U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-17-2016, 08:10 PM

29 posts, read 22,122 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrkliny View Post
I do need to find an attorney for wills and estate planning. Age would not be a factor. It seems the legal profession is full of sleazy characters that I want to avoid. I don't know how to pick one.
Here's some ideas: How to Select an Estate Planning Attorney - wikiHow

Personally, I'm wondering whether there are specialties among financial advisors, like there are for doctors and lawyers. Yes a CFP is a CFP, but someone in their 20s or 30s might not be in a position to give you the most detailed advice about when to start taking Social Security or how to handle IRA distributions.

An older advisor or one who specializes in retirement finances might be better equipped, I'm thinking.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2016, 08:22 PM

4,343 posts, read 6,052,492 times
A retiring physician told me to find myself the oldest doctor I could because they're being trained differently now. Boy, he wasn't kidding! This said, my current doctor is quite young and she's pretty much a numbers reader and an outsourcer.

Old 03-17-2016, 11:10 PM

5,356 posts, read 16,338,796 times
My preference is a younger doctor as older doctors are more likely to retire.

Old 03-17-2016, 11:24 PM

39,522 posts, read 47,675,353 times
Older doctors have more experience and are generally more patient oriented. I find many younger doctors use 'google' to answer your questions then refer you to an experienced older doctor. Sign of the times.

Old 03-18-2016, 06:03 AM

33,876 posts, read 42,076,783 times
My primary doctor is only a few years younger, we were among her first patients. My urologist, on the other hand, is allowed to leave his middle school classes to come to the office.

Actually he's a pretty good doctor. I just like to give him crap.

Old 03-18-2016, 06:37 AM

753 posts, read 705,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
My primary doctor is only a few years younger, we were among her first patients. My urologist, on the other hand, is allowed to leave his middle school classes to come to the office.

Actually he's a pretty good doctor. I just like to give him crap.

LOL that's great- my dad and mom had a great doctor a few years back. He had such a baby face and was in his 30's at the time. Good doctor, great sense of humor- the called him "The Kid". Probably still looks like one too...

For myself, it depends. If I see a younger professional and I am comfortable with them and they seem competent then fine. Sometimes not, so I keep looking. I have fired many a doctor in my time and it doesn't bother me one bit. Sometimes it's just not a good fit that's all.

I have found though that younger financial advisors have left me feeling that they are not a good fit for me, for many reasons. But I have found one that is a good fit, finally- he has to be in his mid 40's and has a lot of experience, very down to earth. Kind of an "old soul" in a younger body. Great guy.

My new dentist is in his late 30's and not as scary as the ones I knew growing up LOL. And the technology this guy has right in his office, well that just amazes me. A crown and root canal in one morning, all done! No problems either. Such an understanding man with this old lady still reeling from childhood trauma with dentists....

Old 03-18-2016, 02:29 PM

7,338 posts, read 16,632,543 times
Well, the first thing I want to say is.........I really like the OP and his question. When I was his age, I got around very few, to almost none, retired/older folks and, in seeing this question, I really wish I would have.

Now, for this Thread: My wife, of which I won't say her age, but will say that she seen the Supremes in concert........she really did! Anyway, I was with her for her doctors appointment yesterday (her every 4 months check-up) and we found out that her doctor is the same age she is. Very glad that he has no intention of retiring anytime soon. So, for her, she does like an older doctor, but for a person who takes care of her weekly computer maintenance, she likes a younger dude........ME! Younger, meaning 1 1/2 years younger in age (LOL).

As for me, I'm getting a new PCP and I'm choosing one that is much older than the younger one I originally thought about. New PCP has been in the medical industry for 27 years, whereas the younger one has been in for 11 years.

Some Services that normal retirement age folks need can only be done by younger people because younger people are the ones that the Services hire...........not older ones. Generally, us retired folks won't see people being sent out for Heating/AC repair done that are 60 year olds. I can't get into the apt. complex office and talk to anyone about the "good old days" because they weren't born back then.

So, would wife and I prefer "older" to "younger"..........definitely yes, if at all possible, of which 90% of the time isn't.

Old 03-18-2016, 03:14 PM

30,669 posts, read 49,416,421 times
My Primary Care Physicians are always young PAs or NPs. I find that they are more willing to hear me and my concerns.

Financial Planners: that is a hard one. We are extremely picky. I married an accountant and that has had a huge affect on my portfolio.

Old 03-19-2016, 08:00 AM

2,427 posts, read 1,663,961 times
My PCP is part of a group practice, she is young and brings a laptop in with her. She emailed me links to my medical portal, with comments on my recent lab work there for an upcoming physical. She is a DO, not an MD and her approach is to view my health as a a whole, not to fixate on individual issues. I've been impressed with her.

My prior doctor I had for years was good, but had Parkinson's at age 60 and was trying to hold on while his daughter finished medical school and could take over his practice. I left before that happened because I felt there was too much going on for him to remain as competent.

As for financial issues, I find it harder to place trust with anyone in that field and believe that they have my interests at heart over theirs, age doesn't factor in.

Last edited by jean_ji; 03-19-2016 at 08:12 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or