection and all children have agreed that my paralyzed son and his mom who live with me will inherit our house, furniture and household items insuring he and she will always have a home to live in or if worse comes to worse to sell for a better place or for assisted living.

All agreed to this and everything not listed here, and knowing them as I do, there will never be any hurt feelings or fighting between them them. All of them have things stored here and they all know that so that all goes back to the individual.

My death expenses are all paid for and have written instructions on how this is to be carried out with thought of making it as UNmorbid as possible for my children.

As a side note I am in the process of writing each of my children, grands and great grands personal letters to be given them upon my death.
Dayton, Akron-Canton in Ohio

Old 03-23-2016, 03:43 PM

14,257 posts, read 23,974,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by germaine2626 View Post
I have often seen situations where the step-mother gave things that were supposed to go to her late husband's children to her children instead. It is really sad.
There are two relatively easy ways to avoid this.

First, give the children the possessions you want them to receive before death.

Second, put your specific directions in your will and provide a copy of your will to your children.

Old 03-23-2016, 07:53 PM

17,014 posts, read 17,327,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by germaine2626 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlawrence01 View Post
There are two relatively easy ways to avoid this.

First, give the children the possessions you want them to receive before death.

Second, put your specific directions in your will and provide a copy of your will to your children.

While that is very true, in the cases that I am familiar with, the father just assumed and expected that his second wife would follow through on his verbal or written list (but, the list was not part of the will) of things to give to his children.

Often some of those items were things that he loved & cherished and that he was not ready to give away yet.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or