Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-09-2016, 10:41 PM

6,884 posts, read 11,240,908 times

Advertisements

This is not a political thread but if anything, I think people over 50 are often dismissed.

Maybe, if anything, this country can have some appreciation for those over 50 as evidenced by those running (Sanders - age 74; Clinton - age 67/68ish; Trump - age 68/69; Kasich - age 63) - and many of these are attracting younger voters!

Possibly not so negative against older folks now....just a wish.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2016, 02:20 AM

8,238 posts, read 6,579,235 times
Donald Trump will be 70 in a couple months on June 14.

Hillary Clinton will be 69 on Oct 26.

Bernie Saunders will be 75 on Sept 8.

John Katich will be 64 in a couple months on May 13.

I find Bernie Saunders too old to be president, and he also is not presidential material in my opinion.

If he were presidential material in my estimation, I could possibly accept his age as being viable for the presidency, but probably not.

Old 03-10-2016, 04:24 AM

10,420 posts, read 14,599,129 times
This thread brings to mind two older men who had an extraordinary ability to attract youth. Perhaps some here may not consider Barry Goldwater to have been old enough to count as he was only fifty-eight in 1960 when he was first nominated for president. He didn't receive the nomination that year, but he received it four years later when so many young conservatives, many not yet old enough to vote, worked fiercely and diligently for him.

We knew that he wouldn't be elected because the entire political establishment opposed him. We kept the faith by doing our best to radiate confidence and we heard an electrifying speech on the eve of the election. The speaker was Ronald Reagan. That speech was the true beginning of his entry into politics. When Reagan received the nomination sixteen years later he was surrounded by youth. He was without any question the candidate of the young.

Let's not forget Ron Paul. His supporters seem to have been mainly old people who had supported Goldwater and Reagan in their youth as well as another generation of young firebrands.

I know what has happened to the country in the last fifteen years. It's depressing indeed. But let's not give up yet. There's another maverick running this this year and he just might make it to the White House. The first and last president who genuinely represented me was Ronald Reagan. When I voted for him and when I had voted for Goldwater I was voting for someone, not just choosing the lesser of two evils. I believe that I may be able to do the same when I vote for Trump in November. He will almost certainly be the Republican nominee.

Old 03-10-2016, 04:49 AM

14,221 posts, read 6,958,731 times
I the energy levels of Sanders extraordinary. He keeps on going and going to fight for the working class and middle class of America. He doesnt have any time to rest as it is just too important with so much at stake. The fact that he also is a staunch advocate of expanding social security incomes by lifting the cap on taxable income doesnt hurt either.

Old 03-10-2016, 05:10 AM

4,423 posts, read 7,365,861 times
Bernie Sanders is a role model, a man with a passion to lead a revolution and change things for the better. And maybe that's what it takes to be visible to the youth around us. Maybe we have to start to see things as they pertain to them, listen to them, take their needs into consideration and stop being all about me me me me. Then we become relevant.

Old 03-10-2016, 08:49 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,563 posts, read 81,147,605 times
I don't think we can attribute the success of Trump, Clinton and Sanders to an appreciation for the aged. While Rubio and Cruz are in their mid 40s, I would blame their apparent failure on other factors than their age.

Old 03-10-2016, 12:01 PM

6,884 posts, read 11,240,908 times
Smile Let's just say....

Say one or two candidates were over 60; rest younger.

I can see the media using the age as a negative. We're all sick of the media but it's nice to see such vitality and not any negative comments (so much) in the constant media barrage we all get.

Maybe now, an employer would look at someone over 50 a bit differently. Look at these role models out there LOL.

The race has definitely had its moments and I'm in Florida. Also, I'm in Palm Beach County (land of the hanging chads). However, that ballot in question (IMO) was an easy to read ballot and I'm talking from someone with poor vision. (Year 2000 for those that need a reminder).

The precinct in question was all 55 plus communities.

Old 03-11-2016, 09:56 PM

7,774 posts, read 6,383,187 times
Cruz is younger, vote for him.

Old 03-12-2016, 10:41 AM

6,926 posts, read 6,934,737 times
I don't feel a candidate on either side of the spectrum is "better" based on age alone. However, older candidates like Hillary or Sanders are an inspiration to me. I'm 64 and sometimes I have some pretty black moment thinking my "useful" life is over with. Then I see 67 year-old Hillary or 72 year-old Bernie hitting the campaign trail with all the enthusiasm and stamina as if they were both still in their 20's. If they can retain that sort of energy and passion, then so can I. Reagan served in the White House between the ages of 70 to 78. It's about time people stop writing off others due to their age. We have the wisdom of a lifetime behind us, we've experienced all sorts of things that younger people have not, and many of us would like to leave a positive legacy behind for future generations. Sounds pretty good to me.

Old 03-12-2016, 01:49 PM

8,238 posts, read 6,579,235 times
Hillary is 68 and will be 69 in October.

Bernie Saunders is 74 and will be 75 in Sept.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement